The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Easy access southern maine waters anything helps?  (Read 1974 times)

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Easy access southern maine waters anything helps?
« on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:14 PM »
It's a very long story and a very long shot. Which is over 3 months in the making but I need to accomplish this. I need a lake/pond/mud puddle as close to standish as possible. Sebago is a no go which sucks monkeyballs cause he loves him some togue fishing. But I need almost wheelchair access to a lake. Oct 6th my "little brother" and fishing buddy was in a bad bad work accident and ended up loosing a leg. And the other one isn't in the clear just yet. He spent 2 months or so in Lewiston patching him up enough for physical therapy and then the remainder up till a week or so ago in Massachusetts for said physical therapy. He is now in standish and being able to go fishing would be a big boost that I beleive and he will never admit would mean a lot. Anything pm me. Pickeral and perch, he'd love to catch tank scrubbers. I know someone knows something and thanks in advance for any help
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Easy access southern maine waters anything helps?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:08 PM »
Lunka, That is a bummer on there injuries! A place that is close to Standish is Horne pond in Limington.There is Browns,Brookies, perch and pickerel.If you take them there make sure you use smelt. It is not fast action but you can drive up to the boat launch and set up not far from there and get fish.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Lunka, That is a bummer on there injuries! A place that is close to Standish is Horne pond in Limington.There is Browns,Brookies, perch and pickerel.If you take them there make sure you use smelt. It is not fast action but you can drive up to the boat launch and set up not far from there and get fish.
Perfect. I've gotta travel from newport/pittsfield area down. And it doesn't really give me a chance to scout. Just want to put him on a few flags and a couple hours of fishing. Thanks alot for the info I'll do some homework.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:17 PM »
PM sent

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Lunka,
     Sorry about your brother.

My comment isn't about taking him fishing, though. Last week my wife and I went to Sunday River ski area to visit the lodge of Maine Adaptive Skiing. We'll never forget it. There were many folks with various disabilities being safely brought down the mountain on "sit skiis" that are tethered to a trained guide. We even met some guides with Maine Adaptive who have no legs and other handicaps. They all love skiing safely. None of this costs any money to the   participant.

Here's some contact info: Good luck!

Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation
8 Sundance Lane
Newry, Maine 04261

PHONE

(207) 824-2440
(800) 639-7770 Toll free
(207) 824-0453 Fax

EMAIL

[email protected]

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Lunka,
     Sorry about your brother.

My comment isn't about taking him fishing, though. Last week my wife and I went to Sunday River ski area to visit the lodge of Maine Adaptive Skiing. We'll never forget it. There were many folks with various disabilities being safely brought down the mountain on "sit skiis" that are tethered to a trained guide. We even met some guides with Maine Adaptive who have no legs and other handicaps. They all love skiing safely. None of this costs any money to the   participant.

Here's some contact info: Good luck!

Maine Adaptive Sports & Recreation
8 Sundance Lane
Newry, Maine 04261

PHONE

(207) 824-2440
(800) 639-7770 Toll free
(207) 824-0453 Fax

EMAIL

[email protected]

That's extremely helpful. I'll relay the message to his sister. She has been looking for stuff like this and I'm unsure if she knows about this or not. He needs something to do that isn't sitting at home by himself

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Maine Adaptive also has programs where they take folks like your brother sea kayaking in the summer in Casco Bay and other places.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:27 PM »
When I worked as a lift operator I had a lot of interaction with Maine Adaptive Sports. I didn't see many unhappy faces in that group. Depending on their disabilities and natural athletic abilities some skiers never progressed beyond the beginner slopes and others could go down some of the black diamond trails. Their coaches work hard to make sure everyone has a good time. They try to find the balance between helping someone reach his full potential and pushing too hard. Some of the skiers need total support and others are almost on their own with a coach tagging along in case something goes wrong. Every skier on a sit ski says the most difficult part is getting on the chairlift. Sunday River isn't the only place they bring people skiing. They will travel to other ski areas so somone can ski closer to home.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Lunka, Hermon is pretty easy access and the boys on here are a pretty good group with shacks and a plowed road. Guess you want more southern than here.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:17 PM »
My computer crashed mid-message. In Standish, easy access would be Watchic Lake at the Kiwanas beach access, I think they leave the gate open, and its close to the road, usually plowed, and near bait at the store next door. You could also hit Sand Pond in Baldwin, about 10 miles further, beach access and right next to the road.

Offline Fly an Ice 75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Crescent in Raymond ( the landing is on 85) is pretty easy.

That being said I haven't had much luck there....

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Lunka, Hermon is pretty easy access and the boys on here are a pretty good group with shacks and a plowed road. Guess you want more southern than here.
He is living in standish. And his house is outfit to deal with his day to day needs better than my house. So it's easier to just take all the equipment and go to him. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Crescent in Raymond ( the landing is on 85) is pretty easy.  I caught a lot of bass near the launch . To get out to where the w perch hang out is another 1/2 mile north in the narrow part of the lake or close to the depth change.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Try highland lake in Windham. Easy access but got to walk out to the maine lake cuz the cove is super shallow

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Sand Pond in Baldwin.  Donut Hole on Lake Arrowhead (PM me).  Lil Ossipee Lake in Waterboro.  Crystal Lake in Gray.  All easy access

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Watchic in Standish is pretty good, its 5 minutes from my house. Checked it this afternoon and you can drive right to the ice. Lots of white perch, pickerel large and small mouth bass as well. Sinnian can put you on the fish in the donut hole. The ice is awesome just make sure you have ice creepers on your boots.
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:56 PM »
I really appreciate all this help guys. I'm hoping to make the trip probably first of February. Then I can do my togue trips after I get him out

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Sand Pond in Limington is closed to ice fishing, dont get a ticket.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:28 PM »
I'm gonna do my home work on the laws and such. Just needed places to start

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Sand Pond in Limington.  Donut Hole on Lake Arrowhead (PM me).  Lil Ossipee Lake in Waterboro.  Crystal Lake in Gray.  All easy access

Jeff, I hope you mean Sand Pond in Baldwin!!!!  Sand Pond in Limington,,, would piss that poor fisherman off, seeing it is closed to ice fishing

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2017, 10:56 AM »
he meant baldwin, i know where he is talking, definatley easy access, but usually fishes out quick

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:08 AM »

Jeff, I hope you mean Sand Pond in Baldwin!!!!  Sand Pond in Limington,,, would piss that poor fisherman off, seeing it is closed to ice fishing

Sorry, yes Baldwin

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:55 PM »
PM sent

Offline noahthefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2017, 02:26 PM »
Try middle range pond. It is only about 40min from Standish and has very easy access.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Welp after everyone's confidential information has been run through the Clinton campaign. We have decided on a date and a location. Feb. 4th can't come soon enough. And if you want to come out. It's gonna be easy access. Lol Unless the snow builds up again. And a shout out to proudmainah for the wicked deal on the sled and flip over which is gonna be his ride and sleeping shack incase the excitement is too much. Once again thank you everyone that pm or posted. Really greatly appreciated

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:06 AM »
What's the ice look like down there guys? I know it's gonna be colder the rest of the week. Just wondering what it had to start with. Gonna be right in the standish windham area

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:59 AM »
best ice conditions in the state aside from sebago, most places have at least 8 inch

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:19 PM »
best ice conditions in the state aside from sebago, most places have at least 8 inch
Awesome. Saturday is supposed to be colder but other than  that should be a good day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.