Author Topic: New auger by clam.  (Read 3475 times)

Offline ticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
New auger by clam.
« on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:26 PM »
.  New clam auger plate. Can't wait to use it.

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: New auger by clam.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:44 PM »
Those look awe sum I wish I would of seen or heard of them before I bought my jiffy propane but was concerned about cost of buying batteries considering how many hole I drill per outing and how long they would last me before having to buy new sets and the cost verses just 3.00 for propane per 60 to 70 hole per tank depending on thickness of ice

Offline ticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:48 PM »
I get around 50 holes per battery through 8 inches of ice with that drill. It works great.

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:53 PM »
What size auger

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:57 PM »
Should get around 600" of ice drilled on a 4 ah battery, with 6" lazer, Milwaukee drill!  No hand warmers needed with this set up!!

Offline HuntinandFishing365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I get around 50 holes per battery through 8 inches of ice with that drill. It works great.

Same here. I always take off my battery after drilling and put it away in my bag with a hand warmer. Seems like the colder they get the faster they die.  I will carry two extra batteries with me as well which will usually last all day. If not i always have the handle to put back on.

Offline ticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:22 PM »
6 inch lazer. I use the 4 ah batteries and have a few 5ah. I also take two extra with me. I haven't had to put my handle on yet but it's always there in case.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:38 PM »
You guys must drill a lot of holes, or the batteries don't last long. I have never used one battery up.

Offline Outlaw46341

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:38 PM »
Did they change the design? My clam  drill plate required me to remove the chuck from my drill. Yours looks like it's still there.
I HUNT I FISH I EAT

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:41 PM »
The new plates u do not remove the chuck

Offline ticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:51 PM »
I do drill a lot of holes. Sometimes to many. The new plates allow the drill to stay intact. Easy on and off. I usually only need one battery but have had to put on a second. Depends on temp and ice thickness. The 3rd battery is backup. Just want to make sure that I don't have to put the handle back on and go old school.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:11 PM »
I have a Milwaukee on mine with a 7" mora and with the ice we've had so far I've been getting 80+ holes on 1 5ah battery. I don't take it off the drill either and haven't had any problems with the cold on the battery. I think the lithium batteries these days are pretty cold weather friendly. I would assume the dewalt ones are about the same but I don't know that for a fact. Congrats on that rig you're gunna love it

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:21 PM »
I do drill a lot of holes. Sometimes to many. The new plates allow the drill to stay intact. Easy on and off. I usually only need one battery but have had to put on a second. Depends on temp and ice thickness. The 3rd battery is backup. Just want to make sure that I don't have to put the handle back on and go old school.
.          Could have solved that problem with a different drill, bite the bullet once, and don't have to take a hardware store on the ice with you. All drills will work some just better than others!

Offline goathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:01 AM »
I have the Dewalt drill also, what setting are you guys using. Supposed to be high torque, low speed according to the adapter instructions. but the drill says to use the hammer drill setting for holes. so I have mine set at one with the speed on hammer drill.  this seems to work well, how about you guys?   Manny

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Do not use the Hammer Drill setting!!!!! Low drill setting is what you want to use! Hammer setting will "bang" over your cutting edge or worse...

I use a Rigid with the Life Time Warranty, not as powerful as a Milwaukee, but more than enough to do the job and I only have to buy it once and that includes the batteries that came with it...

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:22 AM »
I have the Dewalt drill also, what setting are you guys using. Supposed to be high torque, low speed according to the adapter instructions. but the drill says to use the hammer drill setting for holes. so I have mine set at one with the speed on hammer drill.  this seems to work well, how about you guys?   Manny

From what I have seen on the internet you should always use drill mode with the drill speed set to one. That is what I run and I dont seem to have any problems.

if not you end up with the situation in the picture below. This is what happens when you don't pay attention and force the auger and drill to do more work than it should.

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:44 AM »
I have the previous version of the Clam plate and have loved its performance.  These plates are worth every penny! The updated version you have and now the ones that have the gearbox would be the way to go if a battery drill setup is what you are wanting to going with. 
I bought the Clam plate and Clam auger combo.  (The auger I had at the time was a cheap Eskimo, I had gift cards and free shipping, so I thought why not try it).  I'm not a brand pusher but will share when a product/tool/gear has impressed me.  The Clam auger I have is a 6" cut and has exceeded my expectations for ease and quickness when cutting.  I know there are some great augers out there, and guys are going to be partial to what they have...I'm not saying this is the best auger on the market...I am saying that I think it is a good one, and has worked great.

JT
Take a kid fishing!

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:01 AM »
love mine running it with the 6" clam auger it came with. Running a milwaukee M18 hammer not the fuel with one of the 9ah batteries. have yet to burn the whole battery in a day hole hoppin. always keep one of my 5ah batteries just in case.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I don't see the need to spend an additional 80-100 bucks on a clam plate when these drills come what a side handle.  In 3 years of using mine, I can count on one hand the number of times where the auger has 'bound up' in the ice and torqued the drill where without the handle your wrist would be hurting.  It just seems like added cost, added weight, and more bulk that is not really needed.  Also heard several cases of welds breaking on the plates.

Offline A- BOMBS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:04 AM »
whats the weight of the set up ( ballpark) with an 8" business end?
sorry found it on the clam site. 14 pounds for the plate and auger
19-20 pounds with Milwaukee fuel drill as tested. a couple batteries a few extra pounds.  so say 24# ish...that sound reasonable?

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:11 PM »
I don't see the need to spend an additional 80-100 bucks on a clam plate when these drills come what a side handle.  In 3 years of using mine, TyI can count on one hand the number of times where the auger has 'bound up' in the ice and torqued the drill where without the handle your wrist would be hurting.  It just seems like added cost, added weight, and more bulk that is not really needed.  Also heard several cases of welds breaking on the plates.
I agree but those handles don't last being cast aluminum. But the fuel is usually easy on the wrist with sharp blafes.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:30 PM »
I agree but those handles don't last being cast aluminum. But the fuel is usually easy on the wrist with sharp blafes.

My handles has lasted 3 years and still going strong.  If put on properly and seated correctly it would take a heck of a lot of force to snap it off.  A new handle has to be cheaper than the clam plate.

Offline A- BOMBS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:46 PM »
im curious on this subject but the weight  thing is whats holding me back as the stx gas unit I have weighs in 23# ( I know data sheet says 28 but on the UPS scale it says 23# at work ) with a 7" cutter.
I guess I was hoping to find a drill/cutter combo in that 12# range.
any ideas on what just a drill and cutter unit weighs?  I do love the stealth STX and gas but for about the same weight im not really gaining anything but a new drill. just need something in between when the ice is 7-12 inches. over 12" the gas will be used.
anyone got a fuel drill  and just an adapter they can throw on a scale...lol? 

Offline alvanwie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Milwaukee Fuel 18v drill, two 5ah batteries, support handle, adapter, and a 8 inch Lazor auger with cover weighs in at 15 pounds. Everything you need to drill holes all day.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:52 PM »
Milwaukee Fuel 18v drill, two 5ah batteries, support handle, adapter, and a 8 inch Lazor auger with cover weighs in at 15 pounds. Everything you need to drill holes all day.

My 6 in lazer, fuel 18V, handle, and adaptor come in just over 13 lbs.

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:07 PM »
Fuel drill & K-drill bit 10lb .

Offline A- BOMBS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:19 PM »
THANKS FOR THE INFO...
LOVE THE K DRILL FROM WHAT IVE SEEN SO FAR

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:54 AM »
I have 7" blades on an 8" auger bit and with drill, 5 ah battery, plate, extension, auger I think mine is about 16 pounds give or take. I weighed it when I first got it all together early season so I don't remember exactly

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:23 PM »
Ive snapped 2 handles on the Milwaukee with the lazer setup. It catches just before punching through sometimes and thats where the issue happens i beleive. The nils solved the problem for me and never catches plus it has the plate already built into the auger so it doesn't fall through the hole. Nils with the powerhead is a beast. I havnt tried k drill yet have heard good things.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2017, 09:47 PM »
Also heard several cases of welds breaking on the plates.

Not..

There are no welds, what's wrong with you?

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.