Author Topic: Stain heritage Lakers or not?  (Read 2983 times)

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
Stain heritage Lakers or not?
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:00 PM »
I heard that the wood warps over time. I know some guys stain them, but some don't. What would you recommend? Any other mods I should do? My first year using them. I've used Polaris for years. I like both styles but hope to use the HL more

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Stain heritage Lakers or not?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:04 PM »
I stained mine but I also have two that are painted and then covered with a clear coat. I recommend doing it in the warm weather out side. They definitely will last longer. You don't even have to take them apart to paint/stain them.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:42 AM »
Put a good 4-5 coats of poly on them in the off season, repeat every 5 years or so and they will last forever. Just use painters tape and tape off the spool rod and the flag gate. Over time the springs will get warped. You can buy new springs at a hardware store and just cut the hooks off the ends.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:18 AM »
thanks guys. I will try those tips

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:53 AM »
I stained mine and then applied a few coats of helmsman spar polyurethane.  I like the durability.
One thing I have to do is scuff up the area where the crosses contact.  Mine are too slippery and won't always lock no matter how tightly I tighten the screws.
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I think all those ideas are great, but I've had my original set with steel spools that are probably 20 years old and have had no problems. Just sayin.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I think all those ideas are great, but I've had my original set with steel spools that are probably 20 years old and have had no problems. Just sayin.

I have a couple sets of the old originals.  The only thing I see happen after all that time is the spools separate( the new metal spools have a tab that folds over, where the old ones seem punched together) and the spool rod pulls out of the tip up easily.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 05:40 PM »
I have extra stain that I used on a deck. Very good stain. I'll probably use that and hold off on adding poly. I have one spool that broke loose from the wooden upright. I'll probably replace it with a through bolt

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01:27 AM »
I put three coats of polyurathane on my tip-ups (the cross style) two years ago and haven't had any problems.  It seals the wood and looks nice.

Offline Pause Game

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:50 AM »
I've stained mine, and plan to seal them eventually...
One other thing I've done is to added washers to all the wingnut/screw components.  When they freeze over and snow packed that millimeter makes the difference to get them to shut properly.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:29 PM »
Mine are  25+ years old and I redid them about 5 years ago. You want to use Spar Varnish and give them 3 coats, mine still look like this.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:10 PM »
Looks awesome

Tinker

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I think spar varnish is the way to go on anything that has a chance of getting wet on a regular basis. 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:07 PM »
No stain is going to give a perfect seal. Water will still be absorbed where a bolt or nail goes into the wood. Any stain or coating will seal water in as well as it keeps water out. If there is no stain or varnish they will dry faster and last longer. The best way to prevent moisture damage is to bring them inside a heated room after fishing so they can dry. Don't leave them in the back of the truck or in an unheated garage where they will stay wet. After drying them in the house it's OK to store them in an unheated garage.

Online rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:19 PM »
at least seal the wood.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2017, 08:57 PM »
same here......20 years using the same set of 6. Replaced the flags and hardware 2 season s ago using the kits from heritage...No warping. Good to go.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.