Author Topic: Shappell 5500 Review  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Grunt162

• IceShanty Rookie
Shappell 5500 Review
« on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:17 PM »
So this is my first post on this site.  I wanted to give a review of the Shappell 5500 hub pop up shelter that I bought a few weeks ago.  I've used it three times now and this is what I have found.

It comes with 4 ice anchors and that is not enough.  I recommend at least 8.  I found that if I use just the 4 that it came with, then whatever side is facing the wind, the hub will push in if you are not using the ropes that came with the shelter.  That was my only issue (which isn't really an issue).  The second time I used it, no issues at all.  Last Thursday, my daughter and I went out to Pleasant lake.  It was pretty warm (mid 50's).  We set up the shelter only because the weather called for rain.

About three or fours into fishing, it started raining pretty good so we went inside the shelter.  While inside, we found out that hard way that all of the seams leaked like a *****. 

It is definitely not water proof and I would say not water resistant either.  I have contacted the company to see if this is normal and whether or not using scotch guard on the seams will void the warranty.  I'll let you know how their customer service is.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Shappell 5500 Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:24 AM »
thanks for joining us!

i have the 6500wh and it does the same thing. i called them and a mean old lady said too bad. i asked to talk to mark and he said use seam sealer on it.
it will still leak. just grab a small tarp and attach it to the hub pulls or to ice anchors.

for what it's worth the spray that claims to make your things water proof doesn't work either.

also the gander mountain 8 x 8 pop up also lets water in thru the seam, but it is even worse because it is insulted it holds a LOT of water and makes it very HEAVY because of it and then it very hard to dry out and get it home with draining water every where.

you should buy the gander mountain ice anchors that come in a 6 pack. those are the eskimo anchors and are the very best. use ratchet ropes or motorcycle hold down straps for the hubs. if you want even more convenience, get the eskimo ice anchor drill adapter. just switch between the auger on the drill to this unit. simple and very fast.

look into harbor freight anti fatigue mats for your feet or for your kids feet. kids boots are always junk and you don't want them to get cold feet because then they will want to go home like you would if it were your cold feet.

Offline Grunt162

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Seems that the Shappell Customer service sucks.  I emailed them about the leaking shelter and to ask about using scotchguard.  No reply at all.  Will not buy or recommend another one of their products.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Poor customer service will be the death of any manufacturer.
I guess I'm just lucky to have no problems with my Shappell DX3000. It's the suitcase type (heavier than a hub type) but the tent material should be the same stuff and seams should be done the same.
These complaints above are not necessarily problems with construction. Sounds to be your problems are just plain POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!
If the company won't back their products and don't care about fixing problems customers have, then they are taking steps to killing their business. And it sounds like running themselves out of business is the only thing they can do well ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:04 AM »
shappell and eagle merged. it may have been restructured since then. makes me want to call mark and see what's wrong.
mike took great care of my needs when i had issues. like a pole came unglued so he sent me a new one. the 1st fx100 tub was too thin, so he send me a thicker replacement tub, both were no cost to me.

there have been major improvements since the merge. such as the fx line up now has better seams for the roof and bigger seat bars and they all slide now.
the suitcase shelters never had issues that i know of. my dx3000 is a replacement to my s3000. the s3000 was a flat top and you couldn't stand straight up in it. the dx3000 is a curved top and i can stand up straight up in it. this curve also helps with leaks because it pushes the water over the sides.

so i am on my 3rd generation fx100 and my second 3000 and have my 1st wh6500. the 6500 leaks where the threads go thru the holes for the seam. seam tape would have stopped it. mike from shappell did say use a seam sealer on them. for now, a tarp would stop it, but it still condensates a lot and drips water because of that. so even when it's not snowing or raining, it will drip water on you and your things if your heating the shelter.
the water proofing spray is just a waste of money.

with eagle claw merge, they are now making insulated versions of the most popular shelters and those are the wide house 6500 and the fx200. it only adds 4 pounds more for the fx200.

like i said in my 1st post, there is a trade off. if you get an insulated shelter wet, it takes forever to dry and gets very heavy with all the water weight and drips that water until it can't anymore and then it starts drying.
 from the top down.

so i want to have both types of shelters (insulated and non insulated) because of this problem i didn't know insulated shelters have. i think just the roof being insulated would be good enough tho. i added reflectix to the roof of my fx100's and it stops the condensation problem, bounces light and saves money on heat.

when shappell makes their fx100 insulated, i will buy it too.

Shappell Corporation
3562 Jefferson Hwy.
Grand Ledge, MI 48837

MARK - OWNER (before eagle claw merge)
[email protected]

888-571-1144 - USA
517-622-2700 - Canada
517-622-1435 - Fax

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:09 AM »
i just got off the phone and had a 15 minute chat with shappell.
he answered the phone quickly and was pleasant to talk to. it isn't mark any more. i think he said his name is garrett, he had lots of information for me and some i didn't know about for some changes coming in 2018 that i am looking forward to, such as lighter shelter options and a new fabric that will be replacing the old type that will be insulated, added dog leg to the bottom bar area, ect.
they are in a contract until then to use the same factories, but are planning new and better concepts now to implement then.

i asked that they use seam tape on them and said it wouldn't cost much and he would pass that request along.

as far as warranty, he said there are plenty of products designed for tents that you may use with out affecting the warranty. he said to use wax or wax based seam sealers on your problem areas. he said paraffin wax works and so does candle wax, but candle wax is not as good.

just use the number i provided and call there. you'll be glad you did.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.