Author Topic: Word to the Wise  (Read 3530 times)

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Word to the Wise
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:46 PM »
I have never in my life heard of someone telling a fish story

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2017, 04:19 PM »
I believe I once caught a 3 lb.+ crappie out of a 6" hole ;D no pics to prove it tho but PROMISE I did ;) serious tho,just carry a tape with ya cause when you do catch a true trophy it is always nice to be able to positively in your mind know you are not just telling a fish story ( not that I have ever told one) ;D good thread Doug

Offline fishygene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Doug from all the people ive met you are one class act.  gene

Offline slabslayer77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing and they are hooked for life.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:26 PM »
The internet has given a voice to many people who would not be as bold in person. I dont mean that in a threatening way, just saying that it gives people a sense of anonymity that they can hide behind. Another thing to keep in mind, is that digital words in a forum do not convey tone or sarcasm very well. Sometimes people are just trying to be funny, but it doesn't come across. very well.
Pro Staff for 3 Northern Jigs

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:17 PM »
I heard there are cat fish so big at the bottom of the dam at Dale Hollow...that scuba divers are afraid to go down there!!!

Every snapping turtle ever seen..is big as a wash tub!!

Also..every deer my wife see's is a BIG deer..lol.

Hey folks...at least we know when someone is BS'ing us about fish.

Paul

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:23 PM »
In the END it only matters to the story teller. LOL
Tom

Offline Juan bond

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The lakes are full of iceholes!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:00 AM »
Great post High Tide, always liked what you post here. Guys calling me out in 12" gills being pulled thru the hole are the main problem with this site and is a big reason why there are so many "lurkers". Assuming a man is lying because he doesn't have pics is ridiculous. I've been nothing but honest on this site over the years with ice reports, verified with a tape measure, fish reports, verified with a count and tape measure and I'm called out? I'm as avid as anyone! Maybe our little to no ice seasons down here are the reason the state park is loaded with big gills? Maybe some are so used to filling buckets with 6 and 7" gills, they refuse to accept anything other than their own reality? I've been at this for 34 years, obviously ate fish that some, I guess would mount, and I'll continue to do so. I really wish you guys could experience beaver bay on lake Kickapoo in shakamak state park when the bite is on,,,.all doubts would be forgotten. Full time lurker now guys, be safe,,Juan bond out!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:35 AM »
I agree with taping your fish,BUT just about everyone on I.S.puts the nose of the fish on the 1/2 inch mark and ends on in the middle of an inch mark and gains a inch. Some guy's even embellish a measurement that's a picture. Do you really believe people are going to buy that? A fish is what it is,if the ruler says 10" it's 10" not 11.5

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words fellas, glad some enjoyed the post and peaked the interest of others. I enjoyed the conversation, as well. I'll be hanging out at the Wild Indiana show in Kokomo on Sunday at 11:00 (Im letting my fishing partner handle the seminar) but plan on talking fishing... hope to cross paths.

Gene, I need a new order when you get the right kip tail! Hope you're doing well my friend.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:18 PM »
I agree with taping your fish,BUT just about everyone on I.S.puts the nose of the fish on the 1/2 inch mark and ends on in the middle of an inch mark and gains a inch. Some guy's even embellish a measurement that's a picture. Do you really believe people are going to buy that? A fish is what it is,if the ruler says 10" it's 10" not 11.5

Angle of pic can definitely cause a fish beside a tape look short by 1/2 inch or more, especially if the tape is further from camera than the fish.  It also makes the nose look like it is not even depending on the angle. The right way to do it would be to have the fish on top of the tape, but then you get those that alter the tape under the fish to make it look bigger.  I have never seen a pic of a 12 or 13 inch true blue gill caught in public waters in Indiana.  Just one time I would like to see one since many claim to have caught them. I know if I caught one that big there would be several pics of it saved for the album and maybe a mount of it.

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:12 PM »
Some great knowledge here you sure can learn a lot from some of these posts. :tipup: :afro:

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Angle of pic can definitely cause a fish beside a tape look short by 1/2 inch or more, especially if the tape is further from camera than the fish.  It also makes the nose look like it is not even depending on the angle.

I think that all of my pictures suffer from that phenomenon.   ;D

I have never seen a pic of a 12 or 13 inch true blue gill caught in public waters in Indiana.  Just one time I would like to see one since many claim to have caught them.

Bluegills that size are definitely not commonplace.  I have seen ONE in person.  It dwarfed a 10.5" the guy had in his bucket.

I have never broken the 10" mark (although it was tempting to round a 9 and 7/8's up).  Then again, I actually measure anything that I think will be close.  I have been disappointed many, many times.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline apricot brandy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2017, 07:58 PM »
Maybe I'm naïve, but why would anyone take a tape with them, get it out, and not measure a fish correctly. I don't agree with the posts that implied that was happening. That negates even getting the tape out. If you're going to misrepresent  your catch, why get the darn thing out? I like to always measure thickness of the ice because someone will always ask. When cleaning, there is always a tape on the cleaning table. I want to monitor my catches. When asked what size they were, I can accurately answer.
bobbers down- flags up

Offline A- BOMBS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2017, 08:13 PM »
i dont carry a tape with me because if its tape worthy...its going in the bucket
i cant believe how many look 10 on the ice and i get home and just 9" and how many times a 9 is an 8" lol
also after you fish an area for years yo get accustomed to how the fish look.  i have and do spend alot of time on wawasee however i have been fishing another lake the last couple years and the gills look like tanks compared to the skinny wawasee fish.  really threw me off. same lengths but are so much thicker it is deceiving. again, not intentional just different fish.

Offline bottom bouncer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Simple solution to putting the fishes nose on the end of the tape problem, use a bump board. I have one in my boat from the old days it is called the "golden rule", not sure if they still make them. For those unfamiliar with the concept it is an L shaped board with 0 being the end that the fishes nose bumps, hence the name, and a ruler that the fish lays on. Bump the fishes nose to the end and measure/photo where the tail laps the rule.
 I also have one I made from a chunk of plastic gutter with an end cap and a catch and release peal and stick ruler with the approximate weights by length of bass, pike, walleye and crappie. Wet the gutter lay the fish on the bump board, measure, get approximate weight and slide the fish back in the water. Works great for slot size limit lakes.

Being retired is turning into hard work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.