The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Tire Chains for ATV & Truck?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tire Chains for ATV & Truck?
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:19 PM »
Hello All-

Its been a while since I've posted. Another member got me thinking about chains for my ATV. Then I recalled an incident at Moosehead a few years back where it took us 2h to go about 2 miles due to hilly glare ice terrain. That coupled with the few hundred bucks in Amazon cards I figured I'd pull the trigger on both.
I started researching on the interwebs and found literally hundreds of choices. I'm most interested in quality & functionality (No junk that will break).
So I thought, who better to ask than a bunch of ice experts.?. Between the county boys who live on it 10 months of the year, the Ice Road Truckers of Hermon Pond, and the rest of your experience I'd get SOME good advice. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

In other news:
- Jacks are better than heritage. Unless you like Hertiage. Then the other way around. I  kinda like my painted & poly'd Heritage. But always have an Allagash in the bag. And yes, Smeltslayer (Will) would burn Jacks.
- Never try to diagnose blades from a 30. Just buy an ION, then Kdrill, then strikemaster, then Nils with Tanaka. Then back to the old 30. Was Matt the Mentor all along? :-)
- Yep, everyone looking for the big fish this year. Just lie.   
- Unattended would have helped me a few years ago up to Ross when sled broke down on pee ride.
- S Maine kid fishing, Hinkley park, SoPo.
- NEVER check ice conditions yourself. That is what the web is for.
- Buy at Beans. A sale from what I heard. Also support Linda & Donny... Make Ice Fishing great again!!!!! 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tire Chains for ATV & Truck?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Hello All-

Its been a while since I've posted. Another member got me thinking about chains for my ATV. Then I recalled an incident at Moosehead a few years back where it took us 2h to go about 2 miles due to hilly glare ice terrain. That coupled with the few hundred bucks in Amazon cards I figured I'd pull the trigger on both.
I started researching on the interwebs and found literally hundreds of choices. I'm most interested in quality & functionality (No junk that will break).
So I thought, who better to ask than a bunch of ice experts.?. Between the county boys who live on it 10 months of the year, the Ice Road Truckers of Hermon Pond, and the rest of your experience I'd get SOME good advice. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

In other news:
- Jacks are better than heritage. Unless you like Hertiage. Then the other way around. I  kinda like my painted & poly'd Heritage. But always have an Allagash in the bag. And yes, Smeltslayer (Will) would burn Jacks.
- Never try to diagnose blades from a 30. Just buy an ION, then Kdrill, then strikemaster, then Nils with Tanaka. Then back to the old 30. Was Matt the Mentor all along? :-)
- Yep, everyone looking for the big fish this year. Just lie.   
- Unattended would have helped me a few years ago up to Ross when sled broke down on pee ride.
- S Maine kid fishing, Hinkley park, SoPo.
- NEVER check ice conditions yourself. That is what the web is for.
- Buy at Beans. A sale from what I heard. Also support Linda & Donny... Make Ice fishing great again!!!!! 

:roflmao:  I guess if you are going to come back Paul, might as well make a big splash, you had me cracking up. ;D

Oh tire chains, sorry, no help. ;D

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Looking for good advice on IS is always prudent.

Can't help you on the chains. ;D  Just trying to get my post count up.

I believe Matt was the mentor.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:00 PM »
If you have deep treads then diamond pattern is the only way to go the plain janes will lay below the tread and be useless. I have chains on the back and screw studs on the front works well on glare ice like we have now. Labonville has great chains for atvs to skidders, B&L auto in Bangor has chains But I know you mentioned Amazon just make sure you get free shipping.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:19 PM »
I just got chains front and back for my F350 from Etrailer.com. They were good to deal with and prices were reasonable. I also checked Tirechains.com but they were out of stock on the ones I wanted. The ones I got have 4 tensioners on the outside of the chain and what looks like a real good fastening system. Way better than the old VIP ones I had before. I haven't tried them yet but they look good. I can't wait to try the tensioners, that's the biggest PIA with truck chains, they loosen up quick and you have to keep checking them and re-tightening.
For the ATV, x2 on the regular cross bar chains dropping down in the lugs, get some diamond pattern ones if you have deep lugs. Let some air out of the tires, put them on and air back up and you'll be fine.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:38 PM »
I just bought a set for my side X side and my truck as recommended by a Maine IS member. The company is from Oakland Me. Both sets custom made delivered $200.
Tire chains required, I believe that's the company
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Thanks Gunn. Yes, I’ve pretty much decided on the diamond pattern. I should have mentioned I’m not married to Amazon, in fact I’d rather go look at them. Anyone know of places in S Maine that stocks? I’m going to give Palmer Spring a call in the morning. 

Good to hear they are of better quality CJG. My last experience many moons ago wasn’t pleasant. Did you go with the Thule? I have both sites you mentioned bookmarked. Also, related to my ‘Other News:', if I had these traps- http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=204491.msg2012253#msg2012253 They would ALWAYS be in my pack. Yes, I’m still waiting. Six years and counting.  ;D  

Thanks Doug. I’ll look them up. If a Maine company I’ll throw them some biz. In ‘Other News’, Did you know you cannot discharge firearms near houses? Who knew? Oh, you know the laws. Huh.

Jay & Eric. You’re no help at all. After the number of times you guys have been stuck I figured you'd know the model number of best brands.

How about you plow guys, rig drivers, general McGyvers? I thought someone would have a strong positive opinion on one brand or another?   

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:20 PM »
I have mud lights on my wheeler, originally bought regular chains and exactly what was stated, the chains went inside the lugs. Bought a snowmobile at that point. When i came across a plow and became a member of the Hermon Pond Road Plow Crew i went with Gold Screws in the tires, around 500 of them. Works wonderfully.  The wheeler will stall before it spins the tires it seems. I have a feeling chains might work a little better if your looking to go through snow, but for glare ice those studs are awesome!

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:13 AM »
  I just wanted to say hi, and welcome back Paul !!  Nothing like  making a grand entrance!     Good luck finding chains.       
             Brenda
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline DIXIEDOG12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:54 AM »
I bought mine from Union Farm Equipment in Union,ME.   Diamond chains are the way to go and for durability go with the studded chain vs the Vbar...Vbars tend to get damaged if they get spun at all....the studded chains are tougher.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:49 AM »
Did you go with the Thule? 

I went with Titan twist link and a set of V-Bar

I never had any issues with the V-Bar chains on my wheeler, but had trouble keeping screws I had on the front in the tires while plowing.

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:55 AM »
Howdy Brenda, I hope all is well & you've been on the ice. Not so much for this guy.

Thanks DixieDog, CJG & CSiad78. I actually have about 500 3/8 sheet metal screws in right now but I tend to loose some & hate to think where they end up. (I know, I've been told I'm a cheap effer)

Update for you southerners- Palmer Spring does not stock. RH Scales, Industrial Pkwy in Portland does stock & I'll be stopping there after work. I'll post when I pull the trigger & give them a test 'spin'.     

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:01 PM »
I got ones for my pickup here. They make custom chains for any application, I LOVE mine.
http://www.tirechain.com

Offline Scaler Marty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:08 AM »
Canadian Chains

Address: 617 Skowhegan Rd, Norridgewock, ME 04957

Phone: (207) 858-0690 

They have the v-bar style for pickup trucks

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:22 PM »
So, if my matha...mathe...adding is correct. Your 336 posts are really, like 22688 posts. Not bad for 5 years of high schoolin. Huh

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.