Author Topic: Mora Hand Auger  (Read 885 times)

Offline fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
Mora Hand Auger
« on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:34 PM »
Does anyone have anything to say about the 6 inch hand auger by Mora? Good or bad! Should this last me a few years?

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
Re: Mora Hand Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Used one for years, until the lazers came out. Treat it with respect, and keep sharp blades on it, and you'll have no problem..! Don't try to open old holes.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:58 PM »
If you're going to use the savings in buying a Mora in lieu of a Lazer to buy electronics then go for it,  otherwise buy a Lazer.

Offline hardwater37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:25 PM »
I've used a Mora since I started ice fishing as a kid (my dad gave it to me). I'm 38 now and just bought my first Lazer because I've seen older fellers drilling holes twice as fast as me! I haven't been able to use it yet due to work and ice conditions but I know I'll love it.
Fish all year and enjoy life at its finest!

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Treat it good and it will last you a while, dont drop it down on ice dont slam it down to start a hole and dont go back n forth twenty times after you cut a hole to get the chips out and you should be happy with it for a good while

Offline hardwater37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Thanks. I'll never understand why some people slam their auger on the ice before drilling. I just gently put my blades on the ice and start drilling and when I get through I run it up and down a couple times and get the shavings out with my scoop.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:50 PM »
I've used a 6" Mora since 1991. Got one with sharp blades and it should be fine. Drilling through 2" to 8" that I normally have around me..is a piece of cake. I keep multiple blades in stock and have 3 augers..lol. 
I will say this..there is night and day difference between sharp blades and not so sharp blades.

Paul

Offline hardwater37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:08 PM »
The blade design is way different on the lazer. The Mora will definitely cut a hole as I have used one for 25 yrs. Even with bran new blades the lazer is alot faster and easier. I borrowed one from a guy on the ice last year a was amazed. Just my 2 cents.

Offline hardwater37

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:09 PM »
The blade design is way different on the lazer. The Mora will definitely cut a hole as I have used one for 25 yrs. Even with bran new blades the lazer is alot faster and easier. I borrowed one from a guy on the ice last year a was amazed. Just my 2 cents.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I've had my 6" mora for over 30 years, Still works fine.   Use it til the ice get over 6" thick, then I switch to my gas powered.    You can purchase a good drill and turn a mora into a power auger  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jr11888

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:53 AM »
I used a hatchet to chop a hole when I first started ice fishing around the early 70's pretty wet experience but bought a spoon auger. Used it a couple years then bought a mora auger and still use it today. Don't drop it on the ice or red r I'll existing holes and it's lasted a long time. I think I bought new 6" blades one time.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:37 AM »
On a side note...I have watched people...every year, including this one. Come out on literally 4" of ice and start drilling...and drilling...and stop to rest and drill some more..before ever getting through 4' of ice. My gosh! what the heck are they using?? This year if they hadn't been so far away I was going to investigate,,,but too far away.

Paul

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2017, 11:31 AM »
See if you can find one like this in a 6 inch and put the laser adaptor they sell on ebay on it.. be warned you got to customize the adaptor.. so the screws don't rip out of the aluminum threads it has you got to use s drill press to recess pocket the new bolt heads.. but this will give you a off set handle on a mora then convert it to laser which it cuts like a nils .. at that point this one is a 8 inch they don't make a adaptor for.. to convet it to laser blades..  see if you can locate a 6 inch or 7 inch... if you plan on powering the mora with a drill don't get this type they don't make a adaptor for it yet!! If just using it by hand a 6 inch mora's hard to beat with the off set handle and a laser conversion later on!!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222376957164

Offline fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I got out today and used it and it cut very well compared to my last one. You all are really making me think about buying a Nills or Lazer this summer and using the Mora as a backup.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:02 PM »
I got a nis I would rather a finbore 3 or a off set handle mora cause the blade are cheaper and easier to get sharpened.. depending on location the nils could be $20 to $40 to ship and sharpen from what I am hearing were locally I can have my laser blades done for around $7.50.. I got three heads for mine and only sharpen them every few years they don't need it that often btw mines a 8 inch and the head for it is $99.99 plus tax or shipping or bolth.  And they can be very finicky hit a little dirt in the ice and blade needs sharpening but they do cut awesome better then most power augers and that's by hand have cut 18+inches of ice with it and 50 holes posible but needed no.. by hand 50 holes  throw a good drill on it becomes that much easier..  any how just some points aboUT the nils don't get it wrong they are great augers..  I would take nils over a power gas auger any day the fuel smell... smoke .. etc..  fish can smell it.. that's why I prefer the hand auger.. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.