Author Topic: To Whom it May Concern...  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Roughtimes1

• IceShanty Rookie
To Whom it May Concern...
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:38 PM »
[/URL]

The pictures above are taken from the pond I currently live on... this pond almost 4 years ago was the home of some of the biggest crappie I have seen.  It since had EXTREME human pressure and the population has dwindled to a point I wouldn't spend the day out there to catch a crappie if you paid me....I UNDERSTAND people have by catch but I live on this pond, and if the fishing sucks then how is it gonna get better when the juveniles are killed off? I'm not one to complain about much but fellas I don't want to be picking up your damn trash and looking at dead juvenile fish that are all this pond has for a future.  Thanks and tight Lines
"A Bad day of fishing beats a good day of anything else"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: test
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:39 PM »
congrats you passed, nice job.
Salmonemia

Offline Roughtimes1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: To Whom it May Concern...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Im missing the third picture its too much damn work to get it on here but the picture of 3 doesn't look like much but there was north of 12 dead crappie...

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Sorry to see that Roughtimes1.  >:(
I remember when that was a good fishery.  :(

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:54 PM »
That is a real shame. Its unfortunate for sure. Big fish are not born big. People do not understand that. No respect for nature. I suggest post image for loading pics it is the easiest way.
Salmonemia

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:04 PM »
That is a shame for sure.  There was a out of the way pond where I could catch several 12-18" brookie a day for several years until it was found by other icefisherman and then it was cleaned in 2 years.  It is a shame when it happens.  Fishing can be the ultimate tragedy of the Commons.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Hey R.T.   Hard to cypher sometimes why people have to be soooo selfish!  I agee that they can't grow bigger if dead and wasted!  I'm 67 and will die not ever knowin why it's sooo hard for many people to NOT think of others!  I don't fish for "green" ones but still it erks me to see the pickerel photo and KNOW that it took more effort and time to cut its head off than to cut the line and release!  The other sad part is....that any of those dead fish would have been a trophy to any 5 yr. old!!   Just my $.02!  Stay safe Friends   O.P.    :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:37 PM »
Smh at this. If someone takes the time to kill a pickerel, why do they let good meat go to waste. Also if they kill a pickerel thinking that it will help the crappie fishery, they just played themselves hard. What do you think keeps the population in enough of a check where they can grow to slab size? Most of the best panfish and bass ponds that I fish that have large fish have robust pickerel populations. They get a bad rap because of northing

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:48 PM »
why has the pressure increase?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:41 PM »
why has the pressure increase?
Word of mouth and interweb!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:24 AM »
DNGDINGDING!!! We have a winner folks. It amazes me the excuses people come up with when I question them about hotspotting specific areas....
99% of them have an excuse and can't even fathom why there would be an issue. 100% of the time they get defensive.
It's fairly clear they get their reports off the Internet and have no clue about the time and effort people who actually fish put into this sport.
Real fishermen understand that it's not about catching fish every trip, something the Internet report crowd will NEVER understand.

Offline Roughtimes1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:56 AM »
I agree, I can't tell you and I won't even bother explaining what I deal with between feeding my family commercial lobstering and the tuna fishing alone.  I'm with you, im the guy fishing for weeks catching nothing and still enjoying the day, and keeping my log book until the day comes that I do catch em. And hey I don't own the pond so really who am I to say anything.  But my point is christ killin them ain't gonna bring back the fishery. Like ole Polanski said.  To us that juvenile might be useless but to my kid that right line just changed her world.  I'm not here to start a rant I just want that to be clear.  Appreciate all your support fellas.  I figure the least I can do is change someone's mind about doing it again.  Good fishin to each one of you and tight lines

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:41 AM »
I just can't for the life of me understand the point in killing fish and leaving them on the ice, if you're not going to eat them don't kill them! Someone else might have the time of their life catching some of these fish we see laying all over the ice

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:44 AM »
I just can't for the life of me understand the point in killing fish and leaving them on the ice, if you're not going to eat them don't kill them! Someone else might have the time of their life catching some of these fish we see laying all over the ice

"feeding the animals" is what I usually hear, that and I know a guy who lives off Baboosic Lake who throws all the pickeral he catches on the ice because he doesn't like how they "ruin the ecosystem"

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:25 PM »
Idiots everywhere!

Same guys that leave cans and butts on the ice!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:29 PM »
 I was fishing today on Balch Lake and one spot that got hit hard over the weekend was littered with several carcasses of the filleted fish..and a pile or two of just dead fish ... Nothing like leaving your garbage
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:38 PM »
"feeding the animals" is what I usually hear, that and I know a guy who lives off Baboosic Lake who throws all the pickeral he catches on the ice because he doesn't like how they "ruin the ecosystem"
That's as bad as excuses come and pickerel help the fishery, they are native and they eat all the weaker and sick fish

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:26 AM »
"SLIME DARTS"
LIVES
MATTER

Just wondering if trout are stocked in the pond. Slobs.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:45 AM »
No trout stockin, Denny.  :nono:
Was a good warm water fishery.
The morons aren't helping it replenish.

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:03 AM »
That's a bummer to have those kinds of numbers just left above the ice. Though I must admit I have thrown fish to eagles before but I pick up whatever goes untouched.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:35 AM »
The most common explanation I get is "The birds have to eat too!" Guess what.. the birds don't need help eating, they can manage just fine on their own.

This kind of littering and waste is disgraceful.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:49 AM »
Last season while living in Rhode Island I went out to a place by URI that is a great numbers pond, tons of yellow and white perch plus the occasional pickerel and largemouth.

While we were heading out to our usual spot, we could see something dark on the ice. As we got closer, it was a carcass of a huge largemouth. It had to be close to six pounds, measuring over 20" and was fat. Whoever left the carcass also left the skin next to it. It really put me in a foul mood that day. It's just a bad look.
Marking anything?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:20 AM »
"SLIME DARTS"
LIVES
MATTER

Just wondering if trout are stocked in the pond. Slobs.
Damn right they do.. a 4 1/4 lber won me $250 in last years rotary derby!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:25 AM »
That was you congratulations my friend.  :clap:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:33 AM »
That was you congratulations my friend.  :clap:

it was and thank you... and funny as it kind of pertains to this thread... an Eagle stole one that was over 5 on my digital scale  from my pile while I was picking up to head to the weigh in!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:38 AM »
There are a lot of eagles around they should be starting a season soon. I don't like eating them though they taste "fishy".

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:44 AM »
There are a lot of eagles around they should be starting a season soon. I don't like eating them though they taste "fishy".
;D :tipup:

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:46 AM »

I thought you were going to say they tasted like Loon.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:19 PM »

Only the eagles who eat lead jigs taste like loon's..... come on now

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:23 PM »

Loon's definitely taste more fishy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.