Author Topic: Shermans Pt. BOQ  (Read 1597 times)

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
Shermans Pt. BOQ
« on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Anyone know how much ice there was at shermans pt area before the warm weather and if any of it survived this week? Was really hoping to fish there. If any of you guys have been there recently I would love to hear what the conditions were. I will be going with a spud and a buddy, probably on sunday regardless to find out.. but if its open water or something would be nice to know.

thanks in adavance for any info, PM me if you prefer not to post conditions.

cheers!

Offline Grizzly Grub

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shermans Pt. BOQ
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:49 PM »
I've noticed other people have asked the same recently, but people seem to be tight lipped about the conditions on BoQ... I wish I could help you out fishO, unfortunately I live in Smiths Falls so I can't see Quinte from here, best bet is to call local bait shops, CT fishing dept, etc, they'll give you the 'word on the street'.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:50 AM »
I'm not sure CT is going to know ice conditions lol. Dew Drop Inn is the local bait shop who are good about providing updates.

I fished Shermans, straight out from the launch in 26' of water last Saturday. There was 5" of ice. Nobody was at the actual point of where Shermans heads towards Huffs as rumor was it was unsafe. There was a pressure crack down that way & the usual one by the launch itself. Hope this helps.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:34 AM »
thanks guys..
Grizz, I don't know about your CT but I would not trust the guys working at the one here in Kingston to tell me much.. But yes your suggestion of the talking to a bait shop is a good one and I will probably try that. I figured people would be tight lipped, probably because they don't want to tell someone its safe and have the conditions change. Which is why is I said PM me if you would rather. Quinte is a tricky spot to judge the ice I get that..

Wingthing, I also walk out from the launch so your info is much appreciated. I usually walk quite far as there is a certain spot I like to fish. From what you said it sounds like it might be sketchy, but I am not going until tomorrow so hopefully that's enough time to add some ice.

if anyone else is out in the Shermans area or anywhere else near by today would really appreciate hearing how it was  ;D
cheers guys! hopefully this season gets colder!  :tipup:

Offline Grizzly Grub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Guess we're just lucky in Smiths Falls, we have good 'ol Al at our CT, and he'll tell you anything and everything you need to know about fishing our local area with a smile.  It's a good point about people being tight lipped in case conditions change and not be safe....I'm a bit of a cynic though, and was thinking keeping that knowledge on the down low is more in the interest of the locals trying to keep the area to themselves, keeps the hoards from invading the area :-P
Myself and a couple friends are heading to Sherman's tomorrow as well, we do only the one annual Quinte trip, so fingers crossed conditions will be decent, will bring all the required safety equipment.
We will have 2 Eskimo pop up's and one Rapala flip up, feel free to drop by and say "hey, guys, look at this monster walleye!!"

Good luck!

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2017, 04:25 AM »
If you fellows wouldn't mind posting or PM the thickness of ice you find up there it would be much appreciated. I may run up Monday.

Offline Grizzly Grub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Sitting on top of a solid 6" of clear black at Sherman's this morning. It's 6:50am and there's already about a dozen guys out here. Take note that there is a solid warming trend starting tomorrow (Monday Jan 16, 2017) that being said I'd be careful and take proper precautions if you were  to head out later in the week.

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2017, 03:25 PM »
I was on about 5 inches of clear ice where I was fishing, but I found a couple spots where it was thin and my spud went right through after only a couple good whacks.. walked out to about 29fow and set up there. The ice was making lots of snap/crackle and pop noises, couple of the pops were so loud I thought the ice was about to open up under me  :o. Lots of perch too but no walleye today. 

Offline Grizzly Grub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Same on our end...nothing but a handful of small perch. Talked with a few people on the way out, seemed to be the story all around. Stopped by Huff's as well, about a dozen guys were hitting it up. No idea on ice thickness or fish action in that area, didn't bother walking out to chat with anyone.

Once that sun came out and started heating things up around 10am the ice was talking like no bodies business, it was pretty intense.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Thanks fellows heading up tomorrow for a fish!

Offline elijah.adair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Hey guys any updates on the ice out there? Never fished sherman's but looking to try! Need me a chance at some walleyes

Kingston K

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:33 PM »
Hay bay was sketchy as of Sunday (3"- 5" of very soft ice), so I suspect that Sherman's is even worse. A few nights this week should harden it up. Might be good by the weekend. This is just a best guess.

Kingston K

« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Does anybody know what the ice conditions are now @ Sherman's or Thompson's points? We've had a few "colder" nights now. I'm coming back on the weekend and just don't want to waste a drive out if it's still sketchy.

Thanks!

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Hey K don't think the nights have been that cold. I got PM from a guy that lives up from another site Huffs is unsafe & open for the most part, Shermans is sketchy. Some people are fishing Perfect Vu & The Church but also thin in spots there. A buddy fished Wagers Farm & said about 5-6" of ice with water on top. Again this is all 2nd hand but I believe buddy.

Kingston K

« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:09 AM »
Thanks. That certainly saved me from wasting a 40 min drive on Saturday morning.....I'll head North for splake instead.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.