Author Topic: Up coming plus temperatures  (Read 1309 times)

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Up coming plus temperatures
« on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:36 AM »
 Do you think it will do any damage? I was on Broadrick Sunday, and there was basically no snow cover. With no snow insulation will it create unsafe conditions? I imagine there will be surface water and then with the refreeze there will be many shacks stuck in the ice.

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the up coming plus temperatures.

Offline amatue

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Up coming plus temperatures
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:26 PM »
this time of year the highs do not last long.Should have zero effect on ice conditions.Ice may get shinny but would be surprised to see any water on ice.As long as the lows are below zero.18 hours of below zero 6 hours above.

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:26 PM »
if you know anyone that's has a wood stove ask them for some ashes .when its slippery like it is now I throw some on the ice when im fihing sure makes it a lot safer...

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:57 PM »
 no worries.  sun only peaks for an hour or two a day.  get the trucks out on the ice, bring cleats and fish!

Offline struff55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:48 PM »
I don't think you have to worry it takes all of April and part of may for the ice to melt so a week of plus 2 won't matter and on the other matter a pair of ice cleats at can tire $14.95 they work awesome

Offline Northern Pikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:46 PM »
For the most part the ice should stay good. What nobody has mentioned is that any place that has current you will lose ice from below. If the waterbody you plan to fish or travel on has current be careful. Talk to someone that knows the area.  Ice that was good to drive on last week could be unsafe after 3-4 days of warm weather if there is a lot of current
We were out this past weekend and the ice looked good through this one narrows on Saturday but on Sunday there was open water. we know that this area is unsafe and wouldn't travel there. I'm just trying to illustrate that you need to be safe when traveling on ice.

Travel safe and happy fishing.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Rosco39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2017, 02:20 PM »
Also watch for heaves. The warm weather after a cold front is a naste creator of heaves

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.