The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ions blades  (Read 583 times)

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ions blades
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:41 PM »
40 holes blades dull,  any suggestions ? 

Offline river rat 58

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ions blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:46 PM »
we are on our third season without having to sharpen yet. Might want to call ion service to see if it was a defect set of blades.
max

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:10 PM »
4rth season
no problems
sand or rock will kill any blade in micro seconds
see Wayne at Sebago bait

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:42 PM »
I have been through 3 sets in 3 years, they can't be sharpened and if they get banged on the ice or any other way even slightly, the pitch will be thrown off and they will just spin. Only negative I have found to the ION.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:47 PM »
I have been through 3 sets in 3 years, they can't be sharpened and if they get banged on the ice or any other way even slightly, the pitch will be thrown off and they will just spin. Only negative I have found to the ION.

Can't be sharpened ??? I wonder ?? They look similar to any other auger and I know they can be sharpened.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Sounds like soft knives , Sounds like a good machinist could resolve that problem. You only get what you pay for.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Brought a pair to machinist and they were sharp but the pitch was off and just spun on the ice. Brought a set to local guy who sharpens all type of blades and he said can't do for the Ion.

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Blades are notoriously soft. Have to treat them like a carton of eggs. Plus the unit doesnt have the power to overcome minor knicks and chips like a gas job can. Dull one set and you won't dull the replacements. Hard lesson learned. As previous reply stated, only knock on an otherwise game changing product.

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:28 AM »
I found ION blades on Amazon in about 1 min for 34 to 38 dollars.  I believe ION
will sharpen them as well.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Brought a pair to machinist and they were sharp but the pitch was off and just spun on the ice. Brought a set to local guy who sharpens all type of blades and he said can't do for the Ion.
You found two people who can't sharpen them. That dosn't mean nobody can. Marcel showed me his auger blade sharpener at Dag's. He has different stones and jigs for each type and size blade. When the Ion came out there were not enough of them in use to justify the investment in the sharpening equipment. Now that it is becoming more common there will be more demand for sharpening and local shops will buy the tools to do it right.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:10 AM »
I think if Ion could tell you the proper pitch of the blades then someone could sharpen them but I sent them an e-mail and they never got back to me but why would they, they want you to buy new blades.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Unfortunately you got to pay to play and pay for what you like. I keep a spare set of blades in my ion carrying case just because. Only have drilled 50ish holes and works great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.