The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ripple ice  (Read 956 times)

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ripple ice
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Went out today for a couple hours ice by cancuns is shady and weak. Walk across towards the school and some spots with weeds in the ice was maybe an inch. Set up and watched a guy walk across and head towards the cove by 122 and school. 30 minutes later here the fire siren going off don't even think about going to see if the guy made it across. 5 minutes later two cops standing up in the hill and realized guy must have fallen in and someone called ran over to check the cove and see him standing up in the trees dripping wet

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Ripple ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I don't know how many times I have to warn people, probably over 20 now, that the ice from Cancun to ¾ the way in any direction across to the school is crap!!!!! PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL! It was one chop through on Sunday out in the middle to the restaurant, it hasn't gotten any better!!! This yahoo that fell in, walked right across the worst area towards a completely open channel that cuts right across the ENTIRE cove!!! When will people use some common sense!? NOBODY should have even gotten on over at the restaurant! Do what ALLOT of people have done this year, pm me, most of you know I've been fishing it since December and every year. I KNOW THE SAFE ICE, I just left there , I was  fishing it yesterday in the rain. I went to check it and see how it's doing, still FINE if you know where to access and stay! SOLID edge still too! Cancun edge has been JUNK for a while now !!!!!!! Well maybe now the yahoos will stay home!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:50 PM »
I'll what's been said a thousands times already, and will be said a million times more...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Don't hold back, BASSQUATCH.  Say what you really think!  ;)

Why would anybody try walking across one inch of ice?  We have months of way below zero temps up here, and I don't know anyone who goes out on less than four inches.

Ted

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Don't hold back, BASSQUATCH.  Say what you really think!  ;)

Why would anybody try walking across one inch of ice?  We have months of way below zero temps up here, and I don't know anyone who goes out on less than four inches.

Ted
1" is what someone else said. I know there's pockets where the weeds are right up into the ice, that may have only had an 1" or so? I haven't gone near that area in probably 2 weeks now. It was a consistent 4" across most of the thinner area on Monday. Then more rain and warm air ate away at it! I've been staying in on the 5"-6" area. Been checking it almost daily in the good area . NO PLANK needed where I access and that side sees allot more shade than 90% of the pond. Every other access has had open water for a while, cancun has a 6' 2x6 plank sitting on a weak edge ! Surprised anyone even got on, let alone got across the middle!

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Weed areas were basically just slush on top of water shoreline by Cancun is def a no go after today couple other spots I checked today were crap so returned to the rip. Be safe out there I'm going to hold off fishing for a week or two till we get some cold the ice varies way to much where it is safe

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:35 PM »
I know the EXACT area that had first ice. I marked the lip where it thinned out with sticks , chopped a small hole and stuck them into the ice standing up. The sticks are still there. Its not a perfect straight line either, if you didn't see it first ice, you just won't know. I take extreme measures to mark out areas to stay in. This is a small area compared to the rest of the pond. Even this area won't last if these temps keep up, which it looks like they will.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:56 PM »
I don't know how many times I have to warn people, probably over 20 now, that the ice from Cancun to ¾ the way in any direction across to the school is crap!!!!! PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL! It was one chop through on Sunday out in the middle to the restaurant, it hasn't gotten any better!!! This yahoo that fell in, walked right across the worst area towards a completely open channel that cuts right across the ENTIRE cove!!! When will people use some common sense!? NOBODY should have even gotten on over at the restaurant! Do what ALLOT of people have done this year, pm me, most of you know I've been fishing it since December and every year. I KNOW THE SAFE ICE, I just left there , I was  fishing it yesterday in the rain. I went to check it and see how it's doing, still FINE if you know where to access and stay! SOLID edge still too! Cancun edge has been JUNK for a while now !!!!!!! Well maybe now the yahoos will stay home!

Keith, it is more likely, since the imbecile fell through, that the ignorant will assume that the entire lake is bad and will hassle you needlessly. Just sayin.....
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:17 PM »
Keith, it is more likely, since the imbecile fell through, that the ignorant will assume that the entire lake is bad and will hassle you needlessly. Just sayin.....
They can hassle all they want, its at the point now that the pond is approaching no safe ice.  Time for everyone to buy a chisel and don't walk into open water! This guy must have had his eyes shut!?

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:34 PM »
I was just told the guy refused help from ambulance and walked away from the scene. Probably should go buy a striker floating suit for his next swim, which will most likely happen again. To walk across that ice was the first of his mistakes today! Maybe it was a wake up call to use better judgment and properly check the ice.

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:50 PM »
When the cops came I ran over to check for him and just seeing the conditions I wouldn't have gone anywhere near what he fell into. Very poor judgement buy someone who had no business even stepping foot out there crap I put my foot through 2 feet from the shore just getting off today. Having knowledge of ice safety is great but just because you see tracks or someone out there doesn't make it safe. Even if I see people I check it with the conditions we have had

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:21 PM »
When the cops came I ran over to check for him and just seeing the conditions I wouldn't have gone anywhere near what he fell into. Very poor judgement buy someone who had no business even stepping foot out there crap I put my foot through 2 feet from the shore just getting off today. Having knowledge of ice safety is great but just because you see tracks or someone out there doesn't make it safe. Even if I see people I check it with the conditions we have had
3 guys walked across from Cancun on Monday and I saw them Tuesday afternoon out in the same area , they fished down by the flag pole where the river comes in. Their entire walk was poor judgement! They are ALL lucky! I warned them, they chose to not listen.

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Since there was no sign of ice anywhere near me, I was thinking of taking my annual trip for a visit Keith, but guess I will have to wait a bit.  Not sure I  could use your access.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:25 PM »
Since there was no sign of ice anywhere near me, I was thinking of taking my annual trip for a visit Keith, but guess I will have to wait a bit.  Not sure I  could use your access.
its on its last leg anyways Bob. Its still fishable but the area is decreasing by the day now. Yes that hill can be tricky for sure, I'm just used to it from winter and summer fishing. Hope to see you soon though, I'll keep you informed of its progress.  Take care

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.