Author Topic: Auger blades  (Read 1366 times)

Offline takemboys

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger blades
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 02:17 PM »
This topic has probally been brought up before, but why doesn't any auger manufacture use carbide blades instead

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 02:30 PM »
I would think they would be a lot harder to resharpen.
<===Lefty===

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:05 PM »
I am machinist, and I work with lots of cutting tool materials. for what its worth.. I am thinking the reason behind this is that Carbide is brittle, and like any material, the colder the temps, the more brittle it will be. Blades have a fine edge, and would snap off easily if hit with any impact. Steel is malleable, so if hit, would be more resistant to breaking the cutting edge.
.....Also cost $$$  ::)

Good question though.... it would seem that carbide would be a more long lasting solution
Chasing Ice

Offline takemboys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:05 PM »
For curiosity's sake I tried it with a circulars saw with carbide blade and wow! Cut like nothings there.I know its a different type of cut and higher rpm but if you could make auger blades but then again they would sell less blades.   Just my two cents

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:23 PM »
If you look at most carbide tools, the carbide is pretty much limited to the cutting edge.  Drill bits, saw blades just have little pieces of carbide on a steel structure.  I'm not sure how to apply this methodology to an ice auger blade.  Come to think of it, I've never seen a carbide edged knife, but maybe someone makes one. (Update, they do make them, according to Google).

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Since a fully carbide blade might not be cost effective, a carbide tipped blade would be more expensive but affordable.
The other point to consider is how the carbide blade tip is attached? It would probably be welded, which in cold weather could be a weak point, and thus could cause the carbide section to snap off.

Then there is the brittleness factor, and how the carbide would perform under the winter use conditions (sand and dirt in ice, bottoming out in shallows, etc...)

(Of course that would need to be tested and confirmed, and I am only speculating.)

Could be something to consider.....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline beck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:59 PM »
I am a tool and die maker and deal with carbide every day. I think they don't make them cause of cost carbide is expensive and would just add more cost to your auger. I make carbide tipped tooling for the carbide and ceramic industries to make an auger blade it would be just like my tooling and saw blades it would be steel and the tip would be carbide. To answer your question on how it would be connected, it would be silver soldered which is super strong you would never break that bond if its done right. time to make some carbide blades great idea!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:12 PM »
I am a tool and die maker and deal with carbide every day. I think they don't make them cause of cost carbide is expensive and would just add more cost to your auger. I make carbide tipped tooling for the carbide and ceramic industries to make an auger blade it would be just like my tooling and saw blades it would be steel and the tip would be carbide. To answer your question on how it would be connected, it would be silver soldered which is super strong you would never break that bond if its done right. time to make some carbide blades great idea!

How about a Tripan type tool with a 8"OD, 7.75"ID tube with teeth brazed on the end. The 8" blades we now use shaves 50.3 sq. inches of ice.
A Tripan type of tool 8"OD 7.5"ID would cut 6.2 sq. inches of ice. The slug left would float up a bit which would be lifted out of the hole (with a pair of ice tongs from days of old). Cutting / shaving 6 sq.inches of ice  would be a lot easier than 50 sq. inches.
This is thinking outside the box (hole).
Leave Some For Seed

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:21 PM »
Even cobalt or titanium coated blades (like drill bits) would be an improvement....

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 07:59 PM »
How about a Tripan type tool with a 8"OD, 7.75"ID tube with teeth brazed on the end. The 8" blades we now use shaves 50.3 sq. inches of ice.
A Tripan type of tool 8"OD 7.5"ID would cut 6.2 sq. inches of ice. The slug left would float up a bit which would be lifted out of the hole (with a pair of ice tongs from days of old). Cutting / shaving 6 sq.inches of ice  would be a lot easier than 50 sq. inches.

With the added benefit of very little slush.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Even cobalt or titanium coated blades (like drill bits) would be an improvement....

Coated endmills that have been resharpened can be re-coated as well.  No reason a set of auger blades couldn't be sent out for coating.  I have no idea how much that would cost for this.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline beck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:17 PM »
all the trepan tools I've ever used is for cutting 3" depth but you guys are on to something. Guys i think i might have come up with something with your help a couple of our customers require ion nitriding on some of there tooling i think that might be the way to go. Check it out no more rust tuff as nails just like carbide (trust me) I've had to grind it before and won't change size of blades

Offline beck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:19 PM »
like a hole hog for ice

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:40 PM »
like a hole hog for ice

Been done, a good while back...

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/7440/item/408

<°)))>{

Offline takemboys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Must have been fun getting the plug out of that thing.

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:28 PM »
What about cryogenics, supposed to hold an edge better than normal.  Might be worth a shot.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:44 PM »
What about cryogenics, supposed to hold an edge better than normal.  Might be worth a shot.

It's no different than heat treating, it should all be called..

"Crystal controlled steel"

That's all it is..

Steel, just like ice, can have a lot of different properties, simply depending on how it was allowed to freeze.. Or almost thaw and refreeze again, or, or,....

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.