Author Topic: Best Fillet Knife??  (Read 4682 times)

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Fillet Knife??
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:16 PM »
What does everyone out there use?  I've been using a cheap ($5) Rapala 6" fillet knife for over 10 years and it does the job.  I would like to buy something a little better, maybe a 5" knife for around $20 - $30.  Would like something that is flexible and holds an edge long enough for filleting 20 bluegills.  Right now I have to touch up my knife every 7 fish or so. I was looking at the Outdoor Edge fillet knife but it is a folding knife, not sure if I would like that and how it effects its flexibility.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Fillet Knife??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:26 PM »
Rapala heavy duty electric fillet knife.  I use it on everything from 18" walleye to 8" gills. 
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:32 PM »
For years, I used either a Mister Twister electric, or a Coleman Stainless 7". This year for Christmas, my wife bought me a Wusthof Fillet knife and I really, really like it. But is it the best? Don't know.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:45 PM »
I made the same move as you're looking to make. I tried several kinds. I've been very happy with mine for several years now.  Morakniv is what you're looking for. Google it or just look on amazon.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Leach lake, hands down.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:50 PM »
I really like this one made by Rada Knives.  http://www.radacutlery.com/kitchen-knives/hunting/fillet-knife  Holds an edge well and has the right amount of flex IMHO.  I have a Leech Lake knife as well and I'll choose the Rada knife over the Leech more often than not.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Guy asks for around $20-$30, everyone starts recommending $50-$150 knives... seems helpful.
Is your rapala made in China? There is a better fish and fillet knife by them made in finland. The ability to hold an edge between the two is dramatic, with one around $8 and the other closer to $20. One of the best for the money imo. Otherwise you may want to look into the NiTi coated knife by Penn with a non slip grip. Probably closer to $30 but again, holds an edge great.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:21 PM »
Guy asks for around $20-$30, everyone starts recommending $50-$150 knives... seems helpful.

everyone ??????????  the Rada knife retails for $24.40  I would think that is in his price range.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:36 PM »
I own a bunch of them from the basic wood handle Rapala through Wusthof and up to a $120 Shun that I got gifted. The best values are the Forschner knives and the absolute best value for price versus steel are the Mora knives in carbon steel. A lot of guys who fillet fish for a living keep a set of them on hand. The trick on all of them is in the sharpening and out of any 10 guys you'll get 11 answers on the best way to do that.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I have a Schrade(spelling) Uncle Henry don't know how much it cost I have had it for 25+ years. I can say that at the time it was probably in the $ 20.00 range. Couldn't have afforded more back then. Nice sturdy blade with a flexible tip. As long as I don't cut through the rib bones it will keep an edge through a limit of pan fish. The guy asked what others use, well that is what I use.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Is your rapala made in China? There is a better fish and fillet knife by them made in finland. The ability to hold an edge between the two is dramatic, with one around $8 and the other closer to $20. One of the best for the money imo. Otherwise you may want to look into the NiTi coated knife by Penn with a non slip grip. Probably closer to $30 but again, holds an edge great.

I have to agree with the more expensive Rapala. The one I have has a darker blade and handle and holds its edge. I think mine has a 4" blade and I have used it on Bluegill, but I think a longer blade would be better.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:54 PM »
I just ordered the Morakniv 6.1" fillet knife on Amazon for $27. It has great reviews and fit my price. Also ordered an Edgemaker knife sharper for quick touch ups.  I would like to get a Lansky sharpener someday for proper sharpening and putting a good edge back on the knife.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080KBKZQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AYNF8J8N43NHE

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:52 PM »
4" Rapala wooden handle from Finland is the only thing I use. . Black handle Rapala is China. Touching up the blade with a butcher's steel is normal after filleting. Been doing it for lots of years..

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:11 PM »
4" Rapala Soft Grip for trout.  China or not, it goes in the dishwasher.  My knife for life.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:24 PM »
I've had 2 of the China black handle blades break when putting a little bend on them when skinning .

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:23 PM »
I have to agree about the Moraknivs.  They cost less than $ 30.00. While they have plastic, but very practical handles and sheath,
they put their money in the steel for the blades. They come in both stainless and carbon steel.  I prefer the carbon blades. They require
touching up more frequently than stainless, but they take a keen edge.  My first Mora knife is 35 years old been used for hacking, chopping,
deer cleaning and fire starting and it still takes a razor edge. If I could only have one knife, it would be a Mora.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Been using wooden handle rapala for 40 years still hard to beat.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Cutco 6/10" fillet knife the blade is adjustable it floats it's union made in America in Olean ny the same company make the kbar

Offline jigginnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:05 PM »
I use the Rapala knives for the most part.  I also have some older imperial schrades that are unbelievable.  If your looking to invest in a "lansky" type sharper, look into the KME sharpner.  They are awesome.  No play in the rod/clamp like you have with the lansky.  http://www.kmesharp.com

Jim

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:27 PM »
I hate the feel of Rapalas in hand. The steel has been loose from the handle in everyone I've held for 40 years. My favorite knife was a Camillus blade made for Coleman with a black rubber grip I found at Menards some decades years ago. Perfect flex, once honed cut like the eyes of an angry woman. Lost it to pick thieves.

My poly handle Gerber knife almost sings as I fillet. Comes with a sheath and fine sharpening sticks built in. (I wouldn't use those, though)

For less than $20 it can dissect a 5 inch fish, or chop through bones if you're that guy.

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:34 PM »
My grandpaa Schrade fillet knife is better than my leach knife which is way overrated

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:41 PM »
I agree with don519 the Cutco adjustable fillet knife is the sharpest knife you will ever own. It is worth every penny.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:13 PM »
Thanks for this, thinking of leaving electric behind, my blades are dull and I think I can get more meat with a regular knife. After reading these, I popped for the Cutco. American made and I have had a set of Cutco knives for 30 years that are still fantastic and far better than any other knife I've owned.
 Can't wait to get it.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:32 PM »
You can't beat the Cutco lifetime guarantee, plus when they get dull send them back and they will sharpen them free of charge, you just have to pay for shipping.

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Bought a Mr twister electric fillet knife this year after using countless standard knifes, I always have grief to electric knife users..... I was missing out, I get meatier fillets with half the work.  I had to eat crow but I'm not cleaning fish manually again.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:02 PM »
I use an electric fillet knife made by American angler, I can clean the filets off the backbone so good you can see light though backbone when I am done. I can also remove the rib bones pretty well.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Best knife is the one your buddy that is filleting your fish with when you are drinking a beer ::)  I like the Rada the best and get the sharpener that goes with it.  Will not regret the investment.  Best knife I have used.  Even use it to cut up deer.

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:11 AM »
Use what the pro's use.  Dexter Russel Sani-safe 7'' fillet knife is $20 on Amazon and 91% rate it 5 star.  It's not a looker but will be a workhorse. 

Leach Lake knives are nice, but in my opinion not worth anywhere near the money the are asking. I do like stabilized wood handles as they look cool.   

Almost all fillet knives are stainless and very few use the modern powdered super steels or even something like Aus-8. Mora's use the sandvic steel with is basically razor steel.  That stuff is pretty decent and it's $20 on Amazon too.

I use an Eagle River Knife Company knife I picked up in Alaska.  It was overpriced too from a pure utility standpoint, but it works well.

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:35 AM »
I got a case 7" fillet knife for Christmas a few years back, I really like it cause it's sharp and there is flex to it.  I also own a cutco but I use that for de boning my deer, for me it's to stiff for filleting.  But it's a really nice knife.  Case is also made in the USA..

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:30 AM »
I like the bubba blade, a little expensive but worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.