The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Model 76  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
Jiffy Model 76
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Anyone know where i can get my hands in a recoil assembly?? I dont know the Tecumseh model number so its difficult to find parta..
Your Drag!

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy Model 76
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:41 PM »
Hi Shawn,   what's wrong with the one you have please?
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:35 AM »
Hi Shawn,   what's wrong with the one you have please?
the recoil spring has been shortend so every time i set it i get about 5 pulls it comes un hooked.. Not enough spring to keep it set.
Your Drag!

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
Your Drag!

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:38 PM »
I think so from what I found also.  So in theory you only need a new spring?? but you just want the whole thing for convience? 

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:33 PM »
I think so from what I found also.  So in theory you only need a new spring?? but you just want the whole thing for convience?
  Setting that recoil spring is just a pain in the rear end.. But seeing how the assembly is almost $80 i might just have to improvise
Your Drag!

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:00 PM »
OK.... On Parts Tree website, there is a compleat rebuild kit for $17 and change  Part # 590779! AND supposedly there are videos on YouTube that shows how to replace the parts.  If your other parts aren't worn badly, they have just the spring itself for $$4.53 # 590777,   I know very well about the PITA part!!! But a little patience and effort will save dollars!  You might even find a small engine shop that would put it together for cheap.  Hope this helps you!  Regards....

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:01 AM »
OK.... On Parts Tree website, there is a compleat rebuild kit for $17 and change  Part # 590779! AND supposedly there are videos on YouTube that shows how to replace the parts.  If your other parts aren't worn badly, they have just the spring itself for $$4.53 # 590777,   I know very well about the PITA part!!! But a little patience and effort will save dollars!  You might even find a small engine shop that would put it together for cheap.  Hope this helps you!  Regards....
  I went ahead and ordered the rebuild kit.  I re -wound the spring i have now and i get maybe 2 pulls put of it and the spring quits catching.. I do beleive when it was shortened it took that little bit it needed to catch.
Your Drag!

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Alright guys im bringing this back up because i have another question... I got the recoil semi-fixed and got itnto turnover but stalls out after i let off the throttle... Im running 50:1 gas in it and it might be just running alittle lean.. It sugests 40:1 does that make much of the diffrence?
Your Drag!

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Hi Shawn,   It depends on what you are usin for oil in the mix!   If it's any of the premium synthetics you are most likely fine cause the only one I know (amsoil Sabre) is good for 100 to one!   Sounds to me like the jet screws need tweekin!

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:16 PM »
Hi Shawn,   It depends on what you are usin for oil in the mix!   If it's any of the premium synthetics you are most likely fine cause the only one I know (amsoil Sabre) is good for 100 to one!   Sounds to me like the jet screws need tweekin!

was using my 50:1 Evinrude Oil mix I use for my motor... dumping it and going with the Jiffy brand Synthetic blend 40:1 with a little seafoam and go from there... might need a idle adjustment im thinking.
Your Drag!

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Sounds good!   When tweekin my Jiffy,  and have snow I tighten up my blade cover and run the auger in the snow to get idle and jets pretty close. The other thing I like to do is spray the linkages and springs on the carb to make sure the wind vane/govenor thingy works free! They do get gummy and sticky!  How old is spark plug, and gap?

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:35 PM »
im not 100% sure how old the plug is the auger was given to me.. when I got it running I didn't smell the two stroke smell I should be smelling but more of a burning like it was lean.. it also back fires quite a bit.
Your Drag!

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Ok....  With your sea foam mix, even if you need to leave choke on, keep it runnin to clean out the carb of the old varnish.

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2017, 03:46 PM »
will do. I do believe it may need new rings I just have a gut feeling.. but it sure runs good! when I have it to the bar.
Your Drag!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.