Author Topic: Good bye ice.. A Michigan routine  (Read 819 times)

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
Good bye ice.. A Michigan routine
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:27 PM »
Last year Lower peninsula had about 3 days of good ice. This year maybe  2 weeks of ok ice.  Ever since our record snow and ice 4 years ago, condition dropped off the ice map.

How much and how Logn does the ice stay around  on average where you all are from?
A wise man once said nothing. Rob~

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Good bye ice.. A Michigan routine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:33 PM »
going fast shorelines are wet
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Sorry about your short ice season.  We usually go reliably from December to Presidents Day.  This recent thread may be of interest to you:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=339308.40
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Normally early to mid Dec. until beginning of April. Last year it was cut short we were done by the end of March. But this year so far we have at least 6" more inches of ice than we did all last year. We are holding at 16" - 17" ice right now with the snow on top melting down quick. It is probably going to be a slushy mess out there soon if we don't get some cold here quick. Still only about 9 hours of daylight and lows around 32°f. I don't think we are losing ice yet. I have faith it will be a very cold February as usual.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Yukon - Canada

Small lakes are safe by mid November.  Some big lakes stay fishable until the end of April!

Why even own a boat?  ;D

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:31 PM »
The season isn't over yet. We had way more than 3 days of ice last year and the 2 weeks this year has already been passed. There's been safe ice for a while, the current weather is what's killing us now. It will pass and freeze again before winters over.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Here at close to the southern edge of the ice belt it is looking grim through the beginning of next week. But I would rather have it happen now instead of the second week of Feb. like last year! I was out on Sat. Fishing through around 7" of clear ice. The edges are going to melt but they will refreeze and we will hopefully have two or three more weeks around here. So here's hoping for some low temps!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline dntbeamenace4031

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Yukon - Canada

Small lakes are safe by mid November.  Some big lakes stay fishable until the end of April!

Why even own a boat?  ;D

the beauty of CO is that if you go up in elevation you'll find safe ice mid-nov through april but there are still plenty of winter opportunities to take out the boat in a Tshirt down in town.

I grew up in NJ and I truly feel for them this year, almost no fishable ice and the next few weeks doesnt look good.

Offline WalleyeAdventurer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Just move up a few hundred miles to the Yoop.  Slushy, slush everywhere, but I'm planning on heading out Saturday with 39 degree temps on about 6 inches of solid ice.  After this weekend I might be ice-less for a while though.  At least till mid February that is  ;D
DILLY DILLY

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Usually early to mid DEC until early to mid march

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Ice? what ice?.  Down in Indy we had maybe 10 days of good stuff before Christmas.
I live in the border zone.  We have been on the ice as early as Thanksgiving weekend
and as late as the Ides of March.  In 50 years, I can remember maybe two or three
years when we had an honest 6 weeks of good ice.

This year wind kept the lakes from skimming over.  When they finally did they build
ice, but when it got to about 2 1/2 inches thick the weather would turn warm and it
would rain and get windy again........

fish on, wish I could,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.