Author Topic: Cascade/Horsethief this weekend  (Read 1965 times)

Offline keyesdustin14

• IceShanty Rookie
Cascade/Horsethief this weekend
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:43 PM »
We have a decent size group of people that are coming up to Cascade this weekend to do a little ice fishing and have some fun at the rental cabin for our yearly trip.  Any particular spots hitting well right now?  We typically bring up a couple younger kids so it is always good to get them excited and catching.

Is the road to the island plowed or is it like last year out at the road?

How about off the boat dock at poision creek?

How is the slush?

How are the roads to Horsethief?  Are the trout hitting after the kids event?  Did all of the perch get killed off a couple years ago?

I just got a new gas auger after all the holes we did last year by hand.

Thanks for any and all advise and if you see a group of 10 or 15 this weekend feel free to stop by and say hi and grab a beer.

Offline Vandal78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cascade/Horsethief this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:34 AM »
keyesdustin14, go to Idaho fishing reports and conditions and look under Cascade/Valley county link, lots of current conditions info there. Sounds like it has been hit or miss on Cascade depending on where you go. Hope this helps.

We have a decent size group of people that are coming up to Cascade this weekend to do a little ice fishing and have some fun at the rental cabin for our yearly trip.  Any particular spots hitting well right now?  We typically bring up a couple younger kids so it is always good to get them excited and catching.

Is the road to the island plowed or is it like last year out at the road?

How about off the boat dock at poision creek?

How is the slush?

How are the roads to Horsethief?  Are the trout hitting after the kids event?  Did all of the perch get killed off a couple years ago?

I just got a new gas auger after all the holes we did last year by hand.

Thanks for any and all advise and if you see a group of 10 or 15 this weekend feel free to stop by and say hi and grab a beer.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:44 PM »
I assume you are asking about Stonebreaker Lane- the closest approach to Sugarloaf island- That road is not plowed, so in bigger snow years, it is impassible. It is not open this year. We have caught perch south of Poison Creek- the slush was manageable before this last storm, but I am pretty sure thy got a large dump last night, which means fresh slush, with no sub zero temps in the near future to freeze it. Horsethief is open, all roads and the main lot plowed for kids fishing day last weekend, No perch there, trout fishing better in the north end I have been told.

Good luck!
 :tipup:

Offline keyesdustin14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Well fun weekend but the fish must have been as hung over as we were.  Went to Poison creek and got one nice tour but no perch. Heading to Horsethief right now. Hopefully the rest of you had better luck than we did. Will report after today.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2017, 01:28 PM »
I wouldn't say it's all about mobility, but that certainly has a lot to do with.  I fished an area within a mile or so of Poison on Friday and caught 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket full.  Then on Saturday, I fished a spot a few hundred yards away from the day before and got nothing for over an hour.  Moved to the previous days spot and we immediately started catching.  4 guys filled a 5 gallon bucket.  Not a banner day, but still decent.  If you are not catching but you stay and fish in the same spot all day, you need to re-think your fishing tactics.  If I'm not catching within a reasonable amount of time, then I'm thinking about where to try next.  Move, move, move. 

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:44 PM »
With out pictures it's just another fish story ;)2

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2017, 06:50 PM »
And I can make em up faster than I can tell them........   ;) ;D

Offline realcatfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:38 PM »
I've fished with hooknhunter many times. If he aint catchin ,likely no body is. If he sayes he caught a bucket full I'd not dispute.Gotta keep your bait warm!!!!!!!!!!

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:12 AM »
I was with hooknhunter on Friday and his fishing buddy Bill . They did way better than me and my brother . Bill caught lots of Jumbo'so.  The biggest was 1 pound 15 ounces . We have pictures,  it is a pain to post here .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:52 AM »
I've fished with hooknhunter many times. If he aint catchin ,likely no body is. If he sayes he caught a bucket full I'd not dispute.Gotta keep your bait warm!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think PackFan doubts at all.  He just wants pictures......  Don't blame him, but I don't post pictures on this forum because it is too big of a pita.  If they made is more like that other forum, I might........

But then I gotta take'm before I can post 'em.   ;)   Hardly ever take pictures anymore.  Only if they are hogs.  We did get any hogs....... ???

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:00 PM »
I agree with posting pictures on this site that's why I post pics on another year round site, Just giving you some crap from the hassle I got from some of you guys last summer when my son and I went up and hammered the nice perch at Cascade. I'll be at CJ this weekend Fri. Sat. & Sunday, black Polaris snowmobile and red Eskimo tents, stop by and say hey if any of you are there. :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.