Author Topic: Marcum owners lets be honest  (Read 2802 times)

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Marcum owners lets be honest
« on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Now that the season is in full swing. How many of you LX6 &LX7 owners can say the new software update made their unit that much better? I'm still holding off to see if its worth it.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum owners lets be honest
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:24 AM »
I can't answer the question just yet. I updated my LX6 yesterday, and am going fishing tomorrow. Hope I notice some improvement!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:13 AM »
The update file always has the same name (LX-7MAIN.bin), but when I download I make a copy which includes the version number (i.e., LX-7MAIN(510).bin) so I can go back to any version by copying whichever version I choose to the LX-7MAIN.bin name.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Update seemed useless, so I didn't bother with it.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:53 PM »
i also haven't done it to my LX 7.  Seems like no one has been "wowed" by it from what I've read.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:53 PM »
I have noticed a huge improvement in fine tuning the sensitivity. Maybe other guys are not as picky about the size of the return their bait is making. Also nice that I can finally mark in the 3 feet of water right below the ice.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:30 PM »
I have noticed a huge improvement in fine tuning the sensitivity. Maybe other guys are not as picky about the size of the return their bait is making. Also nice that I can finally mark in the 3 feet of water right below the ice.

I haven't updated mine yet, but if this truly helps I would say its worth it. The only Issue I have with my LX6 is the shallow water performance (less than 4ft) but thats not a major issue for me

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2017, 06:38 PM »
if you don't have the file that's in your unit, i have it if you want a copy. that way you can try the new version and go back if you don't care for it.
from what i read here about the same thing, every one likes the tweaks on the return gain. that's what it was about.
if you want a copy of the old firmware pm me your email and i'll shoot you a copy of it.

there is nothing to be afraid about tho.
some have done a partial update or not knowing it didn't get done correctly. this sounds like a software issue because they didn't add crc checking into the software to check the bin before installing it and after it's supposed to be complete. so a few have had to reflash the bin. if you use a download manager to insure your file is complete, you will be fine.

they spend a lot of money on these updates for us.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:37 PM »
if you don't have the file that's in your unit, i have it if you want a copy. that way you can try the new version and go back if you don't care for it.
from what i read here about the same thing, every one likes the tweaks on the return gain. that's what it was about.
if you want a copy of the old firmware pm me your email and i'll shoot you a copy of it.

there is nothing to be afraid about tho.
some have done a partial update or not knowing it didn't get done correctly. this sounds like a software issue because they didn't add crc checking into the software to check the bin before installing it and after it's supposed to be complete. so a few have had to reflash the bin. if you use a download manager to insure your file is complete, you will be fine.

they spend a lot of money on these updates for us.

Thanks that's nice of you to offer!

I actually borrow my unit from a friend who doesn't get much time to ice fish. He is nervous that if the update goes badly it could compromise his out of warrantee unit. Anyone have anything like this happen from an update?

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I updated two out of warranty units with no regrets. I think it was worth it, gain return is improved with finer adjustments and can see a small ice jig at 2.5 feet.

gman51

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:10 AM »
very happy with the new version (tweaks) they have done with the sensitivity/ gain curve. the 5' missing dead space below the transducer never bothered me, less room for clutter build up and i don't fish in that water column anyway. have always seen an improvement with each new version they put out to improve the quality. i bought this unit because of the free firmware updates that allows the unit to be able to expand its capabilities. 

Offline belowavgfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:08 AM »
I was happy with it. I prefer as small a mark as my eyes will let me see for my lure and it helped with that immensely. It was a razor thin line when I fine tuned correctly. The target separation is very good so that's why I prefer the small, sharp mark. I also fished in 6-8 feet of water more this year with no problems.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:43 PM »
Update seemed useless, so I didn't bother with it.

Well, turns out I was wrong. I did the update and after a half dozen trips to the ice I like the update. You can achieve a finer tune, with the updated gain settings.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Man I gotta stop beng lazy and do the update

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.