Author Topic: Another perch question  (Read 1829 times)

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Another perch question
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:19 AM »
Now that I have my first real good mess of Perch I'll be fixing them tonight. I want to get the most out of this meal since I've been told they are to beat. I normally just deep fry but is there a better way. Feel free to add sides dishes to comments.

Offline custom r

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Another perch question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:22 AM »
 Steam them like shrimp and dip in cocktail sauce.
This way you con keep some smaller ones too..

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:34 AM »
I like to bread them and fry in butter but battered and deep fried is good too. They have a firm flesh so they work good in soup too. My wife has a recipe for a fish chowder that they are great in.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:39 AM »
You can't go wrong following any walleye recipe for cooking (like gunflint) but deep fried fresh yellow perch is on top of my list.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:44 AM »
another vote for fried here.  too good to experiment with.

a tiny squeeze of lemon while eating

some people like malt vinegar

cocktail sauce to dip

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:41 AM »
Deep fried are awesome.  If your into baking them try dipping in an egg wash, breading with panko, parmesean cheese, corn meal and little regular flour.  Drizzle some melted butter on top and bake at 500 for 10 min's. 

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:47 AM »
I'm leaning toward the old deep fried. Fried tators and bush's beans, white bread and butter. Maybe a small applesauce.

Offline Wall-E-eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Did a batch Sunday night, threw a box of Zatarains seasoned in a big ziplock.. added perch fillets ( just rinsed off,no egg wash)..deep fried at 375 till golden . Did a batch of Red Robin steak fries...steam up some veggies..life was Good ;D
Jim

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:56 AM »
I like to deep fry the best. My second choice is to dust with flour and fry in butter till they start to caramelise. delicious.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Don't listen to that "fried" talk! Rub butter on a piece of foil, lay dried fillets over the butter, add salt, pepper (or light dusting of old bay or something similar) light minced garlic. Grill at 400 for 5 minutes tops. If you want a touch more flavor add parmesean cheese (light dusting). If you have the smaller ones, gut and scale... salt pepper butter direct on grill grate... just need a fork to eat.

Don't ruin this opportunity!   
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Don't listen to that "fried" talk! Rub butter on a piece of foil, lay dried fillets over the butter, add salt, pepper (or light dusting of old bay or something similar) light minced garlic. Grill at 400 for 5 minutes tops. If you want a touch more flavor add parmesean cheese (light dusting). If you have the smaller ones, gut and scale... salt pepper butter direct on grill grate... just need a fork to eat.

Don't ruin this opportunity!
...and then fry some!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:24 AM »
They where great. I gutted and skinned them all so not to waist any meat. Deep fried this time and then forked the meat off the bone. Next batch I think I will try the grill method with whole fish again. Thanks for the advise and opinions.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:03 AM »
try the bob costas "10sec perch clean" next time your going to cook them on the bone.  you can catch fish clean fish and chum all at the same time.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:44 AM »
The Bob Costas way is what I had in mind but couldn't remember how it is done. The way I ended up doing them ended up with the same results but took 3 or 4 mins each. Cut all fins off, gutted, beheaded, then pulled skin off. Now that you've giving a name to the method I should be able to review from the internet.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 PM »
The Bob Costas way is what I had in mind but couldn't remember how it is done. The way I ended up doing them ended up with the same results but took 3 or 4 mins each. Cut all fins off, gutted, beheaded, then pulled skin off. Now that you've giving a name to the method I should be able to review from the internet.
Don't know how you learned to filet fish. Perch is the easiest to clean. When I filet one you can hold it up to the light and it looks like a x-ray. NO LOST MEAT, AND ONLY 20 SECOUNDS PER FISH. Just my 2 cents, everyone has their own style. LOL.

Offline libo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:30 PM »
boned & buttered. light flour mix.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Did a batch Sunday night, threw a box of Zatarains seasoned in a big ziplock.. added perch fillets ( just rinsed off,no egg wash)..deep fried at 375 till golden.

I like the Zatarain's too, although I always add a little extra Cajun seasoning.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Deep fried, thick breading and walleye for the side dish and then onion rings and a CC and 7 tall with lots of ice lol. Its all good, bake Perch are you serious lol.
Tom

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Shore Lunch breading deep fried with baked beans and fried potatoes. Wash it down with a cold beer!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Shore Lunch breading deep fried with baked beans and fried potatoes. Wash it down with a cold beer!
Exactly except I favor pinto beans.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.