Author Topic: Another Victim  (Read 1352 times)

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another Victim
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:56 PM »
I just wanted to start this thread for people that have had the unfortunate luck I have had so far this season. I have not been able to, so far to find the fish. Mabe I am the only one, but I am tired of lurking here on the shanty this whole season. I have only been out three times and only to the mile. I know I could go other places and probably increase my odds of finding fish but the opportunity for great fish at the mile is hard to ignore. I have had three good outings with my sons, 2 and 6. We will continue to make trips to the mile, and I am sure we are not done with the skunk but here is hoping to break the streak. Post here if you have gone out and been skunked. No great stories, no taco pics, no bromances, no secret spots with the horizon blurred out, just people putting in the time.

Offline ShawnS

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Another Victim
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:26 PM »
We did good at Witchers cove yesterday, the trout are in 15-25ft of water about a foot off the bottom. The pike are hitting like crazy on water dogs and tube jigs

Offline ShawnS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:28 PM »
What are you fishing with

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:45 PM »
Pink jigs w/ wax worm, egg sack, butter worm dead stick 15 fow, 8 fow, over weeds, over sand/mud, stoll east , stoll west by green gates, I think I am just getting out too late with the kids. 11:00 is about the time I have gear out.

Offline ShawnS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:01 PM »
yeah we hit around 7am and 4:30 pm, during the day we call them in with rattle traps and usually we get them to hit on pink crappie max jigs

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Pink jigs w/ wax worm, egg sack, butter worm dead stick 15 fow, 8 fow, over weeds, over sand/mud, stoll east , stoll west by green gates, I think I am just getting out too late with the kids. 11:00 is about the time I have gear out.

invest in kastmasters.   also consider using sucker/dead shiners on tubes or kastys.... and at that lake i have learned its way more about "when" than "where"....

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:58 PM »
stoll west by green gates

We started @ Stoll on Saturday and it was the dead sea! 8-11am, fished several areas, never even marked a fish!  Packed up and hit the other side, wasn't red hot, but wasn't skunked either.

Offline mattyt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:01 AM »
I can offer zero advice on the mile. That lake has never treated me well. I have talked to a couple folks though that always do well out there. Just like any lake, keep going and learning and trying new spots. It will pay off eventually!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:42 PM »
It's probably tough to move as often as you'd like with kids. Plus, it sounds like you're fishing in the middle of the day which is nap time for trout. The bookends of the day are better. If I don't find some form of structure at the mile; I don't see fish. Old weed beds, rocks, depth changes, and channels are better at holding fish than open, silt bottom, barren lake bed. The mile is a lot of work everytime for me open water or ice. It's move, move, move. No fish. Load and unload gear over and over. Still no fish! Smelled of pole cat driving home way too many times from there.
Selective harvest works!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:48 PM »
The only tried and true method (beyond asking here) is to go out and fish.

Sure, it may be unproductive from the catching POV, but you will learn something from each outing, whether it's what rod/reel rig to use, what lure to use, how to fish those lures, or where to find deep water and structure (reading the water from above the ice).

Go with an open mind and a sense of adventure and you won't be disappointed. Eventually it will all click!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:39 PM »
I have been skunked at the Mile.  And that's all I have to say about that.   :P
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:11 PM »
As I've stated before, there is no man living or dead that has been skunked at Elevenmile more than me. Nobody else is that stupid. Gotta be over 150 times by now. I've also caught a lot of nice fish up there. I'd agree with the other guys that time of day is a key factor and 11:00 is just not going to work. A trick I've used in the past to get the stench off is to break the pattern with a trip to Skagway. It's can't miss fishing. Seldom anything of any great size but the action is steady. Then you're ready to try the Mile again. In your case, taking the boys along, I imagine they'd like to see what a fish looks like on the ice. If you want to try Skagway, PM me and I'll clue you in on how to fish it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:09 PM »
The Mile is a fickle lake for sure, one day your on them. Next day not a fish to be found, BTW had more luck on the south side of the lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.