Author Topic: Ice Fishing Gloves  (Read 4035 times)

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing Gloves
« on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:33 AM »
I recently read a post on hear comparing a couple types of gloves for fishing with tipups.  For the life of me, I can't find it now but wanted to add them to my wish list.  If I remember, they were waterproof, tight fitting and seemed ideal for rigging and setting tipups where it requires you to get your hands wet.  I currently do it now with my bare hands and then put my hands into a muff between tipups to get the feeling back in my fingers.  Thought I'd give these a try but can't find the references to the products some on here had used.  Thanks for the help.

Conococheague

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Fishing Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:14 AM »
I have ice armor gloves and they are pretty good. More water resistant than water proof. The problem with any glove water proof or not is that as the glove gets wet the water freezes and builds up to the point where your fingers are pretty much in an ice block when you put the gloves on.
:icefish:

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I just now found the thread that I read a few days ago.  It had been moved from here to the Dressing for Ice Fishing forum.  The gloves mentioned are made by Clam and Striker. 

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:29 AM »
I have ice armor gloves and they are pretty good. More water resistant than water proof. The problem with any glove water proof or not is that as the glove gets wet the water freezes and builds up to the point where your fingers are pretty much in an ice block when you put the gloves on.

I got a pair of the ice armor gloves at the beginning of the season and they have already split a seam.  Not sure if I got a lemon pair but if you go this way you might want to give 'em a good once over before walking out of the store.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:31 AM »
I even tried neoprene gloves once. Worked well until the ice build up occured. I use my bare hands thses days then put mittens on.. Good luck finding something. I think you've already hit on the best solution using your bare hands and the muff.
:icefish:

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I just now found the thread that I read a few days ago.  It had been moved from here to the Dressing for Ice Fishing forum.  The gloves mentioned are made by Clam and Striker.

I have the striker tip up gloves from last season and do not like them. The material on the palm looks "grippy" but isnt. They also dont fit very well. I ordered them a size or two bigger than my normal size and they were still small. I tried them on several trips but just couldnt deal with them.

I went back to my old reliable Glacier Glove Glomitt. Its a fingerless glove with a fold back mitten top that you and flip over your fingers and then off when setting up. Also has nice neoprene palms to keep water out when handling fish/bait. About 10$ on amazon. I also bring a small hand towell. You would be shocked how much warmer your hands stay by just keeping them dry as soon as your done in the water.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:53 AM »
No glove works for me - A pair for $5.99 hanging in the Hessmart works as well as a $100 pair at Gander Mt. Or should I say doesn't work
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I started experimenting with black mechanic nitrile disposable gloves by I think raven....use hem everytime out this season to set up and take down tips , if you are careful about taking them off they are good for the entire day no problem..store easy dry and clean easy and minimize human order on bait

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:42 AM »
95% of my fishing is with tip ups. I've gone the same route as previously mentioned by others (neoprene, etc).  Nothing is perfect.  The balance  between dexterity and keeping your hands dry is a tough one.

Probably the best way is to have a small towel with you to wipe your hands off, then insert your hands periodically into a muff with a chemical warmer....

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:49 AM »
https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/apparel/gloves/performance-gloves/ansell-all-purpose-thermal-gloves/p-1444424128372-c-7082.htm?tid=-8969105233387158749

I have a couple of pair of gloves like these.  The figertips typically stay dry, reasonably warm when tending to rigs. Of course, if you are in real cold conditions, these wouldn't work well.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:56 AM »
i tried the ice armor gloves. the micro fleece fell apart on the thumb area and the water bag the fingers are in split open. clam replaced them with the exact gloves that ended up with the exact same issues. so no more clam gloves.

their newest offering of water proof gloves (Clam Dry Skinz) and they run way too tight on the fingers and so you try a size or two up and then they are too long and still too tight.

i tried frabill fxpe and they were okay, but the index fingers on gloves is always a problem with all of the panels coming together where you want the least amount of seams. so again, these didn't work for ice fishing either.

those rubber glomitts i have too and they get cold too fast in near zero temps and the wool ones are much nicer or the fleece version are too. i don't care for how tight they squeeze your fingers together when the glove flap is down and the rubber ones do that the most.

what i keep using is dotted jersy gloves and put them in my arm pits to remove them and they sorta keep their shape so they are easy on too. if you want warm ones, they make the insulated version with red fleece inside of them. i just break out one chemical hand warmer if my fingers get too cold and make a fist and swap hands. i keep the bag in the palm of the glove.

most of the time, blocking the wind from my hands is enough, so one goes into a pocket while the other is jigging. i switch up jigging before breaking down to get the gloves on.

on the striker bibs, they have the hand towel patch that i use every time i land fish to dry my fingers off with. i am right handed so i hold the fish with my left hand, so that's all i have to dry off. the right hand gets cold from holding the rod and or getting it blown by the cold wind, but i want good dexterity to remove 3mm jigs and not get them caught in the hook.
so as said, bare hands work the best for hook removal anyways.

i was always on the look out for gloves that work for us, but never could find the right ones to keep wind and water away, but can get the hook out like being bare handed. let us know if any one found them yet.

Offline AndRo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:25 AM »
I highly recommend the Clam Dry Skinz

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:48 AM »
as one who has owned 2 pairs of clam gloves i couldn't possibly recommend someone dump their money into them.  a horrible chintzy product. 

my go to ice fishing glove is Th3 Legends fully coated and insulated gloves.  they are awesome for checking lines, landing fish, and even jigging a rod.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:21 AM »
I buy the edge gloves from ice armor, I think these gloves are very warm. I put my tip up in, and check them bare handed.
My hands get cold but when I put these gloves on my hands warm right up. I personally won't buy another type.
They also have a five year warranty.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:29 AM »
I have the striker tip up gloves from last season and do not like them. The material on the palm looks "grippy" but isnt. They also dont fit very well. I ordered them a size or two bigger than my normal size and they were still small. I tried them on several trips but just couldnt deal with them.

I went back to my old reliable Glacier Glove Glomitt. Its a fingerless glove with a fold back mitten top that you and flip over your fingers and then off when setting up. Also has nice neoprene palms to keep water out when handling fish/bait. About 10$ on amazon. I also bring a small hand towell. You would be shocked how much warmer your hands stay by just keeping them dry as soon as your done in the water.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Exactly what I do/have.. tried lots of them...these are the best compromise.for setting up and retrieving. although I always go bare handed when tending to a flag... the towel for drying is key... I also have a pair of Jocco therms.I believe Polar makes them. these are a fleece lined mitt with rubber exterior.. the fleece can be removes should it become wet...these are wind proof and water proof...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I bought a pair of gloves several years ago from the sportsmans warehouse where the thumb and index finger would fold back and velcro to the base of the glove.  Problem was the designers put the hook end of the velcro in a very bad spot, if on occasion, you were to wipe your nose with the back of your hand.

Maybe they had my grandmother on the design team!
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline PikeChaser198

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let it run, it can't get out of the pond
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:35 PM »
I bare hand it most the time.
Ebensburg Fishing & Hunting
3657 Admiral Peary HWY
Ebensburg, PA
(814) 472-5980 / Facebook & Instagram

Clete's Taxidermy Studio
(814) 471-4898 / Facebook & Instagram

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:13 PM »
First off I normally fish with no gloves until my hands stop working, then I need to get into gloves to warm them back up. Tried the neoprene ones but just too hard to pull on. I have a pair of rag wool glomits again hard to get on. Years ago I had a pair of military issue leather mittens that I wore wool gloves under. I think I am going to try and find something like that.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:10 PM »

I too experienced problems with water proof gloves. I had a nice pair of neoprene gloves and my hands would sweat in them profusely. When I took my gloves off to handle tipups or knots or whatever, the gloves would freeze from the inside.
I'll never use neoprene again.
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:36 PM »
Another person that would say leave neoprene alone x5 lol's is me.. any how rag wool or fleece synthetic fiber not cotton fleece is best.. if you can get it with some thinsulate ultra or similar I bought some mittens at menards last year for $4 bought a few more pairs this year cause they worked that good!! They were synthetic fleece like said with a thinsulate insolation I think might have been all fleece?? By the way gore tex is good to and cabelas has theirs with goretex on clearence right now for 59.99 and free shipping with code:17winter... but like said gore tex is very expensive were wool and synthetic fleece is cheaper choice is yours I prefer wool you can get it wet and will keep you warm..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.