The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Follow-Up To 20 Min Break For Unattended Ice Fishing Traps  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is just a follow-up about the thread on taking a break for 20 mins from having your ice traps under immediate supervision. Some people might remember LD 257 having a public hearing about 2years ago, then it went to Work Session where the warden service said they would add to their Fishing Patrol and Enforcement Policies a memorandum (which I have pasted below) in exchange for withdrawing LD 257. It is a good compromise in my opinion. It lets you go fetch forgotten items from your vehicle, go to the bathroom, go pick up another fisherman who just arrived, or any other reasonable thing needed to be done. It does not allow people to go to the store to get more beer, go to the strip club or any other unnecessary excuse. It's there to make your ice fishing day more pleasant.
Former House Representative Mike Shaw got this information for me from the Maine State Law and Reference Library. Anyone may contact them about any legislation and they will e-mail you all the particulars on said legislation.
Thanks Mike.

" Office of the Deputy Chief Warden

Christopher Cloutier
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
284 State Street  Lll  SHS Augusta. lv!E 04333-0041

Memorandum

To:   Colonel Joel Wilkinson From:  Major Chris Cloutier Date:   04/06/2015
Re:   Policy #48 Fishing Patrol and Enforcement

As part of my General Orders, Policies, and Procedures rewrite, I am proposing that the following subsection be added into Fishing Patrol and Enforcement Po1icy to provide clear and consistent statewide enforcement direction when encountering unattended ice fishing lines.

Field Inspections- Unattended Ice Fishing Lines: When a warden encounters unattended ice fishing lines, the warden will not initiate action unless the traps have been unattended for a minimum of twenty minutes unless extenuating circumstances exists."

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Re: Follow-Up To 20 Min Break For Unattended Ice Fishing Traps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:52 PM »
That's good enough for me. Thanks Dennis 👍
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Thanks, sounds good to me :tipup: :tipup:
Fish have tails

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:07 PM »
You bet Doug. That's why those wardens told you it was okay to leave and go to the bathroom if you needed to. This has been on the books for a couple years now.

Now Gamefisher no longer has to " hold it ". LOL

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:28 PM »
You bet Doug. That's why those wardens told you it was okay to leave and go to the bathroom if you needed to. This has been on the books for a couple years now.

Now Gamefisher no longer has to " hold it ". LOL

Phew, good news. ;D  The only part I take exception to is since when has going to the strip club been deemed unnecessary ??? ;D

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Thanks  Den, it isn't often that you see law changes and discretion that makes sense.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Phew, good news. ;D  The only part I take exception to is since when has going to the strip club been deemed unnecessary ??? ;D

I knew there would be a few people on here objecting to the strip club comment. LOL

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Thanks  Den, it isn't often that you see law changes and discretion that makes sense.

I must say Bob that the Warden Service was very reasonable and willing to compromise on this bill. Kudos to them?

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:14 PM »
As I get older and have to pee more, I welcome the 20 minute grace period (I'm shy).  Heck, half the time I need that to ...never mind.

Wish they had the stripper clause years ago.  Big Eagle to the La Casa and back.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:20 PM »
As I get older and have to pee more, I welcome the 20 minute grace period (I'm shy).  Heck, half the time I need that to ...never mind.

Wish they had the stripper clause years ago.  Big Eagle to the La Casa and back.

:roflmao:

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:42 PM »

It's not the pee that people worry about Jay. It's the other deposits you might make in between traps. Nobody wants to see that. LOL

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:57 PM »
It's not the pee that people worry about Jay. It's the other deposits you might make in between traps. Nobody wants to see that. LOL

Very good point Dennis, even though we all try to look out for JDK while on the ice, he does seem prone to mishaps. :blink: :sick: :woot:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:02 PM »

I mean there is a "fishy" connection.

Of course which gives a better chance to "score a keeper" or "land a big one"??? ;D ;D ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:11 PM »
Very good point Dennis, even though we all try to look out for JDK while on the ice, he does seem prone to mishaps. :blink: :sick: :woot:

It sounds like he's going to need the whole 20 min grace period GF.

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:04 PM »
This sounds fair and reasonable , good post thanks,

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:08 PM »
I love it . Like I said before if I take the shortcut across the open water at the outlet I can make it to the beer store and back with a fresh 12 pack in 18 minutes !! Good rule

Offline OFF THE GRID

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:13 PM »
JDK, Miss the La Casa, Been there many times going to Chamberlain, Now it is just down the road from me, wish it was still open

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:16 PM »

I mean there is a "fishy" connection.

Of course which gives a better chance to "score a keeper" or "land a big one"??? ;D ;D ;D

And there is always potential to catch "something" 😉😝

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I love it . Like I said before if I take the shortcut across the open water at the outlet I can make it to the beer store and back with a fresh 12 pack in 18 minutes !! Good rule

And that's twice I don't understand your post GB???
I stated above you can't go to the store for beer.
Just curious where you're coming from.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:52 PM »
And that's twice I don't understand your post GB???
I stated above you can't go to the store for beer.
Just curious where you're coming from.

I like it . I don't have to pull my traps to do a beer run . Leave the bait down fishing and I don't have to worry about my friends getting pinched for fishing to many traps when I'm gone or me leaving unattended traps .

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand ? Instead of going to the woods to do my business on a 20 minute break I go to the store and back on my sled.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I like it . I don't have to pull my traps to do a beer run . Leave the bait down fishing and I don't have to worry about my friends getting pinched for fishing to many traps when I'm gone or me leaving unattended traps .

Well, that clears that up.  ???

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Any updates on ice by Shep Browns?
Thanks

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:28 AM »
Of course you probably realize that this says I am proposing and does not include the policy where it was ever added.  Lots of things get proposed, hopefully this was actually added somewhere.

" Office of the Deputy Chief Warden

Christopher Cloutier
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
284 State Street  Lll  SHS Augusta. lv!E 04333-0041

Memorandum

To:   Colonel Joel Wilkinson From:  Major Chris Cloutier Date:   04/06/2015
Re:   Policy #48 Fishing Patrol and Enforcement

As part of my General Orders, Policies, and Procedures rewrite, I am proposing that the following subsection be added into Fishing Patrol and Enforcement Po1icy to provide clear and consistent statewide enforcement direction when encountering unattended ice fishing lines.

Field Inspections- Unattended Ice Fishing Lines: When a warden encounters unattended ice fishing lines, the warden will not initiate action unless the traps have been unattended for a minimum of twenty minutes unless extenuating circumstances exists."

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:54 AM »
Yes Mr. Warden, I read on an ice fishing website that a couple of years ago the chief warden proposed that we could leave our traps unattended for 20 minutes.  Yes I realize it isn't in the law book anywhere, that it specifically says you can't leave it unattended, but ......

If it isn't spelled out in the law book ask your local warden.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:35 AM »
Yes Mr. Warden, I read on an ice fishing website that a couple of years ago the chief warden proposed that we could leave our traps unattended for 20 minutes.  Yes I realize it isn't in the law book anywhere, that it specifically says you can't leave it unattended, but ......

If it isn't spelled out in the law book ask your local warden.

You must of missed the first thread on this very topic Moosekill. The thread started out with one of the ice shanty regulars stating that a warden in his area suggested to him that it was okay to run to shore to go to the bathroom or maybe pick up a fisherman who had just arrived. Clearly it was the result of this memorandum added at the end of LD 257. It would be wise for everyone to check with their local warden.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:52 AM »
As gamefisher suggested at some point, gray areas give me the hives.  Usually "checking with your local warden" means he/she is already there.  I hate to be gone for 15 minutes and have a warden sitting at my stuff.  I have no idea if the last 3 parties he checked told him to pound sand, he just found out that his wife is cheating, or he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  As moosekill said, I don't think telling him I read on IS that he received a memo is going to cut it.  That is just me however.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:04 AM »
As gamefisher suggested at some point, gray areas give me the hives.  Usually "checking with your local warden" means he/she is already there.  I hate to be gone for 15 minutes and have a warden sitting at my stuff.  I have no idea if the last 3 parties he checked told him to pound sand, he just found out that his is cheating, or he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  As moosekill said, I don't think telling him I read on IS that he received a memo is going to cut it.  That is just me however.

That's fair enough Jay.
For those who are unsure, worried, and / or paranoid about being written up, simply never leave your traps unattended. End of problem.
For me and some others, I have no problem contacting my local warden ahead of time to see what I can and can not do when it comes to unattended traps. Simple enough.
Now both sides can sleep easier tonight.  ;D

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:15 AM »
As gamefisher suggested at some point, gray areas give me the hives.  Usually "checking with your local warden" means he/she is already there.  I hate to be gone for 15 minutes and have a warden sitting at my stuff.  I have no idea if the last 3 parties he checked told him to pound sand, he just found out that his wife is cheating, or he woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  As moosekill said, I don't think telling him I read on IS that he received a memo is going to cut it.  That is just me however.

I warned you not to have that extra cup of coffee Jay. ;D

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:16 AM »
I have had multiple interactions with wardens in the past.  I have been given different answers to the same question from different Wardens.  I don't think they are trying to do this, I believe they are simply human and are attempting to do their best at understanding a complex law book.  When the law doesn't define unattended it then is up to each Warden to interpret it.  I think the 20 minutes is probably fair, and much like the fact most police officers will give you 5-10 miles over the speed limit before they pull you over, takes into account human nature.  But, if that Warden has a hair across his butt that day, you may well be forced to go to court to get a judge to agree with you about the definition of unattended.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:16 AM »
The truth of the matter is I sleep well at night.  Some things seem rather easy to "legislate" and time away from a tip up seems to me to be one of them.  I can already see the post next year,  "I was gone for 18 minutes to get a buddy that showed up late and got a ticket.  The warden said 22.  Where is that written and how could that mean o' warden do that to me."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.