The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Lithium Lazer 3 year review  (Read 3588 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Strikemaster Lithium Lazer 3 year review
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:52 AM »
Bought the lithium lazer when it first came out.   A little history, I have owned a jiffy, eskimo and nills power auger.   

first impressions:
Thing is rock solid, its built like a power auger.   Its heavy duty...and HEAVY.

Surprsingly loud - not like a gas auger, but the gears meshing is quite noisy.

Batteries and life:
Bought a second battery when I purchased the auger.   The batteries are heavy, but well built, like everything on this auger.

I purposefully left it out in my car after fishing in extremely cold weather (night time low was pushing -30F day time highs around 0), took it out the next day on the same battery, and was able to drill all the holes I needed all weekend on the one battery (approx 30 holes through 12"-18" of ice).   When the battery was at its coldest, the auger definitely spun slower, but still easily cut the holes i needed.

I have still never run one battery out during a day of fishing, even run and gun.

performance:  Cuts easily, cuts fast.  The weight can be a lot, I take my hand auger when the ice is thin or if there is a lot of snow or a steep shoreline hill.   Three years in, and zero reduction in battery performance.

overall:  Its a great tool, purpose built and designed for many years of hard use.  I feel like I could use this auger every day if I was a guide and it would last for many years.   

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Strikemaster Lithium Lazer 3 year review
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2017, 06:37 PM »
just picked up this auger in 10in. for $545 from fish307. have the ion but has the 8in. it would cost me the price of the strike master to buy the 10in. ion bit and the new ion x battery so ill just sell my ion and go with the strike master. hope she handles -20f weather well. my ion was struggling at below 0 temps.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:58 PM »
just got the strike master. looks solid ! charging the bat. now. might get to try it this weekend! they say 56 holes with the 8in. bit in 2 feet of ice. should get around 40 for the 10in.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:41 AM »
You won't have any trouble in the super cold.   Mine handled the negatives with aplomb.  The motor has so much power that even when the battery is super cold, she still has no problem turning the auger.

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:58 AM »
I have a mag2000 in chipper 10" can I just get the electric power head use it with mag2000 auger? or just get the lazer in 10"
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 11:15 AM »
I have a mag2000 in chipper 10" can I just get the electric power head use it with mag2000 auger? or just get the lazer in 10"

as far as I know yes, the drill bit that came with my lithium lazer was just a standard power lazer 8" as far as i know those are interchangeable with the chipper style auger bits.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:19 PM »
as far as I know yes, the drill bit that came with my lithium lazer was just a standard power lazer 8" as far as i know those are interchangeable with the chipper style auger bits.
i asked about that too. they told me only the laser bit can be used with this auger. the chipper bit bites too much and the auger can't handle it.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:27 PM »
You won't have any trouble in the super cold.   Mine handled the negatives with aplomb.  The motor has so much power that even when the battery is super cold, she still has no problem turning the auger.
i read that in the reviews. our ice right now is nearly 3ft. thick. you ever try it in this thick ice? it is quite a bit noisier than the ion but turns a hell of a lot faster. not much heavier and still 5lbs lighter than my old jiffy. can't wait to punch holes! buddy of mine got the 8in. k drill. pretty sweet too. only 5lbs. cuts real fast!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2017, 09:24 AM »
i read that in the reviews. our ice right now is nearly 3ft. thick. you ever try it in this thick ice? it is quite a bit noisier than the ion but turns a hell of a lot faster. not much heavier and still 5lbs lighter than my old jiffy. can't wait to punch holes! buddy of mine got the 8in. k drill. pretty sweet too. only 5lbs. cuts real fast!

yeah its definitely noisier, reminds me of the old electric "power wheels".     I have not had the opportunity to use it in any thicker than 24" or so, at 24" it worked well.

I did have to replace the blades, but after three years, im ok with that.   Fish307 has a blade exchange program, razor sharp like new blades were only $15 with my old ones traded in.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2017, 03:35 PM »
good to know about the blades. ill post my results as soon as i get out again. friggin' -15f windshield factor right now! Brrr!

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2017, 08:45 AM »
[quote author
i asked about that too. they told me only the laser bit can be used with this auger. the chipper bit bites too much and the auger can't handle it.
[/quote]

That's funny because they are selling chippers this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.