Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Benton County Fishing Holes  (Read 1399 times)

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
Benton County Fishing Holes
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and ice fishing in general (somewhat).  I grew up in MN and did some ice fishing as a young kid, but nothing nearly as serious as I'd like to get into it.

I was wondering if you gentlemen would be kind enough to let me know some of the bodies of water around Benton and Linn counties that can be ice fished?  I don't need secret spots, where the bite is hot, fishing tactics, bait suggestions, etc.  I'm simply looking for some chunks of ice that a guy can drill and sonar and go from there.  I've been down around Palo but that's about it.  I live in Urbana.

Thanks in advance all!

Offline seiowa

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Benton County Fishing Holes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Welcome Michael, I am new too but really like this site.

I know there are 2 ponds on either side of 380, one is near Brandon on the east side and one is just south on the west side. One is called Koutny I think? and the other is some sort of wildlife area (i use that term very loosely), but there is a decent sized pond. I ALWAYS get mixed up on which is which.

other than Palo none come to mind that would be real close to you but I have seen if you go thru CR and take Blairs Ferry out, there were a ton of guys fishing that backwater area near the bridge. Use caution now though.

Offline andypromx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:36 PM »
http://www.iowadnr.gov/Fishing/Where-to-Fish/Lakes-Ponds-Reservoirs

Go hear and then sort the results by county.  It will give you all the public ponds and lakes.  Not all are good fishing holes, or ice fishing spots, but it will give you an idea of what's out there.

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:45 AM »
Welcome Michael, I am new too but really like this site.

I know there are 2 ponds on either side of 380, one is near Brandon on the east side and one is just south on the west side. One is called Koutny I think? and the other is some sort of wildlife area (i use that term very loosely), but there is a decent sized pond. I ALWAYS get mixed up on which is which.

other than Palo none come to mind that would be real close to you but I have seen if you go thru CR and take Blairs Ferry out, there were a ton of guys fishing that backwater area near the bridge. Use caution now though.

I was probably one of those guys by the bridge!  I'm familiar with those ponds you are talking about; only ever fished the Polk Township Wildlife Area this summer.  I might have to give Koutny (east side of 380) a try!

andypromx thanks for the link!  I was on the DNR site yesterday printing off lake maps, but completely missed the page you are referring to.  Definitely a good source of info for lakes around my county.

Thanks again fellas!

Offline TritleFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:50 AM »
Start driving around the country and try asking farmers with ponds for permission.  I've always wanted to do it.  I think that would be the best option for non-pressured fish.  Probably find better quality too.  Let me know if you need a co-pilot, I have plenty of free time now.

Offline michaelmc29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:07 AM »
Start driving around the country and try asking farmers with ponds for permission.  I've always wanted to do it.  I think that would be the best option for non-pressured fish.  Probably find better quality too.  Let me know if you need a co-pilot, I have plenty of free time now.

Will do.  Are you related to Aaron Tritle by chance?

Offline TritleFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Yeah I know that guy.  He's a pretty cool dude.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.