The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils not cutting!  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nils not cutting!
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:16 PM »
I have a 6" nils and this is my second year using it. I have never abused it and have always put the guard on when finished. When I look at the cutting edge it seems to be real sharp. When using it sometimes it seems as though it's just spinning and not cutting, it seems as though it's not grabbing even when I try to put some weight on it. The guy I fish with says it's the ice. Has anyone else had this or do I need to get sharpened? It does not do it all of the time. Could it be the ice?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Nils not cutting!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:42 PM »
I would say it definitely needs sharpening.   Send it off to Frank (SharpNils)

Offline riverfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:35 PM »
 X2 Send it to Frank. She'll cut when ya get er back!

Fishmon

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:33 AM »
One visit to Frank and your  Nils is back in business. ;D

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Couple of things before you send it to Frank. Be sure there is no ice on the blade. Mine behaves as you describe when I get any ice build up on the blade. Does it cut the first hole OK?  Never put any downward pressure as it will dull or bend your blade.

Buy the way, I highly recommend Frank's work. Blades come back better than new.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:16 AM »
 I'm honored by your confidence,  a humble Huge Thanks!

As said unless you have ice built up it sounds like its time for sharpening.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:23 AM »
X3 on the ice build up, if mine gets ice on it i melt it off with my heater. Have had mine for ten years and never had it sharpened still cuts lile new

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Mine is 2 years old and sharp as a razor, thinking about how to use it as a combo fillet knife/auger

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:54 AM »
I don't have a clue why it won't cut all of a sudden! I shipped it off to Frank today!

Offline Bartb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2017, 09:53 AM »
I don't have a clue why it won't cut all of a sudden! I shipped it off to Frank today!

Mine did the same thing, I sent it to Frank.  When I got it back I shaved my arm hair with it and it punched holes like a hot knife thru butter.  It's so sharp now it scares me!
I fish a lot....I catch a little.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:40 AM »

Been running Nils augers for 20 years now.   Sometimes it just happens.  I'm still not sure why, but about once every 3 or 4 years, my 6" nils just stops cutting well, and i need to start putting down pressure on it to get it to cut.

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Curious how much it costs to have frank sharpen a nils? I've had my 6''  for two years and its doing the same thing.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Drilled mine into the mud yesterday, it now needs a new edge... you need to baby these blades, I ordered a spare blade so I will swap it and send mine off
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Drilled mine into the mud yesterday, it now needs a new edge... you need to baby these blades, I ordered a spare blade so I will swap it and send mine off
I don't think there are any ice blades made for drilling mud.  :-\  baby? - nope - treat appropriately? - Yes.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:00 PM »
So my dad has an older 'ish Nils and he hates the thing because it stopped cutting well the first year, most likely it was user error but it did quit pretty quick.  I have been thinking about getting it sharpened for him because it was sweet when it did work.  What does a sharpening cost? Also it is one of the ones with the power point, do they even make those anymore?  Think it is more worth it just to get a new head?

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Frank charges $20 bucks for sharpening and you pays for the postage ---to and from.  Total cost to get my 6 inch sharpened was $34.00

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:33 AM »
So my dad has an older 'ish Nils and he hates the thing because it stopped cutting well the first year, most likely it was user error but it did quit pretty quick.  I have been thinking about getting it sharpened for him because it was sweet when it did work.  What does a sharpening cost? Also it is one of the ones with the power point, do they even make those anymore?  Think it is more worth it just to get a new head?

Thats like letting a Porsche collect dust in the garage because it has a flat tire. 
Lets get that Nils back on the ice where it belongs.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:17 AM »
Great comparison, Frank -  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:01 AM »
  Thats like letting a Porsche collect dust in the garage because it has a flat tire. 

It is a shame, but I may have to wait until next year with all the money I've been spending. 

So does anyone still use a head with a power point?  We always felt like that was what held it back, that power point always kind of skipped around the ice.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:27 AM »
  Power point isn't going to stop the blade from cutting unless its been damaged.  They get sharpened and adjusted at the same time.

"It is a shame, but I may have to wait until next year with all the money I've been spending."

I figured that and why I offered to fix your flat tire with free air.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:09 PM »
A big Thank you to Frank! I could not believe the quick turn around time. I live in NY. and Frank received my nils head to be sharpened on Friday. It was back on my porch on Monday WOW!  :)

Fishmon

« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Frank rules! :tipup:  He is the best.  I use my Nils with a Milwaukee M-18 drill.  Let the Nils do the work and amaze yourself and friends how fast this combination will cut holes.

Never let your friends or yourself use the Nils to bang on old holes trying to open them.  Just cut a new one.  Using the Nils like a spud bar will ensure a return trip to Frank.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:40 PM »

Hey frank have you heard what power head nils is going to? I wouldnt mind getting one for my nils. love me the clam plate and milwaukee. To the point once nils picks a new power head I'm gonna sell my Jiffy model 30 off and get the power head nils goes to.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2017, 06:43 AM »
  Nothing that I know of for a replacement gas powerhead yet.   Maybe something in works in electric.  It has to be 400+ RPMs to take advantage of the Nils low torque and speed of cut.   BUT I think we already have great alternative. 

I've been using the Milwaukee 2704 on an 8" Nils when I'm out fishing.   It has surpassed all my expectations,  I'm simply awestruck every time I use it.    I think I can safely say I've drilled more holes then anyone on the planet with a Nils.  I would definitely recommend this combo as your primary, go to drilling rig.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2017, 01:39 PM »
  Nothing that I know of for a replacement gas powerhead yet.   Maybe something in works in electric.  It has to be 400+ RPMs to take advantage of the Nils low torque and speed of cut.   BUT I think we already have great alternative. 

I've been using the Milwaukee 2704 on an 8" Nils when I'm out fishing.   It has surpassed all my expectations,  I'm simply awestruck every time I use it.    I think I can safely say I've drilled more holes then anyone on the planet with a Nils.  I would definitely recommend this combo as your primary, go to drilling rig.

Frank not using a nils anymore but love my drill set up. Tanaka is in the barn. I guess i should sell it.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:21 PM »

Yep. Got a gen 2 clam plate with dipped handles. Had a 2604 on it did fine. put a 2704 on it and havent used my gas jiffy yet. I'm thinking with this working so well and nils not being in the power head biz they might not pair it with a power head anymore.....just let people get whatever they want for a power head. Dont know why, just feel I need to have a gas power head unit for the just in case........

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:18 PM »
 Time will tell but if any auger is in the forefront of breaking though that barrier of electric,,, It has to be one with less torque to drill but good speed of cut.   That equates to more holes per battery and with an electric drill thats Yuge.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Fank I bought a nils power point head off craigslist that you sharpened for $40. I tougched the head up with paint this summer so it looked good and to protect the steel. Man it cut like crap.....after about two holes the paint musta cleaned off the blades....wow cuts like a dream.

One question how wide is the blade span acutally suppose to be? I measured mine at 8.5in for the 8in. Is that normal?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2017, 06:13 PM »
You there frank?

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:04 AM »
  Sorry I missed your question.     I'd say that is normal.   If you could see whats happening when cutting,  chips are created. It would be logical those chips can extend past the outside edge of the blade.   Unlike a steel drill bit, the ice auger head is its own guide so there is going to be a little float.     You have an 8 blade with an 8" dia.. 
Most or if not all blades made in the past 5 years are 7 11/16th".   Add the above explanation and you end up at around 8".
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.