Author Topic: Flipover Shanty question  (Read 572 times)

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flipover Shanty question
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 04:04 PM »
I bought a new Jason Mitchell Scheels Exclusive Voyager X ice house this season.  I had the Voyager TCX prior and this is the same house except its fully thermal (1800D) and is grey instead of a black on the inside.  I went fishing with it today and it was sunny.  I did not realize how much light this new house would let in.  My question is what are your opinions on having light in the shack.  I personally like it dark inside the shanty and if I want light I use a battery powered light.  I was fishing a lake today that the water was clear and I could see my lure 11ft down.  Does light coming into the house bother fish or not?

JR50

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flipover Shanty question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 04:49 PM »
If there was no snow cover, and you were on good, clear ice, my guess is that the light coming into your flip over was reflecting off the ice and water. If you could see your lure at 11', I suspect the light coming into your shack wouldn't effect the fish very much. I would think that sound would effect them more. I know what you're saying about a dark interior, I think it would be easier to fish.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 07:41 AM »
The lake was covered by snow so I don't think the light was coming up from under me.  In order to see my jig at 11ft I had to get low to the hole so my head caused a shadow in the water.  I like being able to tie my jigs in the house without having to open windows or turn on a light but I am used to fishing with it being pretty dark inside.  If the extra light inside doesn't affect the bite I probably won't worry about it to much.

thanks
jr50

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:15 AM »
it may or may not in your lake. try it both ways to find out. if the bite is okay and then you get the light going, see if they quit.

at night, you have to have light. i fish a lot at night and catch fish all night until they just look at the bait and swim away slowly.

for me, light does not affect the bite in a negative way. it helps the bite by bringing in more plankton.

if you think or know light is hurting your bite, then use a hunk of foam or what ever and make a floor and have light aiming sideways to the hole so your not shooting direct light down the hole. you can use a hole cover for when your light is on then.
i head lamp that has a dimmer comes to mind too. that's what i use and i use an ammo box with a cob light bar hot glued to the side of the lid and a switch on top.

take perch for example, they bite after the sun is up and quit before the sun goes down. your light won't hurt the bite from them. most fish bite in day light and many continue after sunset.

i also use led's on a strip and are attached to the two bars over head and i use a remote control dimmer/on/off switch. this would be good for your set up it seams like, if you like it dark. this will go down to about 10% of the full light of what ever led's your using now.

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:31 PM »
I know I saw posts on this before but has anyone found a spray paint that can be applied to the fabric on the inside of the shanty to make it darker.  Thanks jr50

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:34 PM »
start by adding reflectix to the ceiling.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.