The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Cadillac/Mitchell tactics  (Read 2217 times)

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Can't catch em' on the couch
Cadillac/Mitchell tactics
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Going up for a second year.  Last year we fished Cadillac hard and only dink perch.  Any bright ideas?
Tight lines and loose morals!

Offline kibbe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cadillac/Mitchell tactics
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:36 AM »
I suggest sticking to coves on Mitchell, almost guaranteed success

Offline bluegillJake

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Looking for ice time
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:36 PM »
kibbe - the bite this year has been pretty scarce.  I've been up a couple weekends this season and haven't had much luck getting them to bite.  I watch them on the electronics and just look but no go.  Have you done something in particular this year to get bites instead of looks?

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Fished Mitchell tonight Thursday 01-19-17

Over a foot of ice with trucks driving on the lake.

Very slippery with a half inch to over two inches of slush on top.

Seen a guy try to walk out without cleats, but he gave up and went back to shore.

I have been trying new spots when I go to Mitchell with varying degrees of success.

The crowds will show you where to start.

Caught four pike with one just over 24" and some small perch. 

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:02 PM »
We'll be out Feb 3rd to the 5th with a 4x4 quad on chains.  Coming from cadillac side though.  Lake passable enough by quad to get to the opposite side by the coves?  I like the depth charts on that side and have some other spots I want to drill. 

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:04 PM »
There are Several access points around Mitchell.

I believe Sleds and Quads are also allowed on the shoulder of the road, so you should be able to ride to an access point.

Stop at Pilgrims Village. They have lake/trail maps and are a excellent source for information.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.pilgrimvillagefishing.com/

Make sure to click on the fishing report for info and tips

Good Luck all :tipup:

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:27 AM »
I just saw that my favorite greasy spoon restaurant up there burned down..The Frosty cup....No more number 5 breakfasts for awhile... :(

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:11 AM »
There are Several access points around Mitchell.

I believe Sleds and Quads are also allowed on the shoulder of the road, so you should be able to ride to an access point.

Stop at Pilgrims Village. They have lake/trail maps and are a excellent source for information.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.pilgrimvillagefishing.com/

Make sure to click on the fishing report for info and tips

Good Luck all :tipup:

We're camping straight across the road from Pilgrims.  Same spot as last year.   Great little Shop.  Saw Sleds getting on the lake right behind their place.   If we access there is the ice well enough to clear to the other side?   (Currently)

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Of course I wont guarantee any ice  :)

But I did see sleds and quads running full length and width of the lake and some were starting at the boat launch next to Pilgrims and going across to the other side.

Double check with Pilgrims when you get bait, they live right there and always have the most up to date information.

Good luck all  :tipup:

Offline kibbe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:59 PM »
No tricks really, just sticking with the wax worms in 8-10 feet and having some fun. Nothing huge or anything, but I enjoy pretty much any size fish!

And there's a launch right in smallest cove and a spot to get on by big cove (camp torenta) if you're able to get your quad over there, then no one would need to worry about crossing entire lake as the 45-50 degrees expected tomorrow makes me nervous.

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Looking at possibly going first weekend of February.  Warmer temps the next week but looks like highs below freezing and lows in the teens after next weekend.  Hopefully stays like that wat the whole week prior to getting there. 

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:46 PM »
I was on Mitchel this morning. There's easily a foot or more of ice still. Quads and snow machines all over.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline bradh86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:25 PM »
Tried Cadillac 01-21-16 still about 11" but 1-2 are soft slush ice. Went off power plant side. was slow. one flag and a rock bass. Marked some fish but hard to get them to bite.

Offline bobkane23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Fished small cove last week with good success on crappie and pike.  Caught the crappie in 5-6 fow on both waxies and minnows.

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Are people just depressed about the weather or what?!  It's like crickets on here. Be on Mitchell in exactly one week, hopefully with fish on the ice by this time next Friday.  Somebody give me something, a fish picture, an "I got skunked" report or dropped my phone in the hole update...GPS to the hot walleye bite....something!  WHO'S STILL PUMPED ABOUT THE HARD WATER C'MON!

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2017, 09:05 AM »
good luck . I'm fishing every day that the ice is safe!! I will be making several trips up in the next 2 months.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Are people just depressed about the weather or what?!  It's like crickets on here. Be on Mitchell in exactly one week, hopefully with fish on the ice by this time next Friday.  Somebody give me something, a fish picture, an "I got skunked" report or dropped my phone in the hole update...GPS to the hot walleye bite....something!  WHO'S STILL PUMPED ABOUT THE HARD WATER C'MON!

Love the enthusiasm!!

I will be fishing Mitchell for the first time on Friday, and plan to fish non-stop (excluding a couple hours of sleep) until Sunday. I’m leaving at 2am for a 6hr drive in hopes to just make it on the ice in time to catch the end of the morning bite.

Even if the fishing isn’t great, it is going to be 10X better than sitting in Ohio wishing for ice!

I’m busy researching the forums, studying maps, and getting all my gear prepped. Buck’s fishing report is probably going to ban my IP since I visit the website so often.

So, somebody please post a pic of a nice catch from Mitchell or Cadillac to help feed my excitement.

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2017, 01:09 PM »
We'll be on same time frame!  Pilgrim village has a weekly update on facebook and their website with pics of some dandy fish being caught.  Just got my rig all ready to go, look for us in a frabill flip over, starting near small cove, if no good I'll leave my buddy and hit up some some spots that look enticing I found on the depth chart.  We'll be fishing Friday afternoon and night, all day Saturday and Sunday morning.  CAN'T WAIT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.