The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Freshwater Smelt Fishing  (Read 7173 times)

Offline RICHDEV

• IceShanty Rookie
Freshwater Smelt Fishing
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 07:59 AM »
I haven't been able to catch fresh water smelts and would appreciate HELP, please. Lake i'd like to fish,Flying pond Marannacook L., Trickey. Pointers for daytime and nighttime.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Freshwater Smelt Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:58 AM »
I was interested in catching freshwater smelt last year too, but didnt have any luck. from what I've read, it's best to fish at night and attract them with lights. Find the top of a drop off going into deeper water so they can see the light and will come up/into the shallower area to feed.

Offline bigsebagofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:04 PM »
I'm really interested in this too, I see on some of the lake survey maps the state puts out they talk about an active winter smelt fishery. I have heard of people doing this but never any specifics. Where do I start? Shallow? Deep? Hook size? Bait? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Start with a flasher some days smelts are up under the ice ,some days on bottom , More around the areas the frequent .

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:15 PM »
They also can  be found in front of where a brook or a small bit of spring runoff flows into a lake.   I think they like the oxygen or bits of feed particles the running water provides.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:29 AM »
25 years ago, I was very interested in learning how to jig freshwater smelts to use for fishing. A friend and I were on Swan Lake in Swanville one morning. When we drilled our first hole, out come several smelts onto the ice. We thought, boy, this is going to be easy to catch them. Well, we started gigging in that same hole and never got a smelt. After awhile of not catching any smelts, an older gentleman walked over and proceded to catch smelt, one after the other, out of the same hole we were being skunked out of. Naturally,  we asked him how he was catching all those smelts so easily. He was nice enough to explain how to catch them. I would like to return the favor by paying it forward.
First you need to use the tiniest tear drop jigs you can find. It doesn't matter what jig colors you choose, because you will want to scrape off any paint on the jigs until just the lead color underneath is showing. Fresh water smelts love the lead colored jigs. You then top off your jig with a tiny maggot placed on the hook.
Now you're ready to jig some smelts. Start jigging 1 foot off the lake bottom. Once you catch the 1st smelt, continue to raise your jig 1 foot higher in the water column until you catch another one. Continue raising your jig 1 foot until you have all the smelts swimming in your ice hole. That's when the fun begins. When the smelts are circling in or near your ice hole, you can catch them one after the other in pretty short order. Once you stop getting any more near the ice surface, then drop your jig to 1 foot off bottom again and repeat the process to get them to the top of your hole again.
Here's a few other things that I have learned about fresh water smelts:
Lakes that have a huge population of smelts are the best lakes to jig them during the day.
If you don't get any near shore, 2 to 12 feet of water, move to deeper water, because most likely the smelts are being driven to deeper water because there's too many fish preying on them.
If you can't find smelts in the shallow water, then those lakes usually will smelt better at night.
Good luck. I sure appreciated having someone showing me the ropes.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:43 AM »
uncoated lead jigs are illegal to use in Maine waters  I believe.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience, Dennis.  I have a few spots where I get into some smelts close to bottom in 30-35 feet of water.  The fine tuning you have provided here of raising the fish up toward the hole should be real useful.

25 years ago, I was very interested in learning how to jig freshwater smelts to use for fishing. A friend and I were on Swan Lake in Swanville one morning. When we drilled our first hole, out come several smelts onto the ice. We thought, boy, this is going to be easy to catch them. Well, we started gigging in that same hole and never got a smelt. After awhile of not catching any smelts, an older gentleman walked over and proceded to catch smelt, one after the other, out of the same hole we were being skunked out of. Naturally,  we asked him how he was catching all those smelts so easily. He was nice enough to explain how to catch them. I would like to return the favor by playing it forward.
First you need to use the tiniest tear drop jigs you can find. It doesn't matter what jig colors you choose, because you will want to scrape off any paint on the jigs until just the lead color underneath is showing. Fresh water smelts love the lead colored jigs. You then top off your jig with a tiny maggot placed on the hook.
Now you're ready to jig some smelts. Start jigging 1 foot off the lake bottom. Once you catch the 1st smelt, continue to raise your jig 1 foot higher in the water column until you catch another one. Continue raising your jig 1 foot until you have all the smelts swimming in your ice hole. That's when the fun begins. When the smelts are circling in or near your ice hole, you can catch them one after the other in pretty short order. Once you stop getting any more near the ice surface, then drop your jig to 1 foot off bottom again and repeat the process to get them to the top of your hole again.
Lakes that have a huge population of smelts are the best lakes to jig them during the day.
If you don't get any near shore, 2 to 12 feet of water, move to deeper water, because most likely the smelts are being driven to deeper water because there's too many fish preying on them.
If you can't find smelts in the shallow water, then those lakes usually will smelt better at night.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:02 AM »
uncoated lead jigs are illegal to use in Maine waters  I believe.

You may be right Woodchip. I thought there was still a minimum size lead jig that still can be used. Anyways, one can use whatever the tiniest jigs that can legally be sold in Maine. Just scratch off the paint.

Thanks Jim.

Offline bigsebagofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:32 AM »
25 years ago, I was very interested in learning how to jig freshwater smelts to use for fishing. A friend and I were on Swan Lake in Swanville one morning. When we drilled our first hole, out come several smelts onto the ice. We thought, boy, this is going to be easy to catch them. Well, we started gigging in that same hole and never got a smelt. After awhile of not catching any smelts, an older gentleman walked over and proceded to catch smelt, one after the other, out of the same hole we were being skunked out of. Naturally,  we asked him how he was catching all those smelts so easily. He was nice enough to explain how to catch them. I would like to return the favor by paying it forward.
Thanks for the great info! Hope to try this over the weekend.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:40 AM »
I use a halo jig. They come in to larger flashier jigs but only hit tiny stuff. Hali has a little hook that hangs on a chain. Tip it with a tiny pc of bait. chain

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 01:18 PM »
I'm really interested in this too, I see on some of the lake survey maps the state puts out they talk about an active winter smelt fishery. I have heard of people doing this but never any specifics. Where do I start? Shallow? Deep? Hook size? Bait? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I jig for smelts quite regularly, mostly out of damariscotta lake, for me I have found that water around the 40 ft range is best, small hook or small swedish pimple tipped with a small piece of shiner just off bottom has been my most consistent, but of course if you have a flasher, you can monitor where they are in the water column, if you dont have a flasher I would focus my time just off bottom.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:31 PM »
We went out today. Couldn't find any perch but I jigged up 4 smelt

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:46 PM »
... and just because you aren't getting any bites,  doesn't mean there aren't any  fish around!
      Even the pesky perch can sit and watch a jig for hours without a bite should they be in such a mood!   
     I've seen a school come in on my flasher and stare at the jig/bait ect for an hour with maybe one little peck and then back to staring.
    Back to smelts,  have seen them in 40 ft of water on my flasher, and landed a few... but that's a slow  tricky process to catch a 3 inches fish in 40fow!   :wacko:

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:08 PM »
... and just because you aren't getting any bites,  doesn't mean there aren't any  fish around!
      Even the pesky perch can sit and watch a jig for hours without a bite should they be in such a mood!   
     I've seen a school come in on my flasher and stare at the jig/bait ect for an hour with maybe one little peck and then back to staring.
    Back to smelts,  have seen them in 40 ft of water on my flasher, and landed a few... but that's a slow  tricky process to catch a 3 inches fish in 40fow!   :wacko:
the smelts that I catch are regularly between 6-10 inches long, good eaters, best ive ever done in a day was 77, between two of us

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:31 PM »
I've heard of smelt 12" or more from a particular lake I fish, but have yet to find any or seen a school on my sonar.
 This post and advise made me remember a post from last year. This lake sounds promising if your up to try it, I may do it to just for bait and giggles, maybe to fry up if I catch enough. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=330291.msg3491313#msg3491313

Fishing for smelt is the only time in Maine that we are allowed to use more than one baited hook, but remember, anything else caught while using a rig like that is supposed to be released. Otherwise just use small jigs/spoons like fishing for panfish and hopefully get one at a time.

Offline 52lobstah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:49 PM »
It's more about the spot and time than the lure/rig. I always use size 16 long shank hooks. I buy them in the fly tieing section of sporting good shops. They trail .25 oz keel weights by about 6". Or in lakes with jack smelts we use Sabiki rigs. 30-60' of water 5' up.  There is a distinct lack of oxygen in the most pristine of Maine lakes close to the bottom. I'll post a picture for proof.

Offline 52lobstah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:54 PM »
https://postimg.cc/image/dvcmce30t/

This is an Allagash system lake.

Offline 52lobstah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:01 PM »
Most Northern Maine cold water lakes have a plethora of rainbow smelts. I used to catch 16 dozen a morning in Kennebec county when I was a teenager. Much easier in a shack. I hope I've shown the boy most of the tricks. We are headed after wild salmon this upcoming school break.

Offline 52lobstah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:09 PM »
https://postimg.cc/image/upakjp6c9/

2015 Touge using fresh caught smelts.

Offline 52lobstah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:18 PM »
https://postimg.cc/image/gp2q13am1/

Late season brown caught on jigged smelts 2015. I didn't fish much last year. Coached basketball so it cut into fishing time. This year I caught smelts 1 out of 3 tries. The moon frigs up the bite. Next week should be good. If your catching white perch in a smelt lake, the smelts aren't far away.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:37 PM »
https://postimg.cc/image/dvcmce30t/

This is an Allagash system lake.

Those are some big smelt!  I know they get bigger but im just use to seeing the bait sized ones. I remember reading a post from Canada or somewhere that they catch their smelt on tip ups using 3" minnows!

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:41 AM »
The smelts in my profile picture are freshwater smelts that I jigged up. 13" long.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:58 AM »
Nice looking togue Mr lobstah!

I just had to teach my auto spell the word "togue", it wanted to put " to guess" haha!

So yeah, maybe a stupid question,  but a jack smelt ( larger) must not be a bigger pin, or rainbow smelt, but a different species?   
     Some lakes here have both in them .

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Jack smelt, pin smelt, or rainbow smelt are all the same smelt. The only difference is how long they live and grow.

Offline 52lobstah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Smaller smelts are harder to catch during the day, but under a light tend to be easy to catch. Those jack smelts around the Allagash are pretty easy to find. Same species. They are rainbow smelts. Fish River Chain has them as well. I've seen these Jack Smelts get there teeth caught in biologists trap nets while surveying for Touge. We have caught smelts while dredging for cold water species. I'll try and video the boy hooking both bait size and bigger smelts. We are headed up North over the school break.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:19 AM »
It doesn't matter what jig colors you choose, because you will want to scrape off any paint on the jigs until just the lead color underneath is showing. Fresh water smelts love the lead colored jigs. You then top off your jig with a tiny maggot placed on the hook.

Very good info, Dennis, although I might suggest that folks could wrap the jig head with a small piece of bright silver aluminum foil to give the jig a lot of flash without breaking the law on bare lead jigs.

Biggest freshwater smelt I ever saw and measured was 141/2 inches at a Hancock County lake.

I've jigged smelts using a tiny piece of cotton ball on small hook. They get teeth caught in the soft cotton fibers. Also works with s hort piece of worm hanging off the bend of the hook and the smelts teeth get caught in the worm -- no need to hook them with the hook.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Very good info, Dennis, although I might suggest that folks could wrap the jig head with a small piece of bright silver aluminum foil to give the jig a lot of flash without breaking the law on bare lead jigs.

Biggest freshwater smelt I ever saw and measured was 141/2 inches at a Hancock County lake.

Thanks SS.
Over my way,  Messalonskee Lake  /  Snow Pond has been known to give up a few 17 to 18 inch jack smelts. Pretty impressive.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:06 PM »
I only have caught bait size smelt and the occasional jack .
My grandfather use to take me on Lake champlain in Vt. when I was a kid. We use to catch the big ones there.He made a sweet shack with a race hole down the middle. He had a line board in the middle with the lines rigged to a bunch of metal coat hangers to detect bites. It reminded me of sea smelt shacks but on fresh water.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2017, 06:10 PM »

Wouldn't a silvery nail polish or some type of paint be safer as far as legally speaking? It wouldn't take much for the foil to come off if just wrapped around the jig. Would it even be a coated jig if it's not painted or baked on?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.