• IceShanty Rookie
Augers
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Whats the best auger

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Augers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:48 PM »
hold on to your shorts.  you will get a lot of replies from 2 stroke to 4 stroke to propane to electric to drill and everything under the sun.  go to the upper left of the main page and type in the subject in the search engine and you can read for hours.

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Well said there's endless options . Between the gasoline , propane , electric Ion types , Clam plate for a cheaper drill or some of the new High torque drills , adapter & hand drill attached. Depends on what part of each set up is most important to U. I personally have one the the hand auger/lithium drill adapters . Light,efficient, dependable & no gas mixing/mess.
Don't horse em!

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:04 PM »
How much do you want to spend?spud bar, spoon, Hand, gas, propane, electric, electric drill set up?  10" 8" 6" 4.5" ? 

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:11 PM »
also depending on where you live dictates what you buy.  down here 3 to 6 inches of ice is all we get.  if you live north of the boarder they get over 3 feet or more so their augers differ from mine a lot. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:21 PM »
My vote is for the Eskimo Mako because it's reasonably priced, reliable, and has a decent amount of power.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:26 AM »
wow, pretty open ended question. Do you fish for panfish mostly? Fish often or every once in a while? Local lakes, or do you travel? Garage or basement? manual, gas, electric?

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:19 PM »
I was all about my nils auger with 20v dewalt drill until 2 weeks ago when I got to see an 8" k-drill in action. hands down the most awesome auger I ever seen in use.  When in comes down to gas vs battery there is no reason in PA to have a gas auger. I get 60 6" holes in 6" of ice with my nils/dewalt 20v combo. its lightweight and I have an adapter to charge my phone and operate my lights at night off the dewalt batteries for me it works well and keeps the weight down.  Next year I will have and 8" k-drill for sure!

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Same here Charger , I've been wanting to get a K-Drill for 3-4 years but I finally saw one in action. I'll have the 6" inch by next fall. Only reason I'm  going with 6" instead  of 8" is that u can literally connect 2 holes together  with the K-Drill .
Don't horse em!

Offline Scott1059

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 04:30 PM »
If your planning on buying a hand auger I would get a smaller diameter a lot less effort and you will end up drilling more holes and ultimately more fish. Check out the want ads can find one cheap and only have to Sharpen the blades good luck

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Iceman only reason I'm going with the 8 over the 6 is how effortless it drills . But I may consider the 6 for the same reason you mentioned

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Either way charger if ice fishing is your passion the K-Drill is  $$ well spent!!!
Don't horse em!

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:55 PM »
Have 8 hand auger and Eskimo stingray 8 inchers. Five of inches or so hand ,more then comes the gas. I. Don't have to haul far to the ice so the weight is no big deal just space in sled. But I would take. Good 4 " of the ice right now

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2017, 03:53 AM »
Whats the best auger
the one you buy and use ;D
talk to people out on the ice most will talk your ear off and probally let you try theres
i started with a cordless drill then gas now propane
if you buy one and arent satisfied sell it and try something else till you are happy
dont have to buy new there are plenty of good used ones for sale

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:35 AM »
I just bought the Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill (1200 "/lbs) and don't know why anybody would go gas or propane after seeing this beast in action!  ::) 
I drilled 20+ holes yesterday in 10" of ice with an 8" Strikemaster auger and still had 3 of 4 bars on battery. Very lightweight and easy to maneuver with the side handle.

Best part is I can loosen the chuck and drop the auger and I have a top notch drill to use around the house. It's a no-brainer to me!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline tokyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:30 PM »
JK, what prompts the question?  Are you in the market or just trying to start a conversation/incite a riot.  You could follow up with, which is the best flasher?  As it was stated earlier, there are a multitude of styles, powered and manual.  First decide what suits your needs and what your budget is.

If you are looking, I am selling my 8" Strikemaster Mag 2000.

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:44 PM »
Ruttnutt, that's my same set up except I have a 7". As I stated above I'll be replacing the strike master with a
K-Drill for next season .
Don't horse em!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:10 PM »
I like the ION.  Watched a guy this past weekend when it was cold out leave parking lot when we got to lake.  He was still pulling on the gas auger after we loaded the sleds walked 150 yds and drilled 5 holes before he got his started.  Press button and drill.  Drilled about 40 8inch holes and still showed full charge.  I have drained battery only 2 times since owned this auger, but I have already drained gas tank on old strike master gas auger a few times out on the ice.  Best advice, get what you can afford.  Nice thing about 8 inch, can bring most fish through hole and can also put transducer in same hole you are fishing.  Good luck.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:12 AM »
JK, what prompts the question?  Are you in the market or just trying to start a conversation/incite a riot.  You could follow up with, which is the best flasher?  As it was stated earlier, there are a multitude of styles, powered and manual.  First decide what suits your needs and what your budget is.

If you are looking, I am selling my 8" Strikemaster Mag 2000.

that wouldn't be much of a conversation starter... everyone knows that Humminbirds are the best flashers  >:D

Offline tokyo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:40 PM »

that wouldn't be much of a conversation starter... everyone knows that Humminbirds are the best flashers  >:D

Whooooooh, pump the brakes there fella.  I was only kidding about inciting a riot.   ;D ;D :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2017, 05:45 AM »
LOL! I figured this thread would be 10 pages long by now...  :whistle:

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:23 AM »
No auger just rock salt

Offline icemanjoe92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:56 PM »
I like my strike master gas auger I have had 10 plus years just have to take care of it

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Whats the best auger
Boy, you opened a can of worms...lotsa smart ice guys on here, you'll get some good ideas...but if you fish where you don't get much ice, like 4-8" a season, then a six inch hand auger is the best auger.
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2017, 04:55 AM »
lotsa smart ice guys on here nooooooooooooo ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
every body has a opinion onwhat they like to use
use what you can afford and are comfortable with you can always upgrade
find someone that has what you are kinda looking for and ask if you can tag along and use
this is what happens when there is no ice :( :( :( :(
people spend wayyyyyyyyyyy to much time on the puters :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.