Author Topic: What poles for Jaw jackers?  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
What poles for Jaw jackers?
« on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:47 AM »
Thinking about grabbing one to check them out but curious what length and kinda pole ( light, medium etc) everyone uses.. Any info would be great thanks!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What poles for Jaw jackers?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:22 AM »
To some extent, that depends on what species you'll be targeting with them.  The rods offered by JawJacker are perfect for various applications, good quality and very reasonably priced.  I bought two of the 29" medium action rods. Very nice rods for the price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/JAWJACKER-ICE-ROD/2215612.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Djawjacker%26CQ_st%3Db
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Personally I like to set the hook myself. I found a product called the Finicky Fooler that can be used with any rod and reel combo and the bail is left open to allow the fish to free spool line. Works great on all species of fish from perch to pike. No need for any special rod. I picked mine up on-line.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Personally I like to set the hook myself. I found a product called the Finicky Fooler that can be used with any rod and reel combo and the bail is left open to allow the fish to free spool line. Works great on all species of fish from perch to pike. No need for any special rod. I picked mine up on-line.
Set out 15 or 20 of those with open bails and you may lose some line or be a runninboss.    ;)2

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:27 PM »
Set out 15 or 20 of those with open bails and you may lose some line or be a runningboss.    ;)2

That or the fish will poop out the hook before he sets the hook.:);)

One of the benefits of the jaw jacker is setting the hook into the fishes mouth.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:46 PM »
For walleye I've had good luck with a 28" medium ugly stick.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:09 PM »
I have a few I use. They work awesome. Use the rod for the type of fish your fishing and the drag for the size of fish you want. For pan fish I use my standard jig rods , for eyes I use my larger jigging rods. 30 inch med . For pike and trout I use the xxh jaw jacker rods they are great really stiff so I set the drag loose so it's not yanking bait . I use my larger rods with larger bait . Smaller baits on smaller rods . I've never had a hook pull on a jaw jacker set. The jaw jacker brand poles all work great. But any pole will work .

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:29 PM »
If ya keep a eye on your tip ups it shouldnt be an issue and where can you set out 15 to 20 lines?

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:23 AM »
Lake Champlain you can set 15 lines..... ;D

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:17 AM »
Lake Champlain you can set 15 lines..... ;D

Oh wow I had no idea.. I was actually talking about how I'd like to fish there some time seeing as how I never have. I hear they have a pretty awesome ice tournament there.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:04 AM »
Shakespeare gxs medium combo cheap,durable,drag is ehh, pole has just the right of spine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.