The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ion X  (Read 3100 times)

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ion X
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Anyone upgrade yet? Noticeable improvements over the first gen model?

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ion X
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:24 AM »
I think if you do a search you will find out that myself and a few others made many comments about the ION X.  I
love mine.

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:36 AM »
I got the X but have not tried it yet. I'll be trying it this weekend sometime.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:25 PM »
I got the ion x this year,  I like my propane 10 in better

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:47 PM »
I think if you do a search you will find out that myself and a few others made many comments about the ION X.  I
love mine.

From what I have seen I think I will just upgrade to the new battery for my first gen model. Keep the old battery for a spare. More holes = no brainer. Just don't know if replacing the powerhead and bit are worth it. Maybe someone thinks so???

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:16 PM »
I got the ion x this year,  I like my propane 10 in better

What is it that you don't like about the Ion?
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:02 PM »
I purchased the new battery at beans and its great. Drilled close to 75 holes on it and trying to drain the battery still on 2 bars I believe it's not good to charge when not completely dead. I'm just keeping the other one for a spare. Though I think the blades are more important with the ion, I hit sand the other day and wouldn't even start another hole. 40 $ later and it wants to spin out of my hand.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:13 AM »
What is it that you don't like about the Ion?
z

I like the 10 in hole better on colder days.   After about 40 holes the ion stop cutting well and I'm very carefull with it might be bad blades

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:36 PM »
You can buy the 10in bit for the ion. Yeah cots more money but I have the ion first gen and I love it everytime I use it. Especially when I see someone pulling and pulling to get thir auger started.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:45 PM »
I've got the ion also , love it never close to draining battery. Like all lithium batteries it doesn't take a set when charging  a battery. You can charge it at whatever level it gets to. I charge mine after every use and every 4-6 months in off season. Still drilling 30 -40 holes and never goes below 1/4 down after 3 yrs. after checking the research on lithium batteries , they say better to charge small charges and not to run battery flat. Big charges tend to stress the battery. :tipup:

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:15 PM »
It was nice having the 10" hole this past weekend very cold even with a 10" hole freezing up solid with in an hr. I have the ion when very cold like this past weekend blade freezes quick does not cut as well. Warmer days not an issue. Keep battery warm last Saturday was brutal up north.

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:48 PM »
I used my 8 inch Ion X last weekend. It cut great. Was very impressed with how light and fast it cut through the ice...It cut faster than my new eskimo 10 inch propane I had last season without the arm jerks. Did not hardly pull at your arms at all just went right through the ice.. :tipup: I'll be testing the 10 inch blade next month.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:55 AM »
I used my 8 inch Ion X last weekend. It cut great. Was very impressed with how light and fast it cut through the ice...It cut faster than my new eskimo 10 inch propane I had last season without the arm jerks. Did not hardly pull at your arms at all just went right through the ice.. :tipup: I'll be testing the 10 inch blade next month.

Keep us posted on how the 10 inch works,  thinking of getting the 10 in as well.

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:08 AM »
in big ice and cold temps, the 10 is night and day ugly against the 8. about as 25% as effective

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:19 AM »
Right now I am very happy with the ION X.  I have been cutting with gas augers since they were first
invented, and this is the best auger I have ever used.  I am putting 10 inch ION bit on my Xmas list
for next year.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2017, 01:50 PM »
z

I like the 10 in hole better on colder days.   After about 40 holes the ion stop cutting well and I'm very carefull with it might be bad blades

I have contracted ION,  they had some defective Bits,  the customer service is excellent , they are exchanging the bit for me!   AWESOME!

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2017, 07:06 PM »
I have contracted ION,  they had some defective Bits,  the customer service is excellent , they are exchanging the bit for me!   AWESOME!

Yes the CS has been top notch if you do have a (rare) problem. Bit cover was cracked out of the box. Had TWO replacements at the door in a couple days. So many advantages to the platform. Biggest I think is no gas or oil residue or scent on hands to contaminate jigs and/or bait.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:45 AM »
i bought the 1st generation 2 years ago and i love it! i am going to buy their x battery next season. i have a eskimo gas auger. wonder if that 10in. bit will work on my ion? they're both made by ardisam. gonna have to drop them a email.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2017, 03:50 PM »
anybody purchase the 10 inch bit for the ION X?   any icing up issues?

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:24 PM »
When really cold blades ice up, biggest issue I have had still like it a lot better than propane an gas. I have had both. I have heard the ion does not cut nearly as well with 10" auger. Does not spin fast enough

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:53 PM »
  the gear box they are selling for$ 55.00 would be the way to go increase power and more holes on the same charge.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:14 AM »
Ordered the 10 inch, I'll keep you posted.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:23 PM »
A friend of mine in the Greenville area has the 10 inch bit, and says it cuts no different than the
8 inch.  I can't believe how much quicker I can get my hole in and start setting.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02:54 PM »
  the gear box they are selling for$ 55.00 would be the way to go increase power and more holes on the same charge.

where did you see the gear box for sale?

Offline icefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:42 PM »
I saw them on ebay.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Anyone upgrade yet? Noticeable improvements over the first gen model?
I'll be up to see if I like the first generation before I buy a second generation
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2017, 03:51 PM »
Gasblaster had posted the link this past week. I was going to pick up one but now I can't find the link .Bass pro has one for $69.00

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Those were for the clam plate . I don't think it would work with the ion

Offline KingfisherMM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:33 PM »
Absolutely LOVE my Ion. 40 holes with the 8" blade in 18" of ice. Same results 15 different outings. My friend upgraded to the 10" and only gets 15 holes in the same ice. I bought the extra battery and the carry bag that has mesh holders for hand warmers to keep the batteries warm on extreme days. The reverse option is excellent too but the best part is that it weighs half of my old gas unit.
I have only good things to say about it.
Mark

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:19 AM »
Absolutely LOVE my Ion. 40 holes with the 8" blade in 18" of ice. Same results 15 different outings. My friend upgraded to the 10" and only gets 15 holes in the same ice. I bought the extra battery and the carry bag that has mesh holders for hand warmers to keep the batteries warm on extreme days. The reverse option is excellent too but the best part is that it weighs half of my old gas unit.
I have only good things to say about it.
Mark

have you ever got ice up issues?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.