Author Topic: college visit to usd  (Read 1125 times)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
college visit to usd
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:46 PM »
so one of the young high school boys i have kinda taken under my wing is taking a visit there this weekend and was wanting to take some of his gear and go fishing while he is up there.  any advice where to start would be good.  any lakes close to town and a little direction would be appreciated.  you can post or pm me either way.  thanks guys.

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: college visit to usd
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:33 PM »
I guess I don't know many places around Vermillion but Lake Yankton has been having a pretty good bite lately. They just killed it off about 2 years ago so there won't be anything huge coming through the hole but should be able to catch fish. Yankton is about a half hour west from Vermillion.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:41 AM »
change the visit to SDSU and your fishing opportunities increase tremendously  ;)

As for vermillion not a lot close and I am not sure how well the ice would be in the yankton area with all the rain and warm weather they got recently.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:28 AM »
that's funny he has one there next month too.  any info for up around there too would be helpful too.  thanks. 

Offline perchfanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Try Buckskin Hills or Powder Creek recreation area. Both are in Nebraska about 15 miles south of Vermillion, by Newcastle Nebraska. Both have bass, blue gills, crappie, catfish, and walleye. Panfish will require a lot of sorting, but did see a 20" Walleye come through the ice at Buckskin 2 weeks ago. Be careful on Powder Creek; the ice has been strange this year-open water around the trees after having -25 temps.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Lake Yankton , the marina above the dam , Marindahl  . I work at USD , Go Yotes !!

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:49 PM »
The Nebraska lakes are ok if you're after small panfish or catfish. Powder creek always has funny ice around the trees. The marina at Yankton (Lewis and Clark lake) can produce some nicer panfish and is a similar distance to Nebraska lakes. As others have said, SDSU would put you much closer to way more lakes but then you just have more choices :)
If you'd like to get on more lakes, barely over an hour will put you close to Madison, SD which drastically changes the amount of choices you have...
Good luck!
Go Big Red!! (Huskers!) ;D ;D

Offline Piking Icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Agree with rundrave........many places around the Brookings area with Pelican, Kampeska, etc.  As an SDSU grad.........I can't help it but "Screw the U"!  Sorry rags but had to get my digs in after the door was opened!  All in good fun of course.......

Back on topic.......I haven't fished on ice much south of 90 so not sure what to recommend over there but am sure the locals will share some "secrets" but not all of them!
Fish Fear me.....

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:15 PM »
LOL Piking Icehole its all good , Yes the fishing is better up towards Brookings , we have a camper on west Oakwood lake .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.