Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: ice melting  (Read 4326 times)

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
ice melting
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Time to get out the long poles !!!

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice melting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Not for me, it will get cold again. Plenty of ice in N. Ia.

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:53 AM »
Gonna try to get out today. Hoping for good ice still.

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Wear your hip waders !!!

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:46 AM »
3 inches of water on the ice

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:08 AM »
Theres 12" on the big waters and 14-16" on some backwaters.... one day of rain didnt ruin our season here. No windy days in the near future so we should be alright through the next week, i see the long range has highs below freezing for late jan.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Pool 17 backwaters are done for the season and my pond melted 14" of ice off 50% of it so far...4 other farm ponds lost almost 75% of their ice today...

I'm done for the season, got a lot of work to do on my pond

Catchin' Fish

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:54 PM »
I was on LGL today, still roughly a foot of ice average.. Maybe 11". Top 1/4" was a little soft but otherwise nothing changed. Still solid to the bottom where I got on.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline chan93lx50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:50 PM »
Any opinions on how Guttenburg "Bussey Lake" will be on Friday? Am I going to have to take a running jump from shore to get on the ice?

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Any opinions on how Guttenburg "Bussey Lake" will be on Friday? Am I going to have to take a running jump from shore to get on the ice?
Bring a plank

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Open water about 5 feet off shoreline but once you get on ice its still about 10-12 inches thick. Central Iowa Jasper Co.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:00 AM »
It is January 20, not February 28. Keep the waders hanging on the wall.

One forecast says we will see lows in the single digits by the end of this month in Linn and Johnson county. Plenty of ice-fishing to be done in Iowa yet this season.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:46 AM »
It is January 20, not February 28. Keep the waders hanging on the wall.

One forecast says we will see lows in the single digits by the end of this month in Linn and Johnson county. Plenty of ice-fishing to be done in Iowa yet this season.
Still need to be cautious right now with the melting ice.  Melting ice is weak ice.

Anglers survive freezing plunge after ATV crashes through Brinker Lake ice.  This happened in Waterloo yesterday.  http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/article_1f8959ed-3dbd-51c5-bd52-b828599fa4a8.html
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Nothing changed here. Edges are wet with water on top of the ice, but still solid. Most of the water has drained off of the places I have been fishing. We lost the top 1/2-1" of ice is all.

Rain doesn't hurt the ice like people think... mostly because we are used to seeing a rain in march that takes out the shorelines on already weakened ice. Its sunshine and wind that ruin ice, the rain just sits on top for a few hours then drains.

I have seen a few drain holes though, so be mindful of where you step as always. 8" holes that are now 20" holes.

Probably best to avoid thick timber or laydowns until we get a few cold nights...
EYECONICFISHING

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:41 PM »
River is on the rise will probably murk the water up real bad. Forecasted to go up over 2'. Pool 12 has gone up a half foot already today.

Offline andypromx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:01 PM »
I was on two different ponds this evening just north of Iowa City and had 8" on one and 9.25" on the other.  The top inch was soft, but under that it was good.  One of the two you had to walk thru some water at the edge, but the other was pretty good.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Water on ice is a good sign.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:10 PM »
Water on ice is a good sign.
.        When the water goes thru, that's when should beware!!

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01:49 PM »
With a cool down coming in some parts of the state next week, don't think the ice will be back to early ice. I'm about 95% sure there was 6 or more atvs/ trucks went through recently. Storm Lake, Brushy Creek, Brinker, Tuttle Lake, 5 Island and Clear Lake so be careful when you go. The foggy weather up here in N.W. IOWA really sucks. I think I saw the aftermath of the people who got the UTV out of 5 Island a hour ago. A open pontoon contraption that lifted it out, they had a 4 wheeler and a UTV pulling it but had trouble with the weight and slick conditions.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2017, 02:54 PM »
9-12" here still depending on location. Was hard today, dropped below freezing last night. We will be just fine.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Fished Crawford creek 11 inches of ok ice half clear half soft. Arrowhead has 9 inches about the same. Lots of people out today be careful!!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09:17 PM »
i had 4" of ice, 1/2" of water and skim of ice on top near the shorelines of my pond today....5-9" of clear but honeycombed ice over the rest of the pond, i walked the whole thing without any issues but the creeks are flowing in with a steady trickle and the upper sediment pond is dumping quite a bit of flow. All other bodies of water near me are terrible - I hammered some gills on open water today

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.