Author Topic: Tips for horsethief reservoir  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tips for horsethief reservoir
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Taking my son and a buddy with his kids to the youth ice fishing day. It's only my 3rd year ice fishing.

Any tips for stocker trout on horsethief?

James

Offline Perch Freak

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tips for horsethief reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Jigs tipped with nightcrawlers or wax worms. These can be jigged or left dead stick. You can also do the ol' worm and marshmallow on a baitholder. Small jigging spoons like a VMC tingler or PK Predator work well too.
There will be bait provided by Sportsman's Warehouse. Be sure to get an Ice Rod combo for the kids at the IDFG booth (provided by Idaho Youth Outdoors)

Wear your waterproof boots and bring extra socks! Get there before 10am if you want decent parking. We will be ready to roll with registration by about 9:30.
Event officially starts at 10am. It's a good time! We'll see you there. 

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:53 PM »
Thanks. We're meeting friends at 7am in Eagle and hope to be there by 9:30. Last year we were later and kids missed out on some stuff.

I've got meal worms and crawlers. Forgot that sportsmans would be giving out bait. One less thing to worry about.

We'll be there with our smitty sled. Hopefully the next couple of days will solidify the slush on top.
James

Offline SUSHI MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:09 AM »
I use the panfish tube/jigs with a meal/wax worm or Berkley powerbait salmon eggs (red). I drop the line about 3 to 5 feet under the ice because the trout seem to like to feed just below the ice.  The trout seem to make the rounds with Horsethief and the bite can be hot for 30 minutes and then taper off for an hour or two and then come back on.  I hope they plow the boat dock/park area well because the last time I was there it was deep in snow with no parking available until the end of the road by the dam.
"A man's home is his castle....but his shanty is his sanctuary"

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
James

Offline kalde

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:14 PM »
Don't be afraid to fish close to shore, especially if you are by the dam. The trout are often in the middle to upper part of the water column as well.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Just reporting back. Got up there to -11 or so this morning. A beautiful day developed with lots of sun.

A kind volunteer drilled 14 holes for us..

We caught 4 fish, all decent size for stockers. A few were retired brood stock.

All were caught off worms, 3 with a jaw jacker and one dead stick while a rod was being jagged next to it.

Thanks for the tips. 
James

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.