The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Looking For Ice Reports on Mass/NH border!  (Read 1302 times)

Offline massbass18

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking For Ice Reports on Mass/NH border!
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Most of the ice is questionable at my usual  fishing spots here in Central MA. Looking to head a little further north in search of better ice and hopefully some bass. If anyone can steer me in the right direction that would be awesome! Thanks! :tipup:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking For Ice Reports on Mass/NH border!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:25 PM »
Typically, the farther north you go, the more ice you will find.
The problem is that each area/region will have various thicknesses, so you are going to have to check around some.

You could (if you already haven't) check in the NH forum as well.

Myself, I spent the weekend up on the big lake, and the NE region I was on had 14"+ of ice.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Don't have to go too far north to find ice. I was at half moon in Hancock NH over the weekend and we had 10"+. Buy a 1 day license and take the drive. Stay away from the coastal side, Portsmouth NH area had open water.

Party on.  :tipup:
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline ZW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:12 AM »
i fished a local pond right on the nh border and had a solid 8" i would avoid anything with moving water.  check out moosehorn pond in hubbardston.
Take a kid fishing!!!

Offline Fishflesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Right on the N.H. border, the ponds have opened up.  If it doesn't get colder, ice may be over with around here.  :-\

Offline Icetrotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:58 AM »
In the past week I've been on 5 different ponds in Agawam, amherst, Northampton, hatfield and Lee. Every  pond I've been on hasn't lost there edges yet and there is still plenty of good ice out there. All the ponds had between 5 and 11 inches of ice depending on the pond. All I can say is Google maps is your best friend. Keep safe

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:34 AM »
i fished a local pond right on the nh border and had a solid 8" i would avoid anything with moving water.  check out moosehorn pond in hubbardston.

Besides walking the railroad is there a decent way to get on Moosehorn? Not sure if it will be safe for this weekend but I'd like to try it sometime.

Offline Jetmec89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • USAF
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Anybody know the ice conditions on Lake Monomomonac or Whalom Pond? Its a good half way point for a buddy of mine and I to meet for some fishing.
Grab me a beer woman!!!

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2017, 03:10 PM »
Besides walking the railroad is there a decent way to get on Moosehorn? Not sure if it will be safe for this weekend but I'd like to try it sometime.
There is a car top launch  on Old Princeton Rd about 250' after the intersection with E. Hubbardston Rd.

Offline drewsnutz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:10 AM »
I got out on Freeman in N Chelmsford yesterday after seeing a old post about it.  Got 4 perch on the first hole in 10 mins right on the beach by the park so I moved the trap and got nothing the closer I got to the north side.  My first time there but I couldn't find anything deeper than 10-15',  from the beach to the middle and worked my way north.   The ice was right at the thickness that I feel safe at 4" with a sheet of slop on top.  And there was a rescue team or the fire depo training in the water by the water station,  So that made me feel a little safer,  but I figured if they had a guy in the water and 2 guys on the ice around him, it was pretty safe.  It did get a little cracky towards 2 oclock but it was also 40 degrees.  Heading to NH for the free fishing day Saturday.  Anyone know of a good bait shop around Nashua/Lowell area?  I'm in Nashua and my buddy asks me everytime we go out to troop to Merrimac Bait and Tackle cuz he has the best (which he does) but it takes me 2 hours,  anyone know a bait shop that has as good of bait as Merrimac?

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:19 AM »
I got out on Freeman in N Chelmsford yesterday after seeing a old post about it.  Got 4 perch on the first hole in 10 mins right on the beach by the park so I moved the trap and got nothing the closer I got to the north side.  My first time there but I couldn't find anything deeper than 10-15',  from the beach to the middle and worked my way north.   The ice was right at the thickness that I feel safe at 4" with a sheet of slop on top.  And there was a rescue team or the fire depo training in the water by the water station,  So that made me feel a little safer,  but I figured if they had a guy in the water and 2 guys on the ice around him, it was pretty safe.  It did get a little cracky towards 2 oclock but it was also 40 degrees.  Heading to NH for the free fishing day Saturday.  Anyone know of a good bait shop around Nashua/Lowell area?  I'm in Nashua and my buddy asks me everytime we go out to troop to Merrimac Bait and Tackle cuz he has the best (which he does) but it takes me 2 hours,  anyone know a bait shop that has as good of bait as Merrimac?

BIP Outdoors Atkinson NH. Open at 5am. and it is next to Big Island Pond.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:27 AM »

Toms bait and tackle in Westford. They sponsor the MASS. page!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.