The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Floating ball fish finders  (Read 750 times)

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Floating ball fish finders
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Hi all,

Got a couple of questions from guys when I was out on Holter the other day about my ball fish finder I use. They had heard of them, but hadn't ever seen them before, so thought I'd give some pros and cons of them compared to traditional flashers, hopefully to inform some new folks on them, since knowledge appears to be lacking on the topic.I use it for ice fishing and out of the kayak, of course only on non-windy days where I don't have to worry about dumping over. The ones I've had have been FishHunter brand. Their Military Grade bluetooth one, and Pro version wifi connected one. I just use a couple phones to connect them to.

Pros- More mobile than a traditional flasher, take up less space, about 1/2 the price, have both a flasher and raw data function that can be used simultaneously, read jigs pretty well (on the pro one, even down to 60 ft), even micro jigs (down to about 35 ft).
Cons- Not as durable as a traditional flasher, not as easy to read a phone screen as a flasher display, battery life (about 6-8 hours off a full charge) is shorter than a flasher, if phone batteries get cold they die quickly and you lose your display, connectivity issues to the phone (sometimes phones drop the signal, or if you accidentally walk out of range with your phone in your pocket).

Anyone else out there that uses one of these?

Offline TheFishingDoctor

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Floating ball fish finders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 01:33 PM »
I have also used the FishHunter ball. I have three major issues with this setup.

#1 - Connectivity to the phone is not reliable. When I go ice fishing and it's -15 I don't want to be messing around trying to get my Bluetooth connection to work.

#2 - Unless you're fishing in a tent or shack and can set your phone down in a visible area, it's near impossible to hold your phone while fishing.

#3 - Phone battery life is awfully short when it gets cold.

In my opinion, the only real advantage of the phone and ball setup compared to standard flashers is the price. If you only fish in a heated tent, then it might work for you. Otherwise, it's not worth the savings.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:01 PM »
So you've experienced the same things I have with these. Good to hear someone else has tried them for ice fishing in the same conditions I have.

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:54 PM »
I have a Fish Hunter model. I don't use it a lot for ice fishing now that I have a Vexilar. I bought it for fishing from shore in summer. I have used it for ice fishing and have experienced the same issues already mentioned. Additionally, I seem to have issues with getting the device to mark fish.

Offline MTsmkj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:46 AM »
I just got the Deeper 3.0 and used it on Holter the other day. Worked real well. We were at 52' FOW and it tracked my jigging 6" off the bottom perfectly. Had a school of perch under me for about 45 mins. and lit up the entire time. Pulled about 15 perch out. Took about an hour to get the sensitivity dialed in to where I wanted it but thats only because I didnt know what I was doing. I was a little uncomfortable having my phone out there holding it and jigging. I bought a selfie stick for 10$ yesterday that I think is gonna work real well for setting it up to watch. I think you could also get a little tripod and mount your phone to it also. Pretty cool little sonar all in all. Headed out to the lake again today!

Offline MTsmkj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2017, 01:28 AM »
Caught 7 more fish in an hour and a half today. All showed up on the Deeper at 56 FOW. Its a game changer for me!

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Wouldn't have worked in over half the trips I've gone on this year just too cold and the phone would die in a couple minutes. The vexilar on the other hand takes everything you throw at it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.