Author Topic: Crappie fishing clear water barrow pits  (Read 547 times)

Offline illinoisriverfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Crappie fishing clear water barrow pits
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:59 PM »
First off first post on this page! Second, I have a barrow pit that is a crappie honey hole in the open water season that we have been getting shutout on during ice season. It's very clear water with its deepest hole of 22ft that is relatively small in size. The good majority of the lake which is about 10 acers in size is about 12 foot in depth with sharp banks and weed growth on the shallow ends before the breaks. We have drilled a ton of holes and have marked no fish. Other crappie lakes you can at least see the crappie suspended throughout the water table. I am looking for any help in tactics, tips, or success you may have had on clear water crappie. We know they are in there! Thanks in advance! 

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Crappie fishing clear water barrow pits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Welcome aboard!! Please put your location in your profile, and good luck in your search!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Following

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:31 PM »
i would try the weed edge.  have had luck right on the weed edge with the crappie coming in and out of there feeding.  right before sun down it should be on fire.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:36 PM »
First off first post on this page! Second, I have a barrow pit that is a crappie honey hole in the open water season that we have been getting shutout on during ice season. It's very clear water with its deepest hole of 22ft that is relatively small in size. The good majority of the lake which is about 10 acers in size is about 12 foot in depth with sharp banks and weed growth on the shallow ends before the breaks. We have drilled a ton of holes and have marked no fish. Other crappie lakes you can at least see the crappie suspended throughout the water table. I am looking for any help in tactics, tips, or success you may have had on clear water crappie. We know they are in there! Thanks in advance!

I fish quite a few barrow pits similar in size and smaller. Almost ALWAYS the crappies are schooled up in tight roaming schools. The only way to stay on them is to find the general area they are running and swiss cheese the area, then hole hop to stay on the school.

Small natural colored tungsten heads with brown, motoroil, or clear colored plastics.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:40 PM »
WTH is a borrow pit?
Catching Any?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 07:46 PM »
WTH is a borrow pit?

When the state or county makes highways and needs to build up an area higher, they seek land from close by farmers or landowners. They dig the dirt/clay for the roads which leaves a nice pond or lake, then usually the DNR will come and stock it for free (at least they do in Iowa) and offer to buy the surrounding land to make a public fishing/hunting area if they think it is worth it. If you choose not to sell, you get a free pond/lake stocked with bluegill, bass, catfish, and sometimes crappie.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.