The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: All salmon state wide over 25" must be released?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
All salmon state wide over 25" must be released?
« on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:51 PM »
In the past there were 5 lakes that a fisherman could keep salmon over 25". But the way I interpret the new law book we can not keep a salmon over 25" anywhere in the state!
Am I missing something here? I could not find in the law book where there are any lakes exempt
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline FlagChasr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: All salmon state wide over 25" must be released?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Wouldn't make any sense. So the Long Lake Derby winner would have to pay a fine out of his/her winnings?
 ???

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:58 PM »
I think they did counties Scalloper. It used to be just about all 16 expect for 2-3. Atleast that what I remember. Seemed like they were all sea run rivers also in the county
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline noahthefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:09 PM »
If look in the 2017 law book you cant keep salmon caught in rivers,brooks or streams over 25". There isnt a maximum in ponds or lakes for salmon or browns.

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:59 PM »
If look in the 2017 law book you cant keep salmon caught in rivers,brooks or streams over 25". There isnt a maximum in ponds or lakes for salmon or browns.

Can't keep salmon/browns over 25" caught in rivers &a streams in Hancock &Washington Counties. Any salmon/ browns caught in lakes or ponds anywhere in the State  are good to get mounted is how I understood the law book.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:23 PM »
Here's my take on this, based on spending about 20 minutes in the Law/Regulation booklet.

1. It looks like no salmon over 25" may be taken in any brook, river, or stream.
2. Look up the name of any lake or pond you wish to fish. If it shows an S-33 regulation exists on that body of water, then you can't take a salmon over 25" there. All other lakes and ponds appear to allow you to take a salmon over 25". The type of lake where there may be an S-33 is a lake within an Atlantic salmon run of some magnitude. Examples in eastern Maine are Beddington Lake in the Narraguagus watershed, all of the Machias Lakes (1st through 5th), Old Stream Lakes, 1st - 3d Chain Lakes in the Machias watershed, Hadley Lake, Second Hadley Lake, Round Lake, Crawford Lake in the East Machias watershed. 

This is not a complete and perfect list, but is intended to try to clarify the matters. Please remember I don't work for IFW any more  -- retired 6 years ago, so was not involved in this lawbook.

Salty

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:51 PM »
You nailed it Rick.
Just to add a little to this discussion, the reason for any water to have an S-33 reg in the first place was to protect any salmon over 25 inches because it just might be an Atlantic Salmon.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:35 AM »
Thanks. I will reread the book. The new book is written totally different then past books where lakes were listed by counties.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline tilted

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Salty go it right as usual. I got a camp on Beddington Lake and once in awhile someone would pull a salmon thru the ice.   Either last year or the year before a kid pulled an AS thru the ice on Hadley Lake. He put up a post on Facebook and got a visit from the wardens
Burn Baby Burn!!!!

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Salty go it right as usual. I got a camp on Beddington Lake and once in awhile someone would pull a salmon thru the ice.   Either last year or the year before a kid pulled an AS thru the ice on Hadley Lake. He put up a post on Facebook and got a visit from the wardens
Funny story a couple years back. I was hunting my favorite area and came across a "flowage" that had probably a dozen Atlantic salmon swimming in it. Don't know how many of them made it. They were quite the attraction to the locals
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Your suppose to catch fish when you ice fishing? I thought it was a drinking sport for some and a way for some to take their aggression out on the ice by drilling holes.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.