Author Topic: Regulations for smelt lights?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Regulations for smelt lights?
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:42 PM »
I know the regulations say that use of a 'jack light' is prohibited and I did some searching on past forum posts......does anyone know what the law is in NH on using a light to attract smelt? I take it a submersible light such as a Hydro Glow is prohibited, but would a lantern or other light on top of the ice be also be a no no?

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Regulations for smelt lights?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 04:47 AM »
I always use my propane lantern at night and have been checked many times by NHF&G with no problems, you have to see what`s going on. I have never specifically asked them.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:56 AM »
I have heard this many times as well, but I've hornpout fished for decades with lanterns on the shore. I believe a jack light means a submersible device and that lanterns above the water or ice aren't technically a jack light. Unfortunately "jack light" is not included in the definitions in the rule book, so I guess it's a bit subjective. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:22 AM »
I've personally had experience with game officers and "jack lighting". My bassboat is equipped with under water lighting, not for the intent of jacking fish but for navigating in the dark... I even went as far as wiring the lights to only be available when the big motor is running to avoid possible accusations. One officer thought my lighting was legit the way it was setup and a good idea for nighttime navigation and safety... One officer had the ticket book ready and gave me a really hard time about it, if rods had been on the deck we would have ended up with a fist full of tickets. Both officers gave the same definition though... A jack light is a submerged light or a light that has its beam focussed into the water with the INTENT of attracting fish... That's where it gets tricky... Intent is a subjective thing.
With that said I wouldn't think twice about using the lighting in my shack or a lantern on the ice as neither focuses their beam into the water...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Always wonder how the bright LED lights on my underwater camera will be viewed... though I guess the intent perspective should help...

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:31 AM »
So the light attracts plankton which then attracts the smelt?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:03 PM »
So the light attracts plankton which then attracts the smelt?

Yup, and then up the food chain...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I plan on keeping this weekends smelting adventures in VT until I can get a direct answer from NH F&G. The Hydro Glow sure seems to bring the smelt in, but the bite has been finicky where I have been fishing.

Offline Supervisor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:29 AM »
I've personally had experience with game officers and "jack lighting". My bassboat is equipped with under water lighting, not for the intent of jacking fish but for navigating in the dark... I even went as far as wiring the lights to only be available when the big motor is running to avoid possible accusations. One officer thought my lighting was legit the way it was setup and a good idea for nighttime navigation and safety... One officer had the ticket book ready and gave me a really hard time about it, if rods had been on the deck we would have ended up with a fist full of tickets. Both officers gave the same definition though... A jack light is a submerged light or a light that has its beam focussed into the water with the INTENT of attracting fish... That's where it gets tricky... Intent is a subjective thing.
With that said I wouldn't think twice about using the lighting in my shack or a lantern on the ice as neither focuses their beam into the water...

Regardless of the above situation as you described, I just checked with Lt. Murphy of our Law Enforcement Division and her interpretation is that a light can be used while fishing and can be submerged in the water.  If you want the word on this directly from her, she can be reached at 271-3127.
Scott Decker, NHFGD Inland Fisheries Supervisor

Offline TeamNHCBK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Submerged in the water? Just not to attract fish? Not accusing you of anything, just curious of what she meant.
NH's Premiere Hunting and Fishing Team

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:41 AM »
If you have a question call Lt. Murphy and she will give you an answer.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:15 AM »
Thank you Scott. I still hadnt contacted anyone at F&G about this yet as I have been doing all my smelt fishing in VT. I will contact her directly to be sure. Appreciate the info

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:46 PM »
Regardless of the above situation as you described, I just checked with Lt. Murphy of our Law Enforcement Division and her interpretation is that a light can be used while fishing and can be submerged in the water.  If you want the word on this directly from her, she can be reached at 271-3127.

I appreciate you checking in on this... I'm wondering if things have changed over the last few years? Both of the incidents happened 5-6 years ago and only a few weeks apart.
I will get an e-mail to Lt. Murphy so I can have some sort of document explaining this to keep in my boat.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:35 PM »
If you are close to grafton county call tom dakai. He will give the green light to the green light!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.