Author Topic: Walleye Challenge (cancelled)  (Read 3630 times)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
Walleye Challenge (cancelled)
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Great Sagandaga has 12" of ice,with some cold weather headed back in after this weekend. The tourney should be on the 28Th, we have six guys in the challenge from Ice shanty. only walleyes count toward the prize money,$75,000 up for grabs, they pay every hr for 8 hrs' Guess were I'm going to be?? ch-aching$$ :icefish:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Walleye Challenge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Should be good to go.  Northville had a 12" 4 weekends ago I was shocked!  Good luck out there!

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:42 PM »
I'm ready , checked ny regs on bringing bait. It needs to be certified disease free. Need receipt with sellers name date sold, species of bait and how many sold. Receipt can't be more than 10 days old.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:09 AM »
Can be bought here in Ct. and transported?

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:17 AM »
Theater what it said on their website, I sent a email to their office ,waiting for them to guest back to me. The way it looks the disease free cert important. :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:44 AM »
Can be bought here in Ct. and transported?

Yes it's weird but for them to consider it certified you just need to have a receipt with the info bug mentioned and you'll be fine. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:04 AM »
Not sure about the bait regs, I'm curious to hear the DEC response to bugchazer's inquiry. I hope Jon is correct, that would be nice for us. Unfortunately bait may be unnecessary since a quad went in the lake yesterday at Sinclair Point and open water was reported near Lanzi's.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:17 AM »
Ny dec answered back. They said as long as it meets their standards it's fine. They also said the bait dealer would know if they met ny standards :tipup:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Ny dec answered back. They said as long as it meets their standards it's fine. They also said the bait dealer would know if they met ny standards :tipup:

Good news

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:53 AM »
Best of luck to you guys!!! Sounds like a good time

Offline paul82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Fishin this lake last Sunday,  ice was 8 to 10 inch, people drive  cars on lake, we have no luck , setup 25 tips and nothing , jigging not so well also, few diks perch, similar results  two weeks ago,  got there few monster pike and decent walleyes in past, good luck

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Looking at an aireail picture of where the side by side went thru , the pressure crack comes off the end of Sinclair and looks like it heads towards lanzis( maybe ) .

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:41 PM »
great news on the bait,not so great on the break through, there are always pressure cracks on that lake, its 10 days out.as long as Tag's has the paperwork we will get it there. we will be prefishing friday.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:28 PM »
It's below where we will be , hopefully it stays there. Looks like it get cold for tourny day.

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:58 PM »
They always ask for license not bait receipt till you hit the big $........

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:32 PM »
The 10 day outlook in Mayfield, temps below freezing every night, some days above freezing,seeing we have 2 more hrs. of darkness than daylight  Ice making will be on the plus side. being at the foothills of the Adirondacks  also helps lower the temps.
I have to say I never had a warden check my bait,did check #s of tip ups as well as license 

Offline orngcrush17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing better than fishing memories
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Hello gents, can't wait to get out there.  We were stopped coming off a body of water a few weeks back.  Checked bait/ receipt, every bag, sled, bucket.  Nice to see our NYS DEC trying to catch the pirates.
Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime.... take your kid fishing and never stop smiling.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:10 AM »
How much to enter this challenge
Go big or go home

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:33 AM »

The way I understand the NY regs  is that if you don't have a receipt from a NY bait dealer it's not legal bait. I think this answer from DEC about their standards is if it's bought in NY it's good, not brought over the line.

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I know Tag's gets shiners' from the same dist. that sells in N.Y.-They're farm-raised certified disease-free Arkansas shiners-I'd call Tom to double -check as long as you're right about bringing over certified shiners-he'd hook you up. And good luck on them prize 'eyes$$!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:39 PM »
The way I understand the NY regs  is that if you don't have a receipt from a NY bait dealer it's not legal bait. I think this answer from DEC about their standards is if it's bought in NY it's good, not brought over the line.

Thankfully that is incorrect.  However DEC in NY is well aware that NO distributors sell wild certified golden shiners...so don't bring those with a bait receipt they know those are not certifiable.  I learned that first hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Use, Possession and Transportation of Purchased Baitfish
Certified Baitfish

Certified baitfish are those that have been tested and found to be free of specified diseases. Use of certified baitfish helps prevent the spread of fish diseases. Certified baitfish purchased from a bait dealer can be transported overland in a motorized vehicle and used in any water body where it is legal to do so.

For baitfish to be considered certified, the seller must provide a receipt that contains:

the seller's name,
date of sale,
the species of fish, and
the number of each species sold.
The buyer must retain that receipt while in possession of the baitfish. Baitfish without a receipt or with a receipt that is older than 10 days shall be considered uncertified bait.

Uncertified Baitfish

Uncertified baitfish are those that have not been tested to verify that they are free of specified diseases. These uncertified fish may carry diseases that could be harmful to native fish species. Uncertified baitfish purchased from a bait dealer can only be used on the same body of water that they were collected in. Uncertified baitfish cannot be transported overland by a motorized vehicle (e.q., car) except within a designated overland transportation corridor. The seller of uncertified baitfish outside of an overland transportation corridor is required to provide the same receipt information as for certified baitfish and also include the name of the water body in which the uncertified bait fish can be used and a warning to the purchaser that the baitfish may not be transported overland by motorized vehicle.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:07 PM »
Or try calling here..
 Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources
Fisheries Regulations
NYS Dept of Environmental Conservation
Bureau of Fisheries
625 Broadway 5th Floor
Albany, NY 12233-4753
518-402-8920
e-mail: Fish Information
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:16 PM »
I have a call in to DEC as I had been wondering the same thing. I've never been supplied with a receipt from a MA or CT bait dealer listing the information that NY DEC requires (species etc). I just spoke to 4 different people at the Department of Fisheries and nobody could answer the question so they took my number and said they would call back shortly. I'll update when I hear back.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:23 PM »
I have a call in to DEC as I had been wondering the same thing. I've never been supplied with a receipt from a MA or CT bait dealer listing the information that NY DEC requires (species etc). I just spoke to 4 different people at the Department of Fisheries and nobody could answer the question so they took my number and said they would call back shortly. I'll update when I hear back.

You have to ask your favorite bait man to provide.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:55 PM »
I have an email from dec. They stated ny standards which are tested disease free with before mentioned recieipt and your good. Don't lose receipt or let it go beyond 10 days. They also stated the bait dealer will know if they meet ny standards. I'm bringing a copy with me just in case

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:38 PM »
I had that chat with Tom at tag's at the meet and greet, and he has the documents we need, seeing we are targeting walter we only need  the 4" shiners.not fishing for pike with that kind of money on the line. if we do get one I know how to put it in its birthday suit no bones. more worried about safe ice. I am hearing the lake level has come up 5 ",that will make it harder to get on the lake. They will call yiea or neah very soon. we are going either way,fishing friday :tipup:

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:39 PM »
thanks for all the help and replies

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:46 PM »
They will make the cal tomorrow on whether or not to cancel the event

Offline deeej3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:11 PM »
Kind of off topic, but seeing this is a walleye thread i figured id ask... My brother and I have never fished for or caught a wally and wanted to do a weekend trip soon. I mean i know champlain is a decent fishery but driving 6-8 hours is a lot in a three day weekend, but we are willing to do it if necessary. Anyone want to give me information for any other lakes a little closer or guides or advice to adhere by to pull one through a hole in the next few weeks? Any suggestions/ information would be greatly appreciated
Rippin Lips

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.