Author Topic: Went thru the ice yesterday  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Cal64

• IceShanty Rookie
Went thru the ice yesterday
« on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Well, it finally happened to me, been fishing hard water almost my entire life, I'm as safety conscious as they come. Out yesterday fishing 20" of good ice. Moved to a new spot that I had never fished- two tents already out there, so followed there tracks. Left spud bar, life jacket, throw rope in the truck, there's 20 inches of ice, I won't need this stuff. Fished for a while ( still 20" of ice ). On my way back to the truck I left the track by 5 feet and boom! Before it could register in my brain, my butt was on the ice. One leg went thru. Was able to roll out and back to trail. I warned the others, then got off the ice. Had picks around me neck, but spud bar would have prevented the whole thing, life jacket would have saved me if it had been any worse. I don't post much on here,but I thought I'd share this in the hopes that mabey someone will read it and take there safety gear, even when there sure they won't need it. Stay safe

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Went thru the ice yesterday
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Glad you are okay. Never take ice thickness for granted.  :o
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Its like my dad always used to tell me...id say theres 3 feet of ice...his reply was always "in places!" Lakes never freeze uniform..especially large ones.a fact that gets some ppl in trouble..glad to hear u came out of it ok ...sadly some ppl arent so lucky...ivr beem lucky more times tjan i prbly shpuld have....now that im a little older i am more careful in areas ive never been before...ive beem thru th3 ice enough times to stop pushing my luck lol
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Thanks, This is a good reminder for everyone.  Safety First
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Glad you're ok, thank's for the reminder to be cautious and prepared. Even the thought of it scares the poo-poo out of me!
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Glad you're ok, thank's for the reminder to be cautious and prepared. Even the thought of it scares the poo-poo out of me!
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Cal, did you figure out why there was thin ice in an area of 20" ice?  That's a spooky story.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:28 AM »
I also learned a valuable lesson about 4 winters ago.  I went through in 25' of water, and was within a minute of dying.  I had 2 fishermen rescue me, then spent the afternoon with the DNR, Sheriff and ambulance.

I had been on the ice for well over 30 years at the time of the accident.  It can happen...

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Wow! Any idea why the discrepancy in ice thickness???   

Paul

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:31 AM »
spooky stuff!
glad your okay!
makes you wonder why it happened doesn't it?

sounds some thing like what happened to me. i was testing ice and drilled a hole and stuck my hand down the hole it was a handful. that meant at least 5". i stepped off to the side of that hole and one leg wen thru and i went down to my other knee. this was all with in 3 feet and in water less than 5 feet and in front of a boat ramp.
i go t off the ice because that made no sense. we have been fishing less than 6 inches all of this season and most of the time it's only been 4".

the buddy system and rope and permanent ice slip protection that is comfortable enough to always be on your boots and a seat cushion to throw and a float suit and knowing how to get is key, always.
a note left on the fridge is good practice or letting others know where you'll be and for how long is a good back up system.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=336809.msg3579546#msg3579546

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:46 AM »
I have seen situations in Indiana [never on 20"] when there is still open water on main lakes..wind blows hard and current travels under ice and eats it away..somewhere much nearer to shore. Also have seen same thing when ice is good...warms up and rains and warm current eats ice from underneath a long way from feeder creeks. That's a bad deal.
These are both hypothesis...but I believe them...lol.

Paul 

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:56 AM »
That is actually what happened in my situation.  A point on this lake had some current apparently, and never froze uniformly with the surrounding ice.

I have seen situations in Indiana [never on 20"] when there is still open water on main lakes..wind blows hard and current travels under ice and eats it away..somewhere much nearer to shore. Also have seen same thing when ice is good...warms up and rains and warm current eats ice from underneath a long way from feeder creeks. That's a bad deal.
These are both hypothesis...but I believe them...lol.

Paul

Offline fischerone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Ice thickness always variable on reservoirs where I fish.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:08 AM »
OP:  glad you are ok!   :)

Offline Cal64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:25 AM »
When your in the water the reasons seem irrelevant, but here are my theories. The lake I fish is known to be extreamly dangerous. It is a reservoir, so changing water levels ( up to 20 feet from start to end of season) make the best ice unpredictable. Lake releases methane from underground coal seems and bubbles form under ice and weaken it. As lake depth changes intake creeks enter main body at different points eating away at underside of ice. Extreme winds shift ice, causing cracks. Over confidence!, because I grew up fishing this lake, and I saw others out there, and there was 20 inches of Ice, I left most of my safety gear in the truck. It was a combination of all of these factors, or mabey something totally different. Whatever the reSon, if your looking for me out there, I'll be the guy in the life jacket. Please take your safety gear with you! Stay safe, and dry.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2017, 10:27 AM »
I had a similar occurrence last year, but was wearing a float suit (it worked).  We need warm clothes while ice fishing/snowmobiling anyway, spend a little more and get a suit that could save your life.

Offline Fishalittle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Glad your OK!!!

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2017, 01:13 PM »
glad you are okay
retired let the fishing begin

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:50 PM »
glad your ok
what is and what should never be

Offline Fishing Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:20 PM »
Sure glad your all right, I bet the others were thankful that you gave them a heads up.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:28 AM »
That's scary.  Glad you're OK.  Like others have said always think SAFETY and be prepared.

Offline Pennell07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:36 AM »
That's some scary stuff and a real eye opener. I never would have thought there'd be thin ice next to 20 inches!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2017, 12:00 PM »
That's some scary stuff and a real eye opener. I never would have thought there'd be thin ice next to 20 inches!
Underwater springs in some lakes can do that!! Spud, spud spud!!!!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I was on a lake here in Michigan yesterday. Big lake with a bend in it. Solid 6-7" of clear ice everywhere. No snow on it, amazing view to look for weed beds and all. There was a heave crack at the bend. Drove my quad over that way, wanting to go to the other side of the crack. I stopped about 20 yards short of the crack, took my auger. The ice looked like it was about 3", but the auger revealed that the thickness was actually closer to 7". I was still nervous, but approached, drilling as I went - i hadn't brought my spud. The last hole I drilled was 3 feet from the crack. Still 7". I could see the ice chunks, how the plates had crushed each other and dove down (and up!).

Pure liquid water about 2 feet across. If I had a snowmobile, and moved quick, I might jump it, but I have never done that. Call me chicken, but I wasn't about to try with a quad.

Interesting how these things work. Watch yourselves out there.

Be safe!

Dave

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:42 PM »
So sorry but so happy you chose to share, Spud ,Spikes ,and Float suit and  always caution ,, I am looking forward to the deep water in a couple of weeks, thanks for the reminder..

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:07 AM »

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Scary story,just happy it ended well   :-X

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Glad your okay. Thanks for sharing your story. Sure makes me think twice about "safe ice" conditions.
I will be much more careful after reading your post. Can't take anything for granite. 

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:04 PM »
If there was 20 inches of ice and one leg went through, I would assume you stepped into a old fishing hole......maybe not. Good way to tear up a leg. Glad to hear your fine.....fish on!

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2017, 10:03 PM »
Good reminder we have warm temps makes me nervous

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.