Author Topic: Ice fishing line  (Read 3353 times)

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing line
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Do I really need Ice Fishing Line?What sets it apart from a good fluorocarbon?

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:34 PM »
There are a lot of successful fisherman her that use everything from braid to mono to florcarbon. It all works
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:35 PM »
The short answer is no. I don't use Fluorocarbon, but have heard of issues with it if you fish outside.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:44 PM »
The only real difference would be based on personal preference.

Sure, flouro might ice up more than mono, and braid will DEFINITELY ice up more than flouro and mono, but you will have to see what the pros and cons of each are when YOU use them in YOUR given applications.

I don't use flouro (my choice) but I do have reels with mono and others with braid.

What you will also find is that each line will act/react differently when paired with different reels and rods, so you will have your work cut out for you.

I tried different lines on different rigs to see what performed best for my needs, and that's what I use now.

Heck, the best part of it all is YOU get to field test these options, so you are doing "work" while you are fishing....can't beat that! ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:01 PM »
I tried fluorocarbon suffix this year, I lost 3 fish in 3 outings...that crap came off and I switched to Pline.   

I was using braid for years with great success but wanted to try something different.

I would use braid or Pline again in a heartbeat, fluorocarbon...NO WAY.
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:45 PM »
I use flouro and love It for leaders on tip-ups but not on rods but my basic rule is "IF IT'S NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX IT!"
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:47 PM »
The short answer is no. I don't use Fluorocarbon, but have heard of issues with it if you fish outside.
.        I have used fluorocarbon line for years and have yet to fish in a shanty. Never had any problems, I guess what ever you have the best luck with, use it!!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:59 PM »
No you don't need ice line. There are other posts on this forum that have gone over and over this question. If you are happy with what ever type of line don't spend extra money on a box the has the word ice on it!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:36 PM »
I tried fluorocarbon suffix this year, I lost 3 fish in 3 outings...that crap came off and I switched to Pline.   

I was using braid for years with great success but wanted to try something different.

I would use braid or Pline again in a heartbeat, fluorocarbon...NO WAY.

Just curious, what kind of knot were you using? Line doesn't just break for no reason unless you somehow got a bad batch.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Just curious, what kind of knot were you using? Line doesn't just break for no reason unless you somehow got a bad batch.

I used palomar and improved clench.  I talked to the guys at scheels and they said many customers had been having issues.  In the garbage it went!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:30 AM »
I used palomar and improved clench.  I talked to the guys at scheels and they said many customers had been having issues.  In the garbage it went!

Weird, those are the exact knots i use with flouro and I don't get break offs.  I'm usually using 6 pound though that might make a difference.

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:36 AM »
I was using 6 and 8 pound on different rods.  They said ALOT of bad comments were coming to the store. Must be a bad batch or something. 

Offline PikeChaser198

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let it run, it can't get out of the pond
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:36 PM »
I use normal seagur and love it. My buddy turned me on to it this year.
Ebensburg Fishing & Hunting
3657 Admiral Peary HWY
Ebensburg, PA
(814) 472-5980 / Facebook & Instagram

Clete's Taxidermy Studio
(814) 471-4898 / Facebook & Instagram

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm not informed about ice braids.  Normal braids have performed so poorly for me, and I end up hand-lining often enough, that I haven't bothered to try.  In theory they could be great.

The difference is the limpness when it gets cold.  It has a narrow window where it really shines, and for the most part it's a nice to have, and the 'is it worth it' question is just about your personal preference and how rich your tackle budget is.

The window, where in my opinion ice mono is absolutely worthwhile:

1. You will be routinely fishing in temperatures below -20C.
2. You want to fish line that is heavy relative the jigs you'll be using.

Not 'it was -20C when we hit the ice this morning!', actual low of -30, high of -20.  At this temperature, line memory on heavy monos and especially the relatively stiffer fluoro mainlines is brutal.  It's like you're fishing with a slinky.  Bait casters and level winds are a little better in my experience, but still not great.  I still run a lot of mono without worrying about it, because if there's enough weight of lure to pull the memory coils out of the line, and sensitivity isn't paramount b/c you're fishing aggressive fish, it's not needed.

For my personal use, it's key for kokanee fishing, because I'm in 20-40 fow, fishing 1/16 or 1/8 oz jigs for 1/2 to 1lb fish.  I could go to a 2lb mono, and probably not have too much trouble, but I end up hand-lining fairly often, and can get into 10lb rainbows in the same hole, so I stick with a 6lb mono and fluoro leader.  The kokanee bite is very soft and the strikes are quick, so sensitivity is critical.  That's where I notice the benefits of the ice line.  Plain 6lb mono has enough line memory that sensitivity is lost beyond 20ft.  The ice mono is so supple even in the cold temps that I can get the sensitivity I need in the 40ft holes.

That's my 2cents.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:06 AM »
The entire fishing rig has to work.  Just the line and/or line type isn't always the culprit to lousy line performance.  Anyway just talking about line types, fluorocarbon lines are made of a harder material than your nylon type lines.  They also will have less elasticity.

The most important thing about ice lines are, they will be offered in smaller test pounds than your regular open water line. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:10 AM »
monofilament and floros spring off the reel to easy. I prefer fireline or nanofil

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:16 PM »
I switched to Berkley vanish transitions floro in 4lb this year and I love it, its very strong (landed a 23" northern 20" largemouth and a 20" catfish and many many  panfish with it so far). Its really hard to see and seems super strong. so far I love it. I also use it outside on homemade jaw jackers and never had and issue with line iceing up and I get good hooksets with it.

Offline Iceballs204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:22 PM »
I use a variety of braids. I love 10lb nano. After a few outings you'll have to inspect for frays but never had a break off in 4/5 years. I also have fire line ice on my very first rod/reel set up. Line is 5 yrs old frays like nano but can't get rid of it, caught my first fish on that bad boy. The best line in my opinion suffix ice braid I orange. In the 6lbs was able to ice many pike, biggest being 39in. This stuff rarely frays. 

I normally bring 3 rods with me   1 jigging 1 dead stick and 1 backup. When I go fishing I always set up a hub for home base   I'll drill holes around and start fishing   When my line ices up bad ill switch out to my back up rod and let the other one defrost. Nano is easier to clear than suffix IMO. This set up has worked for me for years and I don't plan on changing.

I fish for Wally's, pike, and burbots primarily hence the 10lb line. Good luck and tight lines

Offline chompmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2017, 11:41 AM »
.        I have used fluorocarbon line for years and have yet to fish in a shanty. Never had any problems, I guess what ever you have the best luck with, use it!!
I used fluorocarbon had it break so often went back to braid

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2017, 11:48 AM »
Ice braid is treated with a water repellent to minimize holding water and freezing up and it definitely does work better than standard braid when it's well below freezing out. All my ice reels have braid from 3 to 10 lb.

Offline Pickledpike270

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Always used mono in the past gonna try out some braid this year and see how it goes.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:11 PM »
mono-small swivel-fluoro. pline is good.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:29 PM »
I have Fireline on all of my jigging rods from 4 to 10 lb Test.  I find myself using mono less and less these days.  I keep it spooled up on spare reels for jigging outside of the shack.  About the only other time I use mono is maybe when I'm trolling crankbaits for walleye or surf fishing in Florida.

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:41 AM »
P-Line Floroice and Trilene Micro Ice have been alright for me this season.

Offline fishonthebrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Any fused braid works well.

Offline Icefishing83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:48 AM »
nanofil line seems to help with sensitivity for light biters

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor