Author Topic: New to Idaho  (Read 1741 times)

Offline fish_pleaser

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Idaho
« on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:15 PM »
Hey guys.  I've been on the form before back in my home state of Indiana.  I grew up in the central part of the Hoosier state.  I live in Lewiston now.  I moved here, took a job, and did it all for the outdoors.  Anyways,  I've been ice fishing all my life, and I'm looking forward to exploring the opportunities around here.  I went to Winchester last week and caught some bluegills and crappie (and trout).  The fish were all small.  I have been doing some reading and most of the literature says that the panfish do not grow too large.  I'm hoping this is some internet jargon.  Is it rare to find a body of water in my area with 10 to 12 inch papermouths and some big gills??  I'll head into Washington to find them. 

Thanks and hope everyone is having a safe/successful season.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to Idaho
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:29 AM »
I'm an Idaho native and have also fished all of my life.  I've yet to dial in how to catch crappies through the ice.  Perhaps because I've never really tried very hard.  I think a majority of people that really target them through the ice, fish at night.  I do however, primarily fish for crappies in the spring during the spawn.  My favorite species!  Hayden lake has the largest crappies around.  Average 9+" and I've caught many over 12", and some over 16".  That lake however, doesn't freeze well for crappies.  More of a shallow water pike destination.  Otherwise, people seem to target crappies at Fernan on the far side of the lake below the rocks.  Electronics (which I don't have) would likely help find suspended schools.  I think most of the smaller lakes produce mediocre sized crappies and bluegills, 8-10" range.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:57 PM »
there's plenty of lakes with crappie and bluegill all over Idaho, but the F&G (for reasons beyond my knowledge) doesn't list species available in specific bodies of water, so finding lakes with panfish at all can be a bit of a chore. your first move should be to head to your local sporting goods store (cabelas is good, Sportsmans Warehouse tracks local fishing success based on angler reports) and ask about panfish. someone will know something, and will be more than willing to point you in the right direction. after that, it's all gonna be your own hard work and paying attention to the reports and conditions page for Idaho to find places with decent sized fish.

since you're in Lewiston, i can't help you much as far as locations. all the fishing i've done in that area has been fly fishing the rivers in summer for trout. best i can do is tell you that if you don't mind driving a couple/few hours, Spirit lake and Fernan lake near Coeur d'Alane have bluegills, and Fernan lake has crappie as well. i didn't catch anything with any real size, and can't vouch for the quality of ice up there (i'm in southeast Idaho), but i also only fished each lake for only about a day each so there really wasn't much time to try for size.

Offline DEER4DINNER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:37 AM »
There are anglers guides on the F&G website.  The PDF links to each region have a breakdown of species and available facilities at each lake.  https://idfg.idaho.gov/fishing/angler-guide-gem-state

there's plenty of lakes with crappie and bluegill all over Idaho, but the F&G (for reasons beyond my knowledge) doesn't list species available in specific bodies of water, so finding lakes with panfish at all can be a bit of a chore. your first move should be to head to your local sporting goods store (cabelas is good, Sportsmans Warehouse tracks local fishing success based on angler reports) and ask about panfish. someone will know something, and will be more than willing to point you in the right direction. after that, it's all gonna be your own hard work and paying attention to the reports and conditions page for Idaho to find places with decent sized fish.

since you're in Lewiston, i can't help you much as far as locations. all the fishing i've done in that area has been fly fishing the rivers in summer for trout. best i can do is tell you that if you don't mind driving a couple/few hours, Spirit lake and Fernan lake near Coeur d'Alane have bluegills, and Fernan lake has crappie as well. i didn't catch anything with any real size, and can't vouch for the quality of ice up there (i'm in southeast Idaho), but i also only fished each lake for only about a day each so there really wasn't much time to try for size.

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Don't know about ice but Moses lake-Pothole lakes used to have nice crappies and panfish. Try Washington fish and game. Northern Idaho has some large Trout ,Pike ,and Bass. Go north and forget the panfish.

Offline WinterWizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:55 PM »
Chatcolet has some very big crappie as well, up to 15 inchers although damn rare. Caught a lot of 11" plus. Nice perch and pike too.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2017, 01:18 AM »
There are anglers guides on the F&G website.  The PDF links to each region have a breakdown of species and available facilities at each lake.  https://idfg.idaho.gov/fishing/angler-guide-gem-state

helpful! news to me!

also unfortunately inaccurate and difficult to read without printing it. not only is it missing a significant number of species available in Idaho, but at least 4 bodies of water in the southeast region are missing species that have a healthy presence in those bodies of water. heck, they're missing an entire pond! Bannock Reservoir has been around for 2 years now!

i know i'm being a bit nit-picky, but it's kind of the responsibility of the F&G to be up-to-date on these things and keep the public informed, and they're not doing an awesome job.

Offline fish_pleaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:57 PM »
Thanks and great information guys.   Really do love the Lewiston area.  I'm finding out it is a hunter and fisherman's paradise.  I'm only asking about ice fishing panfish because that's what we did back home.  Living in IN you have a lot of natural lakes and man-made reservoirs that produce big redear, bluegill, and crappie year-round, and most importantly, I love eating them.  I have a mean baja sauce recipe for fish tacos!

Anyways, I think I'm on the verge of checking out some Washington Lakes for panfish including perch and maybe some walleyes as well.  There is a ton of land to explore.  Thanks for the information again.  I'll take all the information I can get.  I'll keep y'all posted as to how it ends up. 

Offline Smellsfishy!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2017, 10:59 AM »
https://idfg.idaho.gov/fish/ice-fishing

Good to good places to fish and click the link it will show you the type of fish in what lake. ;)

Offline Bonaro70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2017, 03:36 PM »
Hey fish pleaser.  Welcome to Idaho.  I am originally for SW MI and have been up here in North Idaho for 18 years.  Lots to do year round but ice fishing can be hit or miss.  This year we have great ice. If you wonder up north of CDA, I can show you a few good perch and sunfish lakes.  You had better put Cascade Lake on your bucket list as it is in its golden days right now if you want to land a perch over 2 lbs.  I  am heading down at the end of the month to try for one.  I have never been there but figure I can watch and learn and have a chance at some jumbos.  always room for another to tag along come if you want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.