The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Snowmobile vs ATV for ice fishing  (Read 12088 times)

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowmobile vs ATV for ice fishing
« on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:23 AM »
What do you think is a better option for ice fishing, a snowmobile or an ATV?  And why?  Thanks for your time.

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
Re: Snowmobile vs ATV for ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2017, 04:13 AM »
I think this decision rests on how much snow you get. My Polaris 500 without chains is good up to about 12 inches of snow.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:32 AM »
An ATV is more versatile and can be used year around..  but if you get alot of snow a snowmobile may be the way to go..IMHO and in my situation before I spent the amount of money it costs to put tracks on an ATV I would buy a used sled and have both...I have room to store both and don't mind maintaining 2 rigs...

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:15 AM »
You can get a air cooler snowmobile used for around $1000. 90'S Polaris indy's are great and easy to work on. With a small amount of studs in the track you will never get stuck.I feel snowmobiles are a lot safer on the ice. They displace there weight more than a 4 wheeler.Or you could get a brand new one for around 6k and 125.00 a month
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:27 AM »
I asked myself this same question a few years back....it was answered a few different ways.  1. Went on a ice fishing trip to the Traverse City area in early March with 2 borrowed quads....could not get more than 30 yds from shore because the snow was too deep..locals had 1980's sleds that handled the snow no problem. 2. I Found a used 1996 snowmobile for $400 (best deal ever)....also used sleds are way cheaper than used 4x4 quads.  They both have their pluses and minuses, just need to figure which one works best for you.

Update:  My sled is liquid cooled but I installed a set of ice scratchers on it, and when there is no snow they really throw the ice shards onto the cooling system....also my shanty was completely covered in ice/snow after a trip across a lake by them. If installed in the correct location they work great.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline cweaver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:25 AM »
I struggled with this very question as well.  I finally pulled the trigger on an ATV last summer.  My main reason for this was that I don't have room for both and I would use an ATV year round.  I also justified it further to the spousal unit by getting a plow blade on it to plow the drive the 3 times a year we get enough snow to make it worth while.  I also have found that 90% of the time there is not enough snow on the lakes I fish (Higgins and further south) to hamper my travel.  I will echo what others have said though, it's a personal preference decision.

Offline Mittenman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 10:42 AM »
As others have commented which is better depends on your fishing style/lifestyle When actually out on the lake a snowmobile is better imo but quads are nice if you have a hub or small flipover that you can carry on the back rack. It eliminates needing a trailer. I also like a quad when parking aways away from the water on a gravel road that I have to drive down.
A compariable used snowmobile can be bought for about a 1/3 or even 1/4 of what a quad cost. It's safe (at reasonable speeds)  AND legal in MI to carry a passenger on a snowmobile even if not designated as a 2 up model an ATV must be designated as 2 up to be legal. There are days but not many (where I fish but not everywhere) that snowmobiles will get you out when an ATV won't but it's rare. Those are the factors that I'd consider when making a choice.
As someone else said a 90's Polaris Indy is a great choice at a very reasonable price for a fishing sled and lots of them on Craigslist. The ideal sleds for fishing are fan cooled with electric start and reverse.
In a nutshell I think snowmobiles have the advantage when actually on the lake especially after fresh heavy snowfall or slush. And are a lot less expensive. Quads obviously have the year around factor and if you're not towing a shanty behind it it's nice to be able to load everything on a ATV and drive it up into the back of your truck bed with no trailer or tiedowns to deal with.

Offline Jig_Pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Snowmobile is the best choice for me. I use my quad and Ranger but when the snow is deep then the sled is the option. Got a 500.00 sled that I use just for fishing and it works fine in the deeper snow. Plus the sled is lighter than my Ranger so I don't have to wait for super thick ice before I drive the sled.

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:48 AM »
I use my quad most of the time. If snow is deep, I'll break out the snowmobile. This year I haven't been able to use either......yet.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:23 PM »
Like stated earlier if your used to 12" or more you better get a snowmobile or some Iversons.
Catching Any?

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:24 PM »
I tried the sled thing, used two on erie two years ago n they sucked because they were liquid cooled so either make sure theres snow on the lake or go with fan cooled, just my experience with them, sold both the following summer

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:31 PM »
I bought one of each.
I bought a 1994 skidoo safari 377 for about $500. It requires a bit of annual maintenance but great for ice fishing.
I also bought a used 1998 Yamaha big bear 350.
Both have their uses and specific time to take out.

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:36 PM »
Got'em both. Currently using the Skidoo to get out to the fish house. Snow is 10 -12 inches deep.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Like stated earlier if your used to 12" or more you better get a snowmobile or some Iversons.

Sorry, iverson snowshoes
Catching Any?

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:46 AM »
If riding trails during the other 3 seasons is not something you plan on doing, then get a fan cooled sled.  As mentioned, you can pick one up fairly cheap or go full tilt boogey and buy a new one for about what you would pay for a new quad.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I seem to find myself on lakes with lots of slush under 6" of snow. Is one better than the other?
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline steak91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:17 AM »
I always used a quad but after digging myself out of snow and slush over and over I bought a fan cooled sled.  Wouldn't go back to the quad!

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:23 AM »
Why the fan cooled instead of liquid cooled sled?

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Why the fan cooled instead of liquid cooled sled?
If there's no snow on ice you'll over heat, but you can get a scraper that actually will throw ice into you heat exchanger.
Catching Any?

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:45 AM »
Ya they make ice scrapers, i was over it though, even with snow i would like 15 mph and after a couple miles it would overheat cuz it wasnt throwing enough snow up, did decemt on erie when there was some snow and i would scoot along pretty good but not good enough cuz thats the only reason i got them was for lakes like erie

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:58 AM »
I prefer a sled because the only time you can't use a sled is when there is no snow, and when there is no snow it's easy walking. There are a lot of days that a sled is the only way you are pulling that gear out there.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:20 PM »
My Polaris stinks without chains. Don't smell much better with them.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:45 PM »
steve have you made up your mind? BTW we neighbors
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Hosedragger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I too am looking for something to pull my otter and my 11 year old son. I am leaning towards a snowmobile instead of atv. I see bad reviews on some Polaris fan cooled. Any solid older brands I should keep my eye open for? I just want one for fishing, not trying to race down trails. Just to get out on the larger lakes.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2017, 06:02 AM »
I too am looking for something to pull my otter and my 11 year old son. I am leaning towards a snowmobile instead of atv. I see bad reviews on some Polaris fan cooled. Any solid older brands I should keep my eye open for? I just want one for fishing, not trying to race down trails. Just to get out on the larger lakes.

I have been told that the sled I got has a "bullet proof" engine....had no idea when I got it....96 Yamaha V-Max XT, has a 2 cylinder 600cc liquid cooled engine, they say to stay away from the 3 cylinder engines of that era no matter the brand. 
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline Dasher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Both in my opinion.  I have Yamaha Grizzly 550 with front and rear diff lockers.........Works great to about 2 foot of snow.   Now slush is another problem yet when conditions get extreme foot of slush and snow I use the sled..air cooled.
I have gotten stuck with the sled as well on Burt lake.  Buried myself in too much slush under the snow.  If you just had one to buy for ice fishing in my opinion an air cooled sled is the way to go.  Used one is pretty reasonable on cost. 

Offline Hosedragger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Thanks, I see a lot of liquid cooled ones. I will just keep my eye out on Craig's list.

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Keep in mind an old sled means 2 hours of working on it for every 1 hour of riding it.

Offline Hosedragger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:08 AM »
Maybe I should just get a team of dogs.

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:00 PM »
steve have you made up your mind? BTW we neighbors

Haven't made a decision yet.  With the warm weather and no ice, the priority list got reshuffled.  I like the idea of the ATV for use during the rest of the year, but with all the suggestions for a used sled (didn't realize they were that affordable), I may have to consider getting both.  Not a fan of "new" because of the price, but could definitely pull off getting "used" or even "gently used".

Thanks everyone for your input.  If you have more advice, please post.

@jdgambler: whereabouts?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.