Author Topic: Carpet inthe bottom of your otter flip over?  (Read 864 times)

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Carpet inthe bottom of your otter flip over?
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:44 AM »
I have always run a piece of carpet in the bottom of my otter, but it's kind of a pain. It gets wet, when it's really cold things freeze to it, and sometimes crap rolls under it and I can't find it. 

I thought it would be nice maybe add warmth, or be quieter.  At this point I don't even know why I do it anymore, I think it's just outta habit.

Anyone else run carpet or do stupid things just outta habit?
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Carpet inthe bottom of your otter flip over?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Nope, sounds like hooks and such would get stuck in it too.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:57 AM »
Nope, sounds like hooks and such would get stuck in it too.

Hooks don't seem to be too big of a problem...maybe only 7-8 times a night do they get caught in the carpet.  ;D

Another reason I wonder why I have been doing it.  Lol

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:18 AM »
I like the carpet to keep things from sliding around and keeping things quieter.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:21 AM »
Get a rubber mat and cut to fit.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:22 AM »
I found a floormat/doormat at Lowe's that fit my Shappell nicely. Low nap on the carpet, doesn't snag or hold much grime. Keeps things quiet, and helps retain warmth. Not too much extra weight for what I perceive I get from it.

Dave

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:42 AM »
I bought a package of foam interlocking pads(24"x 24") at walmart. They are very light, don't absorb water or hooks and keeps thing protected and quiet. BTW they come in handy in the garage, the garden...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Norsk-Stor-240247-Multi-Purpose-Work-and-Play-Safety-Interlocking-Foam-Flooring-Recyclamat-16-Square-Feet-Gray-4-Piece-Set/13253270
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline IceHeadMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:48 AM »
I bought a package of foam interlocking pads(24"x 24") at walmart.

I have used the same floor in the past, and it works very slick. I am looking at the Polar bird house and floor now as it seems it is the right time to buy and the idea it locks into the house is sweet.
Ice is life....the rest is just detail!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:12 AM »
My Bayrunner is carpeted... wouldn't have it any other way. Mine is cut to fit tight so nothing ends up under it, hooks don't get tangled up if dropped (though I'm sure some types of carpet could be problems with a dropped hook), it keeps my movement in the shack much quieter. It also keeps the floor warmer and I always bring my beagle so it makes her days much more comfortable.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:16 AM »
800stealth, those don't come carpeted? my shappell dx300 did. they need to be so you don't slip on the hard plastic floor!

I bought a package of foam interlocking pads(24"x 24") at walmart. They are very light, don't absorb water or hooks and keeps thing protected and quiet. BTW they come in handy in the garage, the garden...
i bought mine from harbor freight and i use a section in the bottoms of the sit inside kayaks to keep the feet more comfortable and dry and insulate them from the water temps.
they are 8.50$ for 4 sections on sale right now. i think they are about 3/4 inch thick and tough foam rubber.

good to toss inside a flip over tub and can be set on ice if your feet are getting cold on long days.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:30 AM »
800stealth, those don't come carpeted? my shappell dx300 did. they need to be so you don't slip on the hard plastic floor.
i bought mine from harbor freight and i use a section in the bottoms of the sit inside kayaks to keep the feet more comfortable and dry and insulate them from the water temps.
they are 8.50$ for 4 sections on sale right now. i think they are about 3/4 inch thick and tough foam rubber.

good to toss inside a flip over tub and can be set on ice if your feet are getting cold on long days.

No... I added the carpet to the Bayrunner. But like mentioned their suitcase shelters do come carpeted... I've also got a dlx3000 and a dlx4000.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:37 AM »
that's strange they didn't add it. i like how they used the plastic tabs on the oversized holes where the tabs go thru so you can change the carpet.
i wonder why they didn't do it on the bay runner. seems like they used it to avoid injury on their suitcase shanty's and this would be worse if you fell inside of it.

looks good, good job!

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:20 AM »
800stealth, that is one sorted shack...nice work!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:59 AM »
Thanks

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Cut a hunk of Reflextic to fit the bottom of my Otter Lodge. Water proof, insulates, quite, very lite.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.