Author Topic: What an disappointing weekend.  (Read 1328 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What an disappointing weekend.
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Fished all three days, Sat on Moultonborough Bay and caught nothing but dink perch.
Fished Sun on Center Harbor between 1/2 and 1 mile isle and got NOTHING.
Fished back at Moultonborough Bay today, and again just dink perch.

A far cry from my New Year's weekend outing!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What an disappointing weekend.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Bummer. It's the luck of the draw. Better luck next time out there.
Salmonemia

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:29 PM »
I had the same situation yesterday and today. It was ideal conditions in terms of ice quality and plenty of healthy bait and I got robbed on my first two trap lake of the season.. I was praying for a wind flag... :tipup:
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Yesterday was disappointing for me. I fished a 6 trap lake and I got a late start, one hit and spit and a dink perch was all she wrote before I switched spots

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:01 PM »
I figured it was just the lake's way of evening out my outings. I was there on New Year's weekend and had a great outing, so this just evens things out.

One encouraging thing was the ice thickness...which was 14+" in both areas.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:10 AM »
Same thing happened to me on Sunday. Went solo to Newfound and 10 hours with one dink perch at 5pm. Marked lakers on the flasher, and missed one bite (not sure what species) but I couldn't pay a laker to commit.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:25 AM »
You are not alone I think a lot of us had slow fishing this past weekend but at least we got to go out.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:18 AM »
 ::)  Meat & Metal and friend came up to Mtns Friday.  Fished hard in cold north wind.  Nothing!! Even swapped to our sure fire stocked rainbow lake and got skunked :P   Moon? North Wind? Barometer?   Maybe the Farmer's Almanac is right at times?  Went back on Monday and caught one OK brown trout and a half dozen 12 inch yellow perch ;D   I do know that I'm not going to fish in with a north wind again (cold,Brr) ::)
Dick

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:23 AM »
This is why it's called "fishing" and not "catching"  ;D

Spent  quite a few hours on Newfound and only one laker went after my jig yesterday morning...hoping today would be better but so far nothing on camera since 1/2 hour before sunrise.
Sure is a bluebird day though!
A couple of mature eagles stopped by here this morning ( must be on the way to the inauguration)!
I told them to crap on some protestors while they were there...
Okay back to sleep er I mean jigging...

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I will say it was a tough weekend for even the bass circuit...we ended up with a 10 on Saturday that included a 5lb 5 oz largemouth but that was for 30 traps and 6 members...sunday we brought the kids and they found a few and yesterday was just brutal...1 bass all weekend for this kid.. ???
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:15 AM »
It could be worse, me and my friend fished Sunday and ended up with one togue each, but he ended up pulling his through the same hole that his phone went down earlier in the day.

Offline Jacktrapfever36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Same here, fished my normal spot, even put out the shack, and had several flags but iced no fish. 4 people on a 6 trap lake fishing for bows.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:23 AM »
It could be worse, me and my friend fished Sunday and ended up with one togue each, but he ended up pulling his through the same hole that his phone went down earlier in the day.

That takes "calling in the fish" to a whole new level!.. ( sorry couldn't help it... )... if it's any consolation... I've dumped 3 into the drink... 2 striper fishing one smelt fishing..it happens!... best way I know to get that Navionics upgrade without overly  alerting the wife!

Tim.. as Denny said.. a lot of people had a slow time of it... I took my first skunking of the season Saturday...February is right around the corner... fishing will pick up drastically then.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:24 AM »
I'm blaming the moon for my pisspoor performance this weekend.  Next weekend's too.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:40 AM »
had a tough time during the week too :-\

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:45 PM »
I had a great MLK day. Saturday was very slow with nothing to show but I hit my favorite early season spot yesterday and came out with 2 lakers, 4 salmon (one was probably 4.5#), 15 keeper perch, and a 18.5" rainbow. Life is good!

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Blargh it was high pressure, sunny, windy. doesn't that typically mean bad fishing? It did for me. Although I didn't lose any expensive electronics just a chisel scoop and forceps. Ice was good and the forecast has gotten better!

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:00 PM »
A small victory I would call it  ;D

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Just the opposite for me. Saturday the bite was on fire and they were running the line out very fast also. Warm water species, LM, SM, pics, and perches in central NH. Three dozen bait gone in five hours, had to leave because I forgot my jig stick bag. I thought it maybe had something to do with the full moon phase, or there was a kid ripping around all day on a dirt bike with studded tires that just seemed to turn the fish on, I don't have any other explanation for it.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:21 PM »
 ??? ::) :tipup:  you kids over complicate this whole ice fishing thing.   It's like Dave Genz telling me that I have to have snow machine and portable shelter and drill 200 holes per day??   I have 5 tipups that I had made 20 years ago and they still work fine for every kind of fish I make holes for?    I have changed the spools and make them run smooth.   Changing to Flasher, jig rod and dragging sled has kept me into fish and helped my old knees?   
Headed for North Winni for the next few days.   I'll be happy to get on the ice by 7:30 and catch lots of panfish and white perch?   Other than my homemade glass  noodle rod I'll probably jig with Ugly Stick rods and cheap reals?  I've converted to Nils 41/2 " and 6" blades and portable drill because I have to  limit my drag load.   Toasted BLT's in popup and Pizza and dark beer at the Lazy E Motel in at night  ;D

Dick

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:30 PM »
It's the slow days that definitely make you appreciate the really good ones!

Hey, at least I got to see the Pat's win!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:42 PM »
??? ::) :tipup:  you kids over complicate this whole ice fishing thing.   It's like Dave Genz telling me that I have to have snow machine and portable shelter and drill 200 holes per day??   I have 5 tipups that I had made 20 years ago and they still work fine for every kind of fish I make holes for?    I have changed the spools and make them run smooth.   Changing to Flasher, jig rod and dragging sled has kept me into fish and helped my old knees?   
Headed for North Winni for the next few days.   I'll be happy to get on the ice by 7:30 and catch lots of panfish and white perch?   Other than my homemade glass  noodle rod I'll probably jig with Ugly Stick rods and cheap reals?  I've converted to Nils 41/2 " and 6" blades and portable drill because I have to  limit my drag load.   Toasted BLT's in popup and Pizza and dark beer at the Lazy E Motel in at night  ;D

Dick

Pizza and dark beer after a day of fishing. Dick you are living the Dream.  :thumbsup:

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:41 AM »

Dick

LOL all your sentences end in question marks, why is that? I read everything as if I'm asking a question but you're making statements lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.