The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: This weather  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
This weather
« on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:35 AM »
Man this weather has me bummed! Being i live on Champlain and have watched the ice come and go and come and go. Only a few bays have taken good ice and then the inland sea finally took but i doubt that after this warm spell and rain it will still be frozen over.  Suppose to get cold again Saturday morning and then next week go right back up into the mid 40's for almost the  whole week with some rain possible. I know we are only at the beginning of winter but we are already half way through January and i don't see any cold weather in the forecast so that puts us at the end of January. who knows how long into February it will be before it gets cold enough to freeze the water outside the bays. Could be a short season if we get to fish out side the bays at all this year! Have liked to fish places like Tabors and Campbell but who know with this weather. UGH... :( :( :-\
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: This weather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:01 AM »
So far none of my favorite places even have ice. Last winter I was hitting them by boat almost all winter.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Well so long as there is some ice when them there WHITES get to runnin' the masses will be happy  ;D ;D

I live in south central VT, the little mountain lakes and ponds have good ice. Fishing is a little slow compared to Lake Champlain but I'll take it.

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:48 AM »
After the cold weather last weekend I measured the ice on Monday and we had a good 2" in Grand Isle, I thought we were well on our to fish the sea. The wind on Tuesday took care of that ice, starting from scratch again!!!!
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:53 AM »
After the cold weather last weekend I measured the ice on Monday and we had a good 2" in Grand Isle, I thought we were well on our to fish the sea. The wind on Tuesday took care of that ice, starting from scratch again!!!!

Keelers still have ice?

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:34 AM »
 >:(  :(  :'( Hopefully there will be ice by the time the trout opener roles around. We haven't had a good winter in two years now! Frustrating to have my favorite season of the year cut short in the time of my life when I have the most free time to enjoy it!! It would be nice to be able to drive out on the inland Sea in chase of some big schools of perch. Be safe and Tight Line to ALL  :tipup:
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:59 AM »
this weather sucks, we were just starting to get some ice north of the wa/cp bridge. i bet it all left, it did here in ferrisburgh.

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I know ..i looked at that ice map someone had posted.
Looked like not much south of st albans bay.
Definitly dismal for our little great lake. :-\

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:06 AM »
>:(  :(  :'( Hopefully there will be ice by the time the trout opener roles around. We haven't had a good winter in two years now! Frustrating to have my favorite season of the year cut short in the time of my life when I have the most free time to enjoy it!! It would be nice to be able to drive out on the inland Sea in chase of some big schools of perch. Be safe and Tight Line to ALL  :tipup:
Its sad to say when your my age, (over 50) there might not be much of a ice fishing season.
I've watched the change happen now for years.
Every 3 or 4 years a good year.
Enjoy it now while you can.
Maybe AL Gore was right.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Ice out to the island in Keeler Bay, then open water all the way north to St Albans Bay or at least that I can see. Don't know ice condition in Keelers, someone was out towards the swamp portion.
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:08 AM »
Ice out to the island in Keeler Bay, then open water all the way north to St Albans Bay or at least that I can see. Don't know ice condition in Keelers, someone was out towards the swamp portion.

Thanks for the scoop. Think we'll hold off a few more weeks on the trek north  :tipup:

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Holy moly, I just took a look at the 10 day forecast....ice is going to take a serious beating all next week and weekend so I suggest getting out this weekend if you can.  :tipup:

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Many of the island bays have locked up and sustained ice. The inland sea was sketchy anchor ice last weekend and not a soul out there for good reason. The combination of wind and rain def didnt help us in any way. Going to make rounds in a little bit to see the damage up here in the northcountry.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Glad I have Monday off. Really going to get after it this weekend because everything after that is looking spotty.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:59 AM »
If the 10 day holds, I will be working on sugar lines next weekend.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:45 AM »
If the forecast holds for next weekend, I will be launching the boat from coast guard launch chasing after some lakers and salmon on open water.

Offline kradimus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:50 AM »
anyone know how north hero is looking ice wise? plan on going there the 20th.

thanks

Offline macho insecurity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Glad I have Monday off. Really going to get after it this weekend because everything after that is looking spotty.
same, but i'm still plenty bummed. would hate to waste the last long weekend we'll have for a while.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2017, 05:49 PM »
This might be the last safe weekend for a while.  Starting Tuesday the 17th it's gonna be in the 40's for close to a week.  This season might be shot.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2017, 05:33 AM »
If the 10 day holds, I will be working on sugar lines next weekend.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:57 AM »
I think as long as the wind stays down we will survive
the next week or so.sugaring has been coming earlier
and earlier.. :-\ ..i too have been doing this a long time.
The season just keeps getting shorter..is what it is...

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Champlain used to freeze over almost every year.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:09 AM »
Yeah and a dime bag used to cost a dime!

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Change the motor and gear oil in your boat I think we'll be fishing open water sooner than we thought!!

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Change the motor and gear oil in your boat I think we'll be fishing open water sooner than we thought!!

Um....several of us fish Lake Champlain open water for salmon and lakers into January. We busted through skim ice to fish the main lake on Tuesday, landed a few lakers. It's looking like fishable water into February provided the launches aren't too iced up.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2017, 09:02 AM »
I boat on the lake until I can't any more.... which was almost nothing last year.

Randy

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:33 AM »
I wasn't insinuating that no one fished in a boat in the winter. I only fish rivers with are either closed or covered in ice. My point was they'll thaw out soon enough

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Looks like it's setting up for colder temps after Saturday. There may be hope for some ice near me yet.

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.