Author Topic: My new old shack, could use some experienced insight!  (Read 2081 times)

Offline aedude006

• IceShanty Rookie
So I picked up this shack for a mere 300$. Supposedly only 4 years old. Interior is excellent, exterior... not so much. It is 2x3 construction, the runners are doubled up,  and it has a rubber roof.  I am going to redo the siding, windows, and put some good plastic on the runners. I just wanted input on what I should do for siding. I am debating between the following options..

- Pro rib steel paneling right to the studs.
https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/siding/steel-siding/cut-to-length-pro-rib-steel-panel/p-1444448541265.htm

- Luan Painted "correctly"

- Luan paneled with the pro rib steel, or aluminum printing sheets (I have a plethora of them, but like the look of the new steel better).

What are your thoughts? Should I be concerned about the weight of luan plus steel? would the steel alone be strong enough (I could add some horizontal cross members)?

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Re: My new old shack, could use some experienced insight!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:41 AM »
I hope you're using it as it sits, and not leaving it home. maybe paint it and put the steel paneling over the luan. Looks good to me as it is. Good luck with it. Welcome to the site too.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:38 PM »
I would ditch any concept of luan as siding. Buy corrugated metal for siding, attach directly to the wood framing.

From the inside cut/fit rigid insulation between the framing members, foam the cracks and call it good. If you want to get fancy you can wire it up then install paneling and trim.

I would peel back that carpet and check the floor sheathing. Carpet holds water, the floor sheathing might need replaced (but maybe not) something to check.

Rubber roof is nice though I think that rubber is short on the gable ends. You might want to ditch that and switch to metal with proper overhangs.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:46 PM »
If I were you, I would use aluminum trim coil over the siding and get it out on the ice to fish.  The season is too short as it is and to do a major overhaul of your shanty during prime fish time is probably not what you want to be doing.  Aluminum trim coil is cheap, light and durable.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:01 PM »
If I were you, I would use aluminum trim coil over the siding and get it out on the ice to fish.  The season is too short as it is and to do a major overhaul of your shanty during prime fish time is probably not what you want to be doing.  Aluminum trim coil is cheap, light and durable.

Good point, get it out there and use it while you can and figure out what other off season improvements you want to make.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I totally agree with Arctic Addict, go fishing NOW. Then in the summer do your remodeling on your shack. Sometimes projects that I think are going to take a weekend takes 2 weekends. And then you cut corners to get done sooner and later on you kick yourself for doing that. Another thing, when your fishing in you new shack you will be thinking how you can improve it. Write them down for your summer project...... Good luck! 

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:21 AM »
How far do you plan on hauling the shack once you get to the lake and what do you have to haul it with?  To me those are the most important things when dealing with a hard side.  If you plan on trailering it to the lake unloading it and not dragging it around then you don't need to sink money into the skis.  If you have to haul it by sled/wheeler for a few miles then skis are the most important part of your shack...if you cant move it then you will spend more time messing with it than fishing from it. 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:56 AM »
If it were me, I would get that out on the lake and be using it!  Upgrades/repairs are for off-season in my mind, unless they're necessary.  Nice score on the shack!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:30 PM »
If it were me, I would get that out on the lake and be using it!  Upgrades/repairs are for off-season in my mind, unless they're necessary.  Nice score on the shack!

2X !!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:56 PM »
One of my shacks is that size roughly...  12 v. lights and an old car radio will make that thing perfect.  It's easy to do yourself and to cut down on weight, I used a jet ski battery for power.  It runs my car radio and three LED lights for two full days without recharging and is half the size of a regular car battery.  Half the cost as well.  Get it out there and fish it...  trick it out this summer!!!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.