Author Topic: Gull lake - yeah!  (Read 1257 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Gull lake - yeah!
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 07:27 AM »
Back in 2015 when I wasn't working for 7 months I went to both Pigeon and Gull in the boat and marked quite a few drop offs, hills, and weed lines.  I went to a new spot marked back then called PWhites - Potential Whites.

Started off slow.  Didn't seen much for the first 30 minutes.  I could just barely see halfway down when a white came in and grabbed the hook.  Short fight later it got off...
Saw, hooked and lost 2 more in about 30 minutes.  Just seemed like any other place so far. 

As 9:30 approached it was like a light turned on.  Hooked and landed my first white and it was a nice one. For the next hour and a half I hooked and lost...I'm guessing between 15-20 whites.  Crazy good action!  Lots of big ones lost at the bottom of the hole but it didn't stop me from getting my limit by 11 a.m.  And, there were still whites around.  Only 1 annoying pike was landed but I kept my lure and saw one huge walleye but otherwise the whites ruled this spot.   I haven't seen white fishing this hot since earlier years at and when the burbs are running.  Thing is, they aren't and it is mid-Jan. 

Decided to pack up though since I had my limit and headed to a different part of the lake to camera fish.  The hopes of getting pike or burbs.  Shortly in landed a medium walleye.   Then another pike that was likely legal but I put back - I was looking for that 5-8 lbs range.  Then a small perch like 7 inches. 

A couple of whites were being really aggressive to the jig and minnow turning at the last second.  After seeing this for awhile and threatening to get my white fish rod, I did.  Had a big white come in and I dropped to bottom.  The white hit it but missed.  Kept on with the white fish rod and a few minutes later it was back.  No hesitation grabbed the lure.  Hand fought another huge white up and let it go.  Went back to jig fishing.  Next, had a couple of nice burb come in and hit the jig and minnow.  It was 2 p.m.  Limited on whites and burbs, time to pack up and go.  Nice 5 species day!

Burbot on the left and whites on the right   ;D
Lemmon pepper for burbs and "Slap yo Mamma" Cajun for whites.....so good

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gull lake - yeah!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:38 PM »
sounds like such an awesome day.. congrats!!
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2017, 08:40 AM »
dang SNAP!  Looks like you had a solid day!  I need to get out more...
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline demasterangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:53 AM »

Yes awesome day , those cooked burbs looked interesting .

You are very fortunate to have real lakes .

Offline sureshot242

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Nice haul. Looks tasty. I need to get myself some whites for my smoker

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:34 PM »
     Right on that is some good action.  Seems to have been hit and miss this last little bit but you definetly hit. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.