Author Topic: Fishing someones egg holes.  (Read 8297 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fishing someones egg holes.
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Fished a 2 trap lake yesterday, went way far from people I was looking for solitude plus a stream inlet that was 3400 feet away each way. My friend was a lot closer to the access point I was no there to witness this but her goes. Him and his buddy had 2 traps in each and had drilled some egg holes that they periodically checked as we all do..... In hopes of a missing egg or two. A few hrs later a guy shows up with a chisel intent to fish but no auger. He walks right over through there set and they let him know what there doing. He disregards them and sets his lines in the holes they just drilled. I mean he didn't even ask just overtook the holes. Apparently it got pretty heated. The guy said well where am I supposed to fish. Meanwhile the entire perimeter of the lake was wide open for the taking. My buddy said look around theres plenty of spots.  I know we can only have 2 traps in at once but to just walk right into someone's set and take over holes you just drilled is that ballsy or what? Ive seen a lot but this takes the cake.
Salmonemia

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing someones egg holes.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:06 PM »
Some folks have no class or a clue as to fishing ethics. He would have been much better served if he didn't understand the egg hole strategy - if he asked what are all these extra holes.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:07 PM »
By the letter of the law...I guess he can use the holes. .ethically. ..bush league. ..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:17 PM »
Im not surprised it got heated. Id make sure that guy knew what i thought of him. There is NO excuse for that with a whole lake out there.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:31 PM »
That's ballsy, but not unheard of. people suck what can you say. I saw a group last year do the same thing to someone we were fishing next too. The guy got heated, but what can you do. People lack common sense/ decency is all.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:46 PM »
I always hear about stuff like this happening to guys but have never experienced it myself... Sometimes there are benefits to being a big huckleberry looking dude with a .44 hanging on my hip... I've been told at times I look "unapproachable" lol
If it were to happen to me, I could definitely see things going south fast... Walking up and fishing holes that were drilled and chummed by someone elso shows zero respect.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Sounds like he was looking to piggyback off of someone else's work, just brought a chisel to chip away new ice in a freshly cut hole.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:55 PM »
 that's why I fish where I fish.. the fishing is crappy enough that no one wants to fish there anyway ;D
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Trouty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:56 PM »
That's not right, especially after letting him know what they were doing.

He could of just asked for help drilling a hole or two...

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 02:02 PM »
It is especially aggravating when someone takes your hole, and then proceeds to catch an 18" rainbow out of it  >:( All without asking

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2017, 02:06 PM »
It is especially aggravating when someone takes your hole, and then proceeds to catch an 18" rainbow out of it  >:( All without asking
Well actually sure enough that guy actually got a bow out of the hole he took over, no kidding. I was fuming just hearing about it.
Salmonemia

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2017, 02:07 PM »
By the letter of the law...I guess he can use the holes. .ethically. ..bush league. ..
Bush League. LMAO
Salmonemia

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:00 PM »
I've had that happen a few times. It's definitely very frustrating!

The degree of frustration would depend on the circumstances...

If I had previously drilled and egged all the holes well prior to the new guy(s) showing up and there was still plenty of other unoccupied areas on the lake to fish? Then Yes! I'd absolutely have a talk with him/them. How they responded would determine how I'd respond.

However... If on a lake with limited ice or unoccupied areas to fish? I would have to take into consideration how much area I'm am covering... and be considerate of someone else trying to fish as well... Common Courtesy would Hopefully mean they come over and say hello and ask first though.

During Derbies this happens Alot!!! Everyone wants Prime territory. Although I feel it should be first come first serve... It's Never the case and often there will be a heated argument.
A Big part of why I stopped fishing Winnepesauke during the Rotary Derby years ago. Limited access keeps the masses close by sooo I would make sure I'd do my homework and move well away from the crowds. Unfortunately the winters weve had aren't what they used to be when we would have 2ft of ice to travel on... So alot of those places are often unaccessible or aren't worth the effort.

Regardless it all comes down to common courtesy and ethics. The polite sportsman like thing to do would at least be to go over and introduce yourself and state your intentions and maybe even ask permission if You're going to fish close/next to someone who's already "claimed" and area.

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:26 PM »
I've had that happen a few times. It's definitely very frustrating!

The degree of frustration would depend on the circumstances...

If I had previously drilled and egged all the holes well prior to the new guy(s) showing up and there was still plenty of other unoccupied areas on the lake to fish? Then Yes! I'd absolutely have a talk with him/them. How they responded would determine how I'd respond.

However... If on a lake with limited ice or unoccupied areas to fish? I would have to take into consideration how much area I'm am covering... and be considerate of someone else trying to fish as well... Common Courtesy would Hopefully mean they come over and say hello and ask first though.

During Derbies this happens Alot!!! Everyone wants Prime territory. Although I feel it should be first come first serve... It's Never the case and often there will be a heated argument.
A Big part of why I stopped fishing Winnepesauke during the Rotary Derby years ago. Limited access keeps the masses close by sooo I would make sure I'd do my homework and move well away from the crowds. Unfortunately the winters weve had aren't what they used to be when we would have 2ft of ice to travel on... So alot of those places are often unaccessible or aren't worth the effort.

Regardless it all comes down to common courtesy and ethics. The polite sportsman like thing to do would at least be to go over and introduce yourself and state your intentions and maybe even ask permission if You're going to fish close/next to someone who's already "claimed" and area.

All great points!

I would also say that this sounds like the guy was being quite inconsiderate even if they did approach him and explain what the holes were for. To continue fishing them anyways is basically throwing any common courtesy out the window. However, I also understand that there are plenty of places to fish on a lake but some places just out produce others on a consistent bases. I've seen some people take up an entire cove that's prime fishing territory with dozens of holes and traps everywhere. While there is plenty of lake to fish there are also certain spots that are just more popular than others... doesn't mean people need to take up entire areas just to keep others away. Plenty of fish near those honey holes.

Doesn't sound like that was the case here and the guy was just being a jerk. I probably would've offered to drill a few holes for him somewhere nearby.

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Like with any other sport, there are always gonna be people that don't respect common courtesy, and the unwritten ethics. People suck

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:49 PM »
For what its worth, NHTF is spot on.

99.7% of the time if you took the time to go speak to a fellow ice fisherman / women, they would offer you "their" area, food, drink and good conversations. Most of the time that's all it takes...break the ice so to speak. A bit awkward at first but most of the time ends up good. If the person has issues with it and being a.....then you know where you stand and move on. Why deal with that.

I believe in first come, first serve too. That's why i get up at 3:30 am during early ice to get to where I'm going and get set up before light and the crowd. This season for early ice was fantastic, i had the places to myself and ended up with several browns and brookies but more importantly enjoyed the peace, quiet and alone time with my thoughts. ZEN.

Just show some respect, kindness, common courtesy, good ethics and etiquette it goes along ways.

Ps: I treat people the way i get treated. My old man told me if someone is nice to you, you better be twice as nice back. If someone is an arsehole, then be twice the arsehole they are. Miss ya Dad!

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:52 PM »
For what its worth, NHTF is spot on.

99.7% of the time if you took the time to go speak to a fellow ice fisherman / women, they would offer you "their" area, food, drink and good conversations. Most of the time that's all it takes...break the ice so to speak. A bit awkward at first but most of the time ends up good. If the person has issues with it and being a.....then you know where you stand and move on. Why deal with that.

I believe in first come, first serve too. That's why i get up at 3:30 am during early ice to get to where I'm going and get set up before light and the crowd. This season for early ice was fantastic, i had the places to myself and ended up with several browns and brookies but more importantly enjoyed the peace, quiet and alone time with my thoughts. ZEN.

Just show some respect, kindness, common courtesy, good ethics and etiquette it goes along ways.

Ps: I treat people the way i get treated. My old man told me if someone is nice to you, you better be twice as nice back. If someone is an arsehole, then be twice the arsehole they are. Miss ya Dad!

I like that quote! Be twice the arsehole they are... that's awesome. Sounds like a good man!

Offline Goggls911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Had pretty much the same thing happen I was set up near a access point... I was checking my holes when he walked out. I talk to him for a few mins and when I walked away to check my other holes he chisled a hole 5 ft from my egg holes 2 traps 5 ft from 2 holes. BS

Offline Brodie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:31 PM »
Sorry for the newbie question but what is an egg hole?

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:41 PM »

Doesn't sound like that was the case here and the guy was just being a jerk. I probably would've offered to drill a few holes for him somewhere nearby.

I would as well.....in a tight circle around him.  ;) >:D

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Sorry for the newbie question but what is an egg hole?
When fishing for rainbows on 2 trap lakes, most guys punch a bunch of holes and drop a couple salmon eggs in them. The rainbows will eat the eggs of the bottom. When you see that the eggs are gone off the bottom, move a trap to this hole, and 9 times out of ten the fish will hit.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:57 PM »
I would as well.....in a tight circle around him.  ;) >:D

Aye Captain you would have him "Walk the plank". A tight circle duct tape him to his chair.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:04 PM »
The way I protect my holes is to set dumby cusk lines. Can still view the bottom and holes look like they are being fished

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:11 PM »
On one hand, he might have not known. On the other, he shouldn't have been such a jerk when you explained that they were your egg holes.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:46 PM »
It was MLK weekend and the ice was awash w/ flatties with no regard for others !  ::)

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:49 PM »
The way I protect my holes is to set dumby cusk lines. Can still view the bottom and holes look like they are being fished
THAT is a great idea. Sounds like this guy had a "dummy" chisel. Lol

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I like that plan
Salmonemia

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:01 PM »
A trap/tipup/tilt/tipdown/..... Doesn't count towards your line limit if it doesn't have line on it, it's just equipment you have at a hole..

That's all I'm saying..

<°)))>{

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Aye Captain you would have him "Walk the plank". A tight circle duct tape him to his chair.

Aye, you got that right.

Offline shedhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:49 PM »
Thanks Wayne! I would like to add to this story about the situation! One hour before this guy came his buddy came and set up 75yrds from me and his jiffy would not start. I walked over and cut all his holes for him! Then his buddy came in unknown to him that i had cut all his buddys holes and he started to set up in our holes then things got heated fast. I think once his buddy talked to him about what i had did for him he felt like a big a$$! And then he tried to apologize in his own way!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.